who has tried the Think Technology Seat Foam?

Edited Date/Time 11/21/2014 6:14pm
I heard the Think Technology seat foam, while being very light, is much firmer than the stock (CRF) seat foam. I get the impression that it may feel a little hard and not as comfy as the stock foam?

Any first hand experience with the comfort of the Think seat foam?

mike
|
Crush
6/23/2014 6:28pm
Not that surprising, it's certainly not cheap!
6/23/2014 6:52pm
I guess I will be the first to report back.. just ordered the seat foam and cross bar pad. Cheaper than trying to save a pound of weight with titanium. I plan to get my CRF450 down to the same weight as my CR250 2-stroke. Almost there.

mike
mxb2
6/23/2014 8:02pm
Crush wrote:
Not that surprising, it's certainly not cheap!
Yea for sure, but i think mxa did a test on the seat foam, gave good reviews for what its worth., trick stuff and pricey.

The Shop

Mtek
6/23/2014 9:51pm
I've been using for 7-8 months, it's not much more firm than the stock foam. When sitting, it doesn't sink down as much under my weight, almost feels like a tall foam even though it's not.
6/23/2014 10:23pm
Mtek wrote:
I've been using for 7-8 months, it's not much more firm than the stock foam. When sitting, it doesn't sink down as much under my weight...
I've been using for 7-8 months, it's not much more firm than the stock foam. When sitting, it doesn't sink down as much under my weight, almost feels like a tall foam even though it's not.
Thanks!.. so it is not uncomfortably hard or anything like that? Are you satisfied with it and would recommend?
Mtek
6/23/2014 10:33pm
Not hard at all, more firm than stock but that's a good thing imo. I would do it again, but the company is horrible with delivery times. I don't recommend them for that reason. I have the bar pad too, it's light, but hard as a rock and I'm not sure it would last one decent hit. Total weight savings with both was slightly over 1.5 lbs...good stuff but again the company itself has had delivery issues with many people.
6/23/2014 10:42pm
Mtek wrote:
Not hard at all, more firm than stock but that's a good thing imo. I would do it again, but the company is horrible with delivery...
Not hard at all, more firm than stock but that's a good thing imo. I would do it again, but the company is horrible with delivery times. I don't recommend them for that reason. I have the bar pad too, it's light, but hard as a rock and I'm not sure it would last one decent hit. Total weight savings with both was slightly over 1.5 lbs...good stuff but again the company itself has had delivery issues with many people.
Did you get their new carbon fiber seat base also? Is your bike the CRF in your Avatar? How long did it take to get your purchase?

If the bar pad is as hard as a rock, I wonder what good it is? I would think it would have the same consistency as the seat foam. Thanks for your help.. not an abundance of info out there and I don't always trust what the magazines say.
tek14
6/24/2014 2:40am
Did you take weight from seat foams?
Bought replacement foam for my KTM it was 180g heavier than stock (wich goes soft in 5hours)
Stock foam was under 500g so can see more than 300g save with Think foam?
6/24/2014 11:28am
You are right.. same thing at a cheaper price! It seems they don't cover many model years though.
nytsmaC
6/24/2014 12:10pm
It's not as light, made using a different process, injection molded rather than hand carved. They claim it to be more durable but I haven't heard of any durability issues with the Think ones. Both the Think seat foam (RMZ450) and bar pad combined weigh 160 grams, while the GUTS Phantom seat foam (YZ250) alone weighs 294 grams. Almost twice as heavy.

Stock RMZ seat foam is 725 grams, so both are significantly lighter, but the Think is the lightest by a pretty good margin.
Mtek
6/24/2014 1:46pm
Mtek wrote:
Not hard at all, more firm than stock but that's a good thing imo. I would do it again, but the company is horrible with delivery...
Did you get their new carbon fiber seat base also? Is your bike the CRF in your Avatar? How long did it take to get your...
Did you get their new carbon fiber seat base also? Is your bike the CRF in your Avatar? How long did it take to get your purchase?

If the bar pad is as hard as a rock, I wonder what good it is? I would think it would have the same consistency as the seat foam. Thanks for your help.. not an abundance of info out there and I don't always trust what the magazines say.
I have an RMZ. The pad foam is completely diff then the seat foam. Took me about 4 weeks to receive, but this was before seriously long delays others have experienced.
Crush
6/25/2014 4:43am
There would be a lot of weight in the base itself too eh?

11/10/2014 9:05am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 1:31am
I had a chance to try the Think seat foam a few times after installing it. I was surprised at the weight savings and how water logged my stock foam was from washing just after 30 hours on the bike. They should make the seat covers so the water can't get through the stitching. I think the Think foam is closes cell technology and doesn't soak up water like the stock foam.

When I first weighted the stock foam and compared to the Think foam, the Think foam was 1.8 pounds lighter. After I let the stock foam dry for 2 days, the Think foam was still 1.2 lbs lighter. I had well over 1/2 pound of water in my damp stock foam just from washing the bike!

While I love the weight savings so high up on the bike, I am not sure if I will stick with it. The seat foam was about 1/4-3/8 too short, but had a nicely shaped seat pocket. It feels ok when pushing on the foam, but when riding, It almost felt like I was sitting on a board. It is notably stiffer, and while it is not physically taller, it feels like a tall seat foam as mentioned above because you do not sink into the foam at all. It made my bars feel a lot lower and my 5' 10" frame had trouble touching the ground and I almost fell over on a few spots where the ground was not quite level. I had no such problems at all before. The track was rough with acceleration stutter bumps in ruts which was harsher on the but than normal. I am thinking of going back to the normal cushy foam to be kinder to my butt, although I really hate to lose the weight savings. I think the ergonomic/ comfort issue is higher priority than the weight savings.

I also got the think bar pad foam but the weight savings was only .09 lbs.
mxb2
11/10/2014 11:46am
I had a chance to try the Think seat foam a few times after installing it. I was surprised at the weight savings and how water...
I had a chance to try the Think seat foam a few times after installing it. I was surprised at the weight savings and how water logged my stock foam was from washing just after 30 hours on the bike. They should make the seat covers so the water can't get through the stitching. I think the Think foam is closes cell technology and doesn't soak up water like the stock foam.

When I first weighted the stock foam and compared to the Think foam, the Think foam was 1.8 pounds lighter. After I let the stock foam dry for 2 days, the Think foam was still 1.2 lbs lighter. I had well over 1/2 pound of water in my damp stock foam just from washing the bike!

While I love the weight savings so high up on the bike, I am not sure if I will stick with it. The seat foam was about 1/4-3/8 too short, but had a nicely shaped seat pocket. It feels ok when pushing on the foam, but when riding, It almost felt like I was sitting on a board. It is notably stiffer, and while it is not physically taller, it feels like a tall seat foam as mentioned above because you do not sink into the foam at all. It made my bars feel a lot lower and my 5' 10" frame had trouble touching the ground and I almost fell over on a few spots where the ground was not quite level. I had no such problems at all before. The track was rough with acceleration stutter bumps in ruts which was harsher on the but than normal. I am thinking of going back to the normal cushy foam to be kinder to my butt, although I really hate to lose the weight savings. I think the ergonomic/ comfort issue is higher priority than the weight savings.

I also got the think bar pad foam but the weight savings was only .09 lbs.
Thanks for the review, good info.
JBernard_401
11/10/2014 12:10pm
i would kill to know where the guy at Think is getting his foam. I know its from the aerospace industry but theres not a lot of info out there on the stuff. if anyone knows i'll get them a 6 pack! ha!
nytsmaC
11/10/2014 4:05pm
Have you thought about shaving the Think foam to lower it a bit for yourself?
11/10/2014 5:54pm
nytsmaC wrote:
It wouldnt do anything for the firmness and might make it worse.
nytsmaC
11/11/2014 9:23am
nytsmaC wrote:
It wouldnt do anything for the firmness and might make it worse.
I know, it just sounded like maybe you would live with the firmness if it weren't for the too tall issue. But yeah if you hate the thing then there's no getting around it.

GUTS makes a lightweight seat foam but it's not nearly as light as the Think one, and I'm not sure how it is for firmness.
11/11/2014 9:55am
I wouldnt say I hate it, but could live with the tallness more easily than the firmness. I love the weight savings, but it is a compromise on comfort. I am a vet rider and us older guys like to be comfy.

Good thought on the GUTS foam, but havent heard much about how light it is or how the firmness compares to stock.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/11/2014 10:49am
Be careful with that logic about seat foam stiffness being an important factor. I tried to tell people on here that it played into a rider's feel of the bike and perception of suspension and frame harshness and damn near got ran off the board. Laughing
11/11/2014 11:26am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 11:26am
FGR01 wrote:
Be careful with that logic about seat foam stiffness being an important factor. I tried to tell people on here that it played into a rider's...
Be careful with that logic about seat foam stiffness being an important factor. I tried to tell people on here that it played into a rider's feel of the bike and perception of suspension and frame harshness and damn near got ran off the board. Laughing
I dont know about frame harshness and suspension feel, I was thinking about "monkey butt"! Smile
nytsmaC
11/11/2014 11:44am
In the new MXA they actually comment how the Husky plastic subframe makes the bike feel like it rides better than the KTM.. So I can imagine different seat foam densities having a big effect on rider perception of the bike's chassis feel.
11/11/2014 11:57am
nytsmaC wrote:
It's not as light, made using a different process, injection molded rather than hand carved. They claim it to be more durable but I haven't heard...
It's not as light, made using a different process, injection molded rather than hand carved. They claim it to be more durable but I haven't heard of any durability issues with the Think ones. Both the Think seat foam (RMZ450) and bar pad combined weigh 160 grams, while the GUTS Phantom seat foam (YZ250) alone weighs 294 grams. Almost twice as heavy.

Stock RMZ seat foam is 725 grams, so both are significantly lighter, but the Think is the lightest by a pretty good margin.
NYTSMAC,

What is the firmness of the GUTS Phantom Zero Gravity foam compared to the THINK foam? Is it also as firm or is it closer to stock?

mike
nytsmaC
11/11/2014 12:14pm
nytsmaC wrote:
It's not as light, made using a different process, injection molded rather than hand carved. They claim it to be more durable but I haven't heard...

NYTSMAC, What is the firmness of the GUTS Phantom Zero Gravity foam compared to the THINK foam? Is it also as firm or is it closer...
NYTSMAC,

What is the firmness of the GUTS Phantom Zero Gravity foam compared to the THINK foam? Is it also as firm or is it closer to stock?

mike
I couldn't tell you, I haven't owned either of them. I was just going off of info that I had collected on the two foams from internet research.
11/11/2014 3:10pm
Cant be any harder than an SDG seat. Those things are really stiff.. but I liked it, made my kx feel like a new bike again, untill I got used to it..
Digger29
11/11/2014 4:10pm
I have the Think foam on my 15 300SX and after I built the seat it really feels like it weighs half as much as my stock seat. It's also very firm which makes it feel taller which I really like too.
mxb2
11/11/2014 4:18pm
Digger29 wrote:
I have the Think foam on my 15 300SX and after I built the seat it really feels like it weighs half as much as my...
I have the Think foam on my 15 300SX and after I built the seat it really feels like it weighs half as much as my stock seat. It's also very firm which makes it feel taller which I really like too.
hows the customer service, i have heard good and bad.
Mtek
11/11/2014 5:20pm
Cust service was lacking when I purchased, guy who owns think did always pick up the phone and was really enthusiastic and nice to talk to, but def over promised on del times.

The foam does break in, gets softer. It still is firmer than stock, but I'm fine with it. The foam wears really really well, I don't see myself replacing it next season either. It's good stuff.

Here is an old pic I out up on TT when I received, the Think foam and bar pad together weigh less than a Protaper bar pad. My ride has a lot of weight saving mods, this one was the best for weigh to cost by a nice margin.

Post a reply to: who has tried the Think Technology Seat Foam?

The Latest