02 CR250R pipe question

omalley
I am in the process of fixing up an 02 CR250. I am getting ready to buy the pipe and plan to go with a PC pipe and either the 304 shorty or factory sound. Application is MX. Currently the engine will be stock although I may have PC port it and modify the head down the road. I plan to run C12 or an equivilant. Carb is a Keihin 38mm airstriker.

Back when I had my original 02 (before I jumped on the 4-stroke wagon) I had the pipe and full length factory sound. My question is this. Is there any advantage in going with an 03-04 pipe over the 02 specific one? I wasn't sure if those pipes were better or just changed to match updated porting. I know the 05-07 (I think) went to the different flange setup.

Also, is there anything to gain by going with the shorty other than more noise and likely more frequent re-packs? For reference I am a 40 yo just getting back into riding after 4 years off. I was a decent junior/backmarker intermediate when I stopped.

Thanks!
|
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
9/2/2017 1:26am
I think the general idea is that the shorty may help bottom end and the full length more overrev/top end. I have the full length on my cr250 but haven't tried it with a shorty.
9/2/2017 5:11am
I haven't read anywhere that can confidently say that there is significantly better power gains (or any gain for that matter) from running a shorter silencer. From a logic standpoint, given that there is no back pressure created by the silencer itself, the length shouldn't have much of an effect. I have a FMF shorty in a box somewhere but am running the stock full length silencer. It's still pretty loud too.
omalley
9/2/2017 5:26am
Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree, I went ahead and ordered the standard silencer. Just wasn't sure if this specific bike benefitted from the shorty more than the standard differences between the two. I do remember another guy having the shorty and it was really loud.
H4L
9/3/2017 10:42am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 10:56am
If you haven't purchased a pipe already I'd suggest looking into an HGS expansion pipe. They're suppose to be close in performance to a Doma. I'm running a Doma on an 03 CR2 & did some testing about 14 yrs back with different pipes. The PC pipe will enhance the mid-top at the sacrifice of some lowned vs. the oem pipe. The Doma enhanced the entire rpm range in comparison to the oem. With cyl & head mods it's more pronounced.
The 03-04 pipe is improved for better lowend response vs. the 02 pipe. They're also designed to work with the model yr cyl intended. That being said you can run an 03-04 pipe on the 02 cyl. as the 02-04 has a female outlet at the end of the pipe that goes on the exhaust flange. The 05-07 models will have a male end that goes into the cyl..

The Shop

omalley
9/4/2017 6:21am
Thanks for the info, and Ti, thank you for the offer. Already have a PC on the way, so if Jkop wants it he's welcome to it.
omalley
9/4/2017 6:23am
H4L, for next time I would be curious about the HGS. When I looked for HGS in the US all I seem to get are BUD pipes made by HGS to BUD's spec. Are they the same or does HGS have a US importer?
H4L
9/4/2017 7:23am
omalley wrote:
H4L, for next time I would be curious about the HGS. When I looked for HGS in the US all I seem to get are BUD...
H4L, for next time I would be curious about the HGS. When I looked for HGS in the US all I seem to get are BUD pipes made by HGS to BUD's spec. Are they the same or does HGS have a US importer?
omalley - As far as I know Bud racing is the US importer & think they're HGS specs with the Bud logo stamped on the pipe. I could be wrong, but you can contact them to confirm.
I picked up an HGS pipe for 06-07 CR2 models also owned & going to be trying it once riding season starts in Oct..
JkopMx
9/5/2017 11:16am
appreciate it , little bigger than expected .

Post a reply to: 02 CR250R pipe question

The Latest