17 HVA TC250 jetting

mxstate
Getting my new TC next WE and looking for some feedback on jetting.
I've been reading the ones on the KTM but looking at a sea level/high humidity spec. (I'm in Central FL)
I'll run stock exhaust and 96 ethanol free/Klotz R50 at 40:1
Can't wait to get back on a smoker!
|
Deetsmx
10/31/2016 1:23pm
I've been playing with the jetting for about the last month. I ordered the jd kit and did a lot of back and forth testing between stock and that. I've found the jd needle on clip 4, 35 pilot and 440 main work good. Also, put some vents in the airbox, it's choked up stock. I ran a vented airbox cover back to back against the stock one and couldn't believe it actually made the difference that it did. Stock needle with 37.5 main also works decent, but the jd hits harder in the mid.
riv187
10/31/2016 6:45pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I've been playing with the jetting for about the last month. I ordered the jd kit and did a lot of back and forth testing between...
I've been playing with the jetting for about the last month. I ordered the jd kit and did a lot of back and forth testing between stock and that. I've found the jd needle on clip 4, 35 pilot and 440 main work good. Also, put some vents in the airbox, it's choked up stock. I ran a vented airbox cover back to back against the stock one and couldn't believe it actually made the difference that it did. Stock needle with 37.5 main also works decent, but the jd hits harder in the mid.
Deetsmx, what premix ratio you run? Are you running race gas or a blend of it? Elevation?

I just got mine yesterday, and dealer suggested 40-1 instead of the 60-1,,for lubrication ,,,I know if I go 40-1 that'll lean the stock jetting without changing brass. Maybe a quick easy jetting solution?
mxstate
11/1/2016 6:52am
Just got feedback from the Dealer I'm buying from (GA, so rather close to FL conditions).
They have 3 customers with the same bike who are just fine with the stock jetting. He did mention that woods riders on TE models do have a few complains but nothing real bad

Just reading the number of posts on Ktmtalk or KTM UK is mind blowing (76+ pages??)
Some swear by the Lectron, other the JD Jetting kit, and some just use stock jets/needle and call it a day
I guess I'll start from there before touching anything.

I read something also about some issues with the reeds not sealing properly.

Came across this Youtube channel last night and the guys seems honest and knowing what he is doing
He has a few good videos on the 17 engine setup (TE models)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNP35wT5Rg

Deetsmx, can you post some pics of your airbox mod?

riv187
11/1/2016 7:39am
Mx State, yes I read same forum and youtube videos. His fix of filing the slide cutaway is simple and maybe the best suggestion.I saw a fancy side cover insert to help it breathe. You cut a rectangle hole and the part was baically screen with rubber grommet... I will test my bike at Bartow MX FL in next couple days,,,I have a baggy of jets, and will take a chainsaw file too.

The Shop

victor16
11/1/2016 7:42am
mxstate wrote:
Just got feedback from the Dealer I'm buying from (GA, so rather close to FL conditions). They have 3 customers with the same bike who are...
Just got feedback from the Dealer I'm buying from (GA, so rather close to FL conditions).
They have 3 customers with the same bike who are just fine with the stock jetting. He did mention that woods riders on TE models do have a few complains but nothing real bad

Just reading the number of posts on Ktmtalk or KTM UK is mind blowing (76+ pages??)
Some swear by the Lectron, other the JD Jetting kit, and some just use stock jets/needle and call it a day
I guess I'll start from there before touching anything.

I read something also about some issues with the reeds not sealing properly.

Came across this Youtube channel last night and the guys seems honest and knowing what he is doing
He has a few good videos on the 17 engine setup (TE models)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNP35wT5Rg

Deetsmx, can you post some pics of your airbox mod?

I have 4.5 hours on my new 2017 KTM 250sx. I am a decent/slow vet B rider on a really good day... lol. I'M 185 lbs, live in central Florida (gainesville) so I am pretty sure we ride about the same tracks (sea level and no higher than 400ft). I do mainly motocross, mix of 40:1 with pump gas. I can tell you that before buying the bike, I did read a lot of forums related to jetting these bikes (KTM and huskys) and it was overwhelming. there are many variables such as temp, humidity, elevation, type of riding (woods vs mx), skill level, type of gas, type of mix, etc
A lot of people dropped the needle to the second position and increased the main jet to 450 (stock is 440).. but...and a big but.. some of them tested their bikes at higher elevations like 1000ft or higher (so they needed to go leaner) and they were testing on hotter conditions 80-95° as we are right now in fl ( i tested last weekend between 65-80°) Also... remember most of our tracks are mid pack, soft, and sand tracks which also affect our jetting. ( if it is too sandy, you need to go a little richer on the main and maybe the AS or pilot.)
Anyway... your manual will tell you based on temp and altitude the recommended setting that IMO... is very close to be good. The main jet is a lititle lean so be aware on that. Ok... so since I'm a little heavy and ride Sandy tracks... this is my current setting... sea level, 40:1, pump gas, intermedia and soft terrain. (Stock in parenthesis)
Main 460 (440)
Pilot 42.5
Neddle 43-73
Pos 3
A/S 2 (1.5 when temps are 60-80 and 2 when 80-100)

I am not 100% if this is the best jetting for our conditions but my bIke is running pretry good and spark plug rea ding are almost perfect. I only have a few hours on it and need to try different combos... like dropping Neddle to second position but Going in on the a/s to compensate. I hope this helps. Sorry if I might not be accurate with the manual numbers... I am at the office and don't have the manual with me. Keep me posted if you find a good jetting please. enjoy the new ride.
mxstate
11/1/2016 9:22am
victor16,
i guess we might have came across each other. I usually ride at Pax
I'm 200 lb, 49 y/o vet C on a very good day.... So I might be able to get away with the stock main
I will run 40:1 with non ethanol gas.

Riv187, let us know after you do some brass/needle testing
The slide mod, seems a step in the right direction but I'm not crazy about this manual filing.
I have access to some machine shop and if I do the mod this will end up done on a milling machine.

I understand you got the TC too. Post some feedback once you get some seat time!

Deetsmx
11/1/2016 11:26am
Here is a pic of my stealthy air box mod. Got the plugs from an electrician, I think they are used on transformers. The stock jetting isn't really that far off, I was just playing around with it to get a bit more hit and top.

victor16
11/1/2016 12:00pm
Deetsmx wrote:
Here is a pic of my stealthy air box mod. Got the plugs from an electrician, I think they are used on transformers. The stock jetting...
Here is a pic of my stealthy air box mod. Got the plugs from an electrician, I think they are used on transformers. The stock jetting isn't really that far off, I was just playing around with it to get a bit more hit and top.

That is a factory looking mod... very nice.
riv187
11/1/2016 7:54pm
Today was 86* , 75% humidity and slight breeze. elevation maybe 200ft. Track was deep powder sand- Bartow Fl. Stock jetting,,ran fine up to top end. Pinged hard then,,so I backed off,, shifted and stayed in midrange.. I ran it easy. in midrange for a 2-3 laps,,played with forks,,then switched from 440 main to 460. Was better,,,but I may buy a 465, 470 too for next time when I'll be screaming it harder. I barely clutched it anywhere,,snappy power,3rd most of track. I think a 48-49 rear would help widen gear further. 2nd was too low even for 180* sand turns. 2.2 hours on meter now. I want to tune it around 40-1 with 93 octane and Pennzoil synthetic Marine oil. For years I've used pure race gas,,and Klotz super techniplate in my vintage machines..but want a cheaper easy bike to get gas and oil for and ride more often.
Nothing to do with jetting,,,but I was amazed at how the fork pressure jumped from 142 at beginning to 162lbs after 4 short sessions. Either I'll need to bleed it every ride,,,,or figure out how to hook my nitrogen bottle fitting to fork top fitting that's tucked under handle bar,,and fill it with nitrogen.
I really enjoyed riding it,,,it really is light,,and jumps well. Little stiff for my 150lbs,,but with a spring swap &some time on it I'll get it really plush.
mxstate
11/2/2016 6:27am
Riv187
So you did not mess with the slide , yet seems the stock setup was in the ballpark .
I'm not fast so I might be able to keep the stock main jet.
What kind of fuel/premix and ratio did you have for this first ride?
I'd like to use fuel from the pump but i really think it has way more ethanol than they advertise. I had YZ250 and 250SX and regardless of jetting, the plug reading was always bad until i switched to race fuel (outlaw) with octane close to pump but no ethanol. Jetting then became easier , more consistant.
At my weight , I'm pretty sure I'll need a stiffer shock spring .
victor16
11/3/2016 5:36pm
riv187 wrote:
Today was 86* , 75% humidity and slight breeze. elevation maybe 200ft. Track was deep powder sand- Bartow Fl. Stock jetting,,ran fine up to top end...
Today was 86* , 75% humidity and slight breeze. elevation maybe 200ft. Track was deep powder sand- Bartow Fl. Stock jetting,,ran fine up to top end. Pinged hard then,,so I backed off,, shifted and stayed in midrange.. I ran it easy. in midrange for a 2-3 laps,,played with forks,,then switched from 440 main to 460. Was better,,,but I may buy a 465, 470 too for next time when I'll be screaming it harder. I barely clutched it anywhere,,snappy power,3rd most of track. I think a 48-49 rear would help widen gear further. 2nd was too low even for 180* sand turns. 2.2 hours on meter now. I want to tune it around 40-1 with 93 octane and Pennzoil synthetic Marine oil. For years I've used pure race gas,,and Klotz super techniplate in my vintage machines..but want a cheaper easy bike to get gas and oil for and ride more often.
Nothing to do with jetting,,,but I was amazed at how the fork pressure jumped from 142 at beginning to 162lbs after 4 short sessions. Either I'll need to bleed it every ride,,,,or figure out how to hook my nitrogen bottle fitting to fork top fitting that's tucked under handle bar,,and fill it with nitrogen.
I really enjoyed riding it,,,it really is light,,and jumps well. Little stiff for my 150lbs,,but with a spring swap &some time on it I'll get it really plush.
Duddeeee... is like if I wrote that myself... lol. OK... I tested some more. Tested Sunday on a Sandy track at 75-82°, 40:1, 93 pump gas. MJ 460, pilot 42.5, needle 34-73, 3rd pos, AS only 3/4 out... yes... 3/4 out... the bike was still not perfect. Ithe waso a hair lean. I think you are right riv... in sand cond... a bigger MJ 470 might be even better. I just put a 45 pilot and went out 1.5 on the AS to compensate. I will test on the same Sandy track thus weekend and report back. Braaapp
riv187
11/4/2016 3:59pm
mxstate wrote:
Riv187 So you did not mess with the slide , yet seems the stock setup was in the ballpark . I'm not fast so I might...
Riv187
So you did not mess with the slide , yet seems the stock setup was in the ballpark .
I'm not fast so I might be able to keep the stock main jet.
What kind of fuel/premix and ratio did you have for this first ride?
I'd like to use fuel from the pump but i really think it has way more ethanol than they advertise. I had YZ250 and 250SX and regardless of jetting, the plug reading was always bad until i switched to race fuel (outlaw) with octane close to pump but no ethanol. Jetting then became easier , more consistant.
At my weight , I'm pretty sure I'll need a stiffer shock spring .
No I didn't need to get out the file,,yet. The bike started cleanly,,,never hick-upped coming out of sandy corners,,or sounded rich enough to catch my attention. It was obvious the top was lean bad,,so I skipped 450 and went straight to 460. Better to be rich than detonate a new motor. Follow ride was good..maybe a 470 if I had one as I wrote. I was content riding in midrange,,and clearing some obstacles I wouldn't dare do before on my '83 RM250, or 125s. I felt the forks stiffen up and backed out the compression to 19 clicks. In reality the pressure had risen 20psi. After the ride I found 162 I backed it to 142. Today cold it showed 122.Still surprised at the gain.
I plan to tighten the squish band to .040 and probably cut a air opening in box when I get more time on it and can better use the power. That may require jetting tweaking..
Truly a wonderful bike.
mxstate
11/4/2016 5:31pm
I'm getting the TC Sunday but it might be too late in the day to make it to the track. Spoke with the dealership and they just dropped the needle one position. He told me that's what their 3 current same bike owners ended up with and they are happy with that.
After (too) many hours reading about JD jetting, Lectron, airbox mods, leaking reeds, i believe it's time to stop overthinking this.
I'll go through the break-in period and adjust from what I see/feel.
I can't wait to hear that sweet sound of a 250...
mxstate
11/10/2016 6:33pm
Took the TC on her maiden trip.
I ran the premix that the dealer put and almost went through full tank today.
Very impressed with the bike!
Chassis was set at stock specs and I have no complains. I might need a stiffer spring for my extra tonnage but the bike felt balanced.
Ergos are awesome for me and for the first time won't have to change the bar bend.
Super light feel (well coming from a 15 FC450 that's no surprise...)
Jetting needs work, no doubt. It was not unrideable but far way from clean.
Down low super rich, then there's a bog until it start to pull cleaner and rather strong (keep in mind 50 y/o vet C on a good day)
I decided to give a shot at the JD jetting kit and installed it tonight.
The plug looked rather dark, not the nice brown/chocolate I want to see.

I'm confident I'll get this sorted out. Quite frankly if I could increase my speed/skills, i think stock would not be that far off.
I looked at the PV adjuster as I was wrapping up and noticed the adjuster was rather pushed down. More than 4 threads visible. I'll check in the manual if there's a base setting.
Overall after this first ride I'm very impressed.
The Magura hydro clutch feels even smoother than the Brembo on the 450.
What impressed me was the traction. I had a few YZ 250 (06 and 10) and a 13 KTM SX,
It seems to me the TC put the power to the ground way more efficiently. Can't tell for now if it's the chassis, new engine or a bit of everything but the bike has a bit of this increased traction that you find on 4 stroke.
Oh, the counterbalance shaft does work. While it never bothered me on the KTM, the TC has very minimum vibrations.

mxstate
11/26/2016 5:36pm
I found the root cause of my jetting issues,,
Bike was drooling oil like crazy from the silencer, smoking more than "normal" even on a lean jetting setup.
Plus it was just not running crisp and clean. Not my first rodeo with a 250 smoker and I never struggled that much to jet them.
I'm not a pro mechanic by all means but I really started to wonder about the reeds.
Been reading about some leaking and some breaking.
In fact the dealership I got mine from e-mailed me as out of the 3 he sold before mine, they just got one swallowing the reeds.
Met a guy today on a 17 SX , stock settings and his was just running fine.

After a frustrating ride today, came back home, cleaned the bike and get into surgery mode.
Intake flange was coated with oil, gasket soaked.. and the best part the reeds cage.
Like that all the way around
I ordered the ktmandhusky reeds as I don't want the OEM crap.
Hopefully like others they'll seal without sanding the cage. (I'm not pumped on a backyard fix on a brand new bike)
Boyesen or Vforce will be next but seems late December and I expect them to be on backorder very quickly.
It's a bummer but at least i know why and what to do because that bike is still awesome overall.
From what i found it just seems very loose manufacturing process. It's a hit or miss,
Some have already 40 hours and sealing is tight, others like me leak or worse break at 5, 10 hours, pretty random.

Deetsmx
11/27/2016 7:46pm
mxstate wrote:
I found the root cause of my jetting issues,, Bike was drooling oil like crazy from the silencer, smoking more than "normal" even on a lean...
I found the root cause of my jetting issues,,
Bike was drooling oil like crazy from the silencer, smoking more than "normal" even on a lean jetting setup.
Plus it was just not running crisp and clean. Not my first rodeo with a 250 smoker and I never struggled that much to jet them.
I'm not a pro mechanic by all means but I really started to wonder about the reeds.
Been reading about some leaking and some breaking.
In fact the dealership I got mine from e-mailed me as out of the 3 he sold before mine, they just got one swallowing the reeds.
Met a guy today on a 17 SX , stock settings and his was just running fine.

After a frustrating ride today, came back home, cleaned the bike and get into surgery mode.
Intake flange was coated with oil, gasket soaked.. and the best part the reeds cage.
Like that all the way around
I ordered the ktmandhusky reeds as I don't want the OEM crap.
Hopefully like others they'll seal without sanding the cage. (I'm not pumped on a backyard fix on a brand new bike)
Boyesen or Vforce will be next but seems late December and I expect them to be on backorder very quickly.
It's a bummer but at least i know why and what to do because that bike is still awesome overall.
From what i found it just seems very loose manufacturing process. It's a hit or miss,
Some have already 40 hours and sealing is tight, others like me leak or worse break at 5, 10 hours, pretty random.

Mine had the same problem. I put on a lectron carb and it seemed to exaggerate the issues even more. New reeds should be here Tuesday, then I will try the lectron again.
mxstate
11/28/2016 7:30am
I disassembled the reeds cage and the gaps on my pics are from the cage.
Reeds are definitely on the small side, not a lot of overlap on the cages sealing areas (which are "just" concave.)
New reeds are coming in today but if the gaps are still visible, I might consider sanding the cage.
I've seen some other who were good to go with the K&H reeds and no sanding but the gaps on mine seem pretty big
Geez...
mxstate
12/5/2016 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 4:47pm
Update :
Installed the K&H reeds and put stock jetting back. I wanted to have a baseline same as delivered again.
Night and day !!!
No more bog or lean/rich condition
It was still too rich (expected from stock settings anyway) but I knew it was finally cured.
Re-installed JD kit and it's been awesome since!!!.
Bike rips, maybe could use some fine tuning if I'm picky but after few years on FI 450 I need to realize that even a well jetted carb can't be delivering power like these modern thumpers.

I put 2 hours and absolutely love the way the engine runs.
This is how it was supposed to be !!!!

Plug reading is pretty good (tad on rich side which is what I always favor not being an A rider)
A good friend rode my bike with the crappy reeds and was also puzzled by how bad it was running.
He took the bike after the fix and I had to stop him... Same track/same weather conditions/same everything but these reeds..

Dealer got a new reeds cage from Husqy who seems not to care much: He inspected it before shipping to me (they didn't bother) and the gaps were as bad as on mine...back to them to see what they plan (let me make a prediction..)
Saw a post on ktm talk where one had his bike sitting at dealer for a month now, waiting on KTM to do something...
90 pages about jetting nightmares on UK forum. More pics also of leaky cages or even broken reeds..
And Jeff Slavens who was a bit sarcastic about the reeds issue (no big deal, anyway plastic molding will warp.etc..) just posted a video of him ready to test the Pre-prod V Force reeds cage...

Sad thing is that obviously KTM does not push it to address this and with all the buzz around their FI two strokes being tested now in some races, they are moving forward no matter what.
Which would be ok if they would not let behind people who splurged some large amount of cash on a bike running like crap.
I don't remember that amount of fuss on some technical issue for something as basic a jetting a 250 smoker
jbonemalone
12/7/2016 7:39pm
Don't feel bad. My 15 250xc broke a reed petal off and ate it at 5 hrs. Thankfully it passed right through. After tear down, I couldn't find any damage or reed material. No one in my state had any reeds so I went with boyesen rad valve.
Runs better and jetting from stock is perfect.

Post a reply to: 17 HVA TC250 jetting

The Latest