yz250 stiff clutch pull

Edited Date/Time 3/18/2014 7:52am
So my yz250 clutch has always been pretty difficult to pull. I didn't realize how difficult it really was until I rode someone elses bike, and let some people ride mine. They all complained about how stiff mine was, and there clutches felt like butter compared to mine. Last week I disassembled the clutch and discovered bad grooves on the inner clutch hub, thinking this was my problem I ordered a new one. Put the new one in and my clutch pull is still very stiff. It did solve my bike lurching problem when releasing the clutch, but I really want a better overall clutch pull. Do I need new clutch springs, or are my clutch plates worn out? The original owner of the bike was a trail rider by the way. The clutch plates looked fine to me, but I'm no mechanic.
|
2/4/2014 2:23pm
He probably put stiffer clutch springs in it to prevent it from slipping when he was trail riding.
2/4/2014 2:55pm
Socket946 wrote:
How old is the cable? How often you lube it?
Sorry, I failed to mention that I just recently put a brand new clutch cable on the bike but I have never lubed it. What type of lube should I use and should I remove the clutch cable before I lube it?
2/4/2014 3:09pm
I bought some cable lube at Cycle Gear. I just disconnected one end of the cable and hosed it down. On the other hand, I have the Rekluse auto clutch, so I don't use it that much. Shocked

The Shop

2/4/2014 3:21pm
I bought some cable lube at Cycle Gear. I just disconnected one end of the cable and hosed it down. On the other hand, I have...
I bought some cable lube at Cycle Gear. I just disconnected one end of the cable and hosed it down. On the other hand, I have the Rekluse auto clutch, so I don't use it that much. Shocked
I guess I'll be buying some cable lube then. What brand of clutch springs do you guys think I should buy to make the clutch pull easier?
Cmiller493
2/4/2014 3:50pm
Chances are your clutch basket probably has decent grooves as well. You can either try filing the grooves down or get a billet clutch basket and you will be good to go.
2/5/2014 3:27am
Cmiller493 wrote:
Chances are your clutch basket probably has decent grooves as well. You can either try filing the grooves down or get a billet clutch basket and...
Chances are your clutch basket probably has decent grooves as well. You can either try filing the grooves down or get a billet clutch basket and you will be good to go.
The clutch basket really wasn't bad at all. It had very slight grooves, but nothing to serious that it would effect the clutch pull. I could be wrong though.
motofab36
2/5/2014 5:11am
the basket and hub wont affect clutch pull, dry, worn out cable and stiffer springs will. previous owner probably put in stiffer springs. oem springs are about 3 bucks each.
2/5/2014 6:55am
motofab36 wrote:
the basket and hub wont affect clutch pull, dry, worn out cable and stiffer springs will. previous owner probably put in stiffer springs. oem springs are...
the basket and hub wont affect clutch pull, dry, worn out cable and stiffer springs will. previous owner probably put in stiffer springs. oem springs are about 3 bucks each.
Looks like I'll be ordering some new clutch springs, and lubing my my clutch cable then
Skerby
2/5/2014 9:44am
Somewhere along the road my yz got some stiff ass clutch springs. I actually prefer them as they keep me from hammering my clutch everywhere, and the clutch holds up better.
2/5/2014 10:30am
Skerby wrote:
Somewhere along the road my yz got some stiff ass clutch springs. I actually prefer them as they keep me from hammering my clutch everywhere, and...
Somewhere along the road my yz got some stiff ass clutch springs. I actually prefer them as they keep me from hammering my clutch everywhere, and the clutch holds up better.
I like the fact that my clutch will last longer, but I hate the fact that I have to use 2 fingers on the clutch at all times. Plus I get arm pump very easily, so anything to help that would be great.
Cmiller493
2/5/2014 10:38am
You can use half and half. Half regular and half stiff springs.
motofab36
2/5/2014 11:17am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2014 11:18am
there are several different lever assemblies on the market that are adjustable to get the feel you want.
2/5/2014 12:25pm
Check cable routing, if the bend is just slightly too sharp it can make the pull much harder. Just something like going in front of a radiator bolt vs. behind it or vice versa can make a big difference.
2/5/2014 4:49pm
Have any of yall tried Tusks or EBC's clutch springs? There much cheaper than OEM, just wondering if they are any good.
2/5/2014 4:49pm
Check cable routing, if the bend is just slightly too sharp it can make the pull much harder. Just something like going in front of a...
Check cable routing, if the bend is just slightly too sharp it can make the pull much harder. Just something like going in front of a radiator bolt vs. behind it or vice versa can make a big difference.
I believe its routed properly, but I'll double check when I get a chance.
motofab36
2/5/2014 6:43pm
I don't know about tusk but the EBC springs are heavier than stock
Skerby
2/6/2014 11:13am
motofab36 wrote:
I don't know about tusk but the EBC springs are heavier than stock
Well in that case I guess I'll be ordering some OEM springs
I put the ebc s in my kx450, stiff as shit! lol they feel kinda weird too but its hard to complain at 7$ for 6 springs.
Luke_Himler
2/7/2014 7:50am
I have raced Yz 250 s-strokes in the A class for 3 years now.....I am hard on a clutch so I run 3 Stock yz 250 springs and 3 yz 450f quad springs.....It gives a great positive clutch release feel and helps with the clutch life! Hope it helps?
2/7/2014 7:12pm
I have raced Yz 250 s-strokes in the A class for 3 years now.....I am hard on a clutch so I run 3 Stock yz 250...
I have raced Yz 250 s-strokes in the A class for 3 years now.....I am hard on a clutch so I run 3 Stock yz 250 springs and 3 yz 450f quad springs.....It gives a great positive clutch release feel and helps with the clutch life! Hope it helps?
Thanks for the input! Do you think I could get away with running 4 stock OEM springs and leaving two of the stiffer springs on the clutch? Or do I need to evenly match the two different springs with a 3 of each combo?
Luke_Himler
2/8/2014 5:41am
I have raced Yz 250 s-strokes in the A class for 3 years now.....I am hard on a clutch so I run 3 Stock yz 250...
Thanks for the input! Do you think I could get away with running 4 stock OEM springs and leaving two of the stiffer springs on the...
Thanks for the input! Do you think I could get away with running 4 stock OEM springs and leaving two of the stiffer springs on the clutch? Or do I need to evenly match the two different springs with a 3 of each combo?
I wouldn't, I would keep it even!
2/8/2014 7:09am
I wouldn't, I would keep it even!
That's what I was thinking, but thanks for the help! I'll definitely try the 3 ordering 3 OEM springs and see what happens
2/8/2014 7:41am
Have any of yall tried Tusks or EBC's clutch springs? There much cheaper than OEM, just wondering if they are any good.
i ran tusks springs on my 98 cr125. it was noticeably a stiffer pull, but at the same time felt smoother. if that makes since. but i also put a tusk clutch pack in at the same time.
2/16/2014 9:13pm
RM250racer wrote:
i ran tusks springs on my 98 cr125. it was noticeably a stiffer pull, but at the same time felt smoother. if that makes since. but...
i ran tusks springs on my 98 cr125. it was noticeably a stiffer pull, but at the same time felt smoother. if that makes since. but i also put a tusk clutch pack in at the same time.
I had tusks in my 98 rm when I put new springs in my bike I decided to use the EBC springs. They feel slightly stiffer but smoother. But the tusks springs wore faster. Still I would recommend the tusks. But my preference would be EBC
3/3/2014 5:30pm
So I bought 3 new OEM springs to put in my clutch. When I compared them to the ones already in there, I discovered they were the OEM as well. So does anybody have any idea as to why my clutch is still so difficult to pull? Could the clutch plates be worn out and causing this?
MotoX85
3/5/2014 12:13pm
Replace with all stock springs, lube the cable (brake cleaner first let dry, then silicone lubricant) If this still does not help.

Take off your ignition cover and look at the arm that is going into the cases that your clutch cable is connected to. Is the seal all dirty? Even if it isn't there is a small (dime size) bearing in there that the actuator arm rides in. These can go bad as I just had to replace one on my sons 125 and when I was done, could notice a huge difference in clutch pull.

You will need a blind bearing puller ($75 at harbor freight, or borrow one) and then you will need some kind of press to install it. You can try to gently hammer it in by first freezing the bearing but it is so small that it is easily damaged.

I think this will solve your problem.
3/18/2014 7:52am
MotoX85 wrote:
Replace with all stock springs, lube the cable (brake cleaner first let dry, then silicone lubricant) If this still does not help. Take off your ignition...
Replace with all stock springs, lube the cable (brake cleaner first let dry, then silicone lubricant) If this still does not help.

Take off your ignition cover and look at the arm that is going into the cases that your clutch cable is connected to. Is the seal all dirty? Even if it isn't there is a small (dime size) bearing in there that the actuator arm rides in. These can go bad as I just had to replace one on my sons 125 and when I was done, could notice a huge difference in clutch pull.

You will need a blind bearing puller ($75 at harbor freight, or borrow one) and then you will need some kind of press to install it. You can try to gently hammer it in by first freezing the bearing but it is so small that it is easily damaged.

I think this will solve your problem.
Sorry I took so long to reply, I have been rebuilding my top end, forks, and shock and I just now took a look at the actuator arm. I honestly cant see the seal because it is so dirty, so I'm assuming I should go ahead and replace the bearings in there. I'm guessing I will have to remove the flywheel weight to remove the arm and bearings? And will I have to have the special tool to remove the bearing? Because $75 is a little pricey for me right now

Post a reply to: yz250 stiff clutch pull

The Latest