1994 cr125 no spark.

bsharkey
Not sure what's up. Just finished this bike but I don't know prior history. I made sure the motor is grounded to the frame I check continuity there I also made sure the frame is bear where the coil mounts up and everything is grounded I check continuity through the stator in the pickup and they both seem fine the coil seems fine too but I'm not sure what kind of readings I'm supposed to be having any help would be truly appreciated
|
Paw Paw 271
2/26/2017 5:55pm
The coil OHMs should be checked on the primary and the secondary sides. You can look up coil testing on YOUTUBE.com for some guidance. You are looking for an OHMS reading above about 16 and a secondary reading somewhere under 12 or so. A service manual will have the exact readings you are looking for.
Have you tried unscrewing the plug cap from the coil wire and then cutting that wire back by 1/4" and the screwing the cap back into the wire. That is a good place to check as a bad connection there is common.

Paw Paw
2/26/2017 6:01pm
Do yourself a favor and just buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-1992-1994-CR125R-SERVICE-MANUAL-/38039074…

I looked for a free one for you online, but couldn't find one

It will be the best $12.50 you ever spend on the bike. Service manual will show all the electrical specs like how many Ohms of resistance the stator coils should have, etc. Plus loads of other good info to have. You'll learn a lot and most importantly you'll know your bike is rock solid (or if it's not, how to get it there!)
bsharkey
2/26/2017 7:52pm
someone sent me a file with the ohms reading on every part for the electrical. it looks like the secondary side of the coil was bad it was open. pretty cool it said what color the wires were and exactly what to check and the readings
SLOWTIME
2/26/2017 8:34pm
Also double check the stator timing mark is aligned with the little arrow in the case.

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
2/27/2017 4:11pm
If the secondary side readings are bad then do the coil wire cut I suggested and or replace the plug cap.
To verify this is the problem....Cut the wire as previously stated and then redo your OHM reading on the secondary side. If still not good, then replace the coil.

Paw Paw
bsharkey
3/6/2017 11:37am
ok im stumped now. ive replaced the coil when I knew it wasn't bad. tried a cdi from a buddys bike who worked. still no spark. ive made sure the coil mount and motor are both ground to the frame.checked the plug boot and coil wire, even cut it back a little bit, checked ohms readings on the coil, checked stator was 72 (blue to white wire) specs are 20-140 checked ohms from pulse coil 227(specs are 180-280). took the kill switch out of the loop. theres not much here,, any ideas
bsharkey
3/7/2017 11:30am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2017 11:33am
Have you disconnected the kill button?
yes long ago. so frustraited and the local shops don't seem to know anymore than I do. I now if I take it there they are just going to replace parts til they find it. one of the local shops told me " we don't work on stuff that old. our techs are all younger than that, they refereed me to a guy who knew about this stuff and after talking with him I had toild him everything I had done and even he was puzzled. basically told me to replace the stator. I spoke with a few guys and told them everything ive checked and they are puzzled as well. I guess my biggest question is can the stator be bad and still test ok
Tracktor
3/7/2017 1:22pm
Have you disconnected the kill button?
bsharkey wrote:
yes long ago. so frustraited and the local shops don't seem to know anymore than I do. I now if I take it there they are...
yes long ago. so frustraited and the local shops don't seem to know anymore than I do. I now if I take it there they are just going to replace parts til they find it. one of the local shops told me " we don't work on stuff that old. our techs are all younger than that, they refereed me to a guy who knew about this stuff and after talking with him I had toild him everything I had done and even he was puzzled. basically told me to replace the stator. I spoke with a few guys and told them everything ive checked and they are puzzled as well. I guess my biggest question is can the stator be bad and still test ok
Drive it down here and we can swap everything side by side with my 96. Still can't fins that CDI but have a running 96 sitting in the shop......
speed_racer
Fantasy
1939th
3/9/2017 8:26am
You tried a friends CDI
You replaced the coil
You checked the ohms for the stator and pick up, but try after heating with hair dryer.
You checked the connector pins front and back for a broken wire or pin on harness? Continuity check.
Pick up, stator, or harness? I would say CDI but you checked one with the same year bike.

Let us know when you figure it out.
tyler 13
3/9/2017 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2017 5:33pm
I've got a 94' cr250 and had weak/no spark
Specs okay according to Manuel but must be they say those specs and have you replace stator if in those specs
So new stator later runs great first kick plenty spark
87.4 ohms and 235 ohms on new stator
174ohms and 232ohms on old stator
Witch is in there specs
bronwynrayne
3/9/2017 11:54pm
I feel like peelout but I always gotta ask... Spark plug cap? You try removing it from the wire and checking spark directly from the wire rather than with a plug in?

Just a thought.

Post a reply to: 1994 cr125 no spark.

The Latest