time sert vs helicoil for stripped oil drain plugg

Markopolo400
5/18/2015 8:27am
Time sert is a full steel sleeve that threads into the case. Heli coil is basically just new threads (Think like a spring).

I time sert'ed the drain plug in my KX250, have had no issues since. I got a kit on amazon.
Sixeightone
5/18/2015 9:15am
Time serts are junk!!!! Heli coil all the way! You can cut your heli coil to length, and you will never see it there. Time sert you have to counter sink it to get it to stop. On a drain plug surface you're much better off with a Heli coil so you don't disturb the facing of the cases.. To each their own..

Johnboy

The Shop

racinstation
Fantasy
2024th
5/19/2015 5:54pm
I have probably done close to 100 drain plug repairs and I prefer the thread-sert every time. The problem with the heli coil is the owner almost always over torques later on down the road and pulls the threads out again. The heli coil when done correctly is fine, but the thread-sert is much stronger and is a permanent fix. With either one, TAKE YOUR TIME and GO SLOW so you don't screw it up.
BAMX
5/20/2015 2:44pm
Time serts are junk!!!! Heli coil all the way! You can cut your heli coil to length, and you will never see it there. Time sert...
Time serts are junk!!!! Heli coil all the way! You can cut your heli coil to length, and you will never see it there. Time sert you have to counter sink it to get it to stop. On a drain plug surface you're much better off with a Heli coil so you don't disturb the facing of the cases.. To each their own..

Johnboy
I would say it is completely the opposite. The timeserts only downside is that they are expensive and have one more step to install. When finished, you have a nice set of solid steel threads. The helicoils are easier to install but they are junk and usually fail. They are especially bad for things that need Loctite or bolts that may corrode a bit.

Also, you can get a timesert in just about any length that you would like. Keensert, ez-loks etc. are all good but you should buy the installation tool or sinking in the tabs can go wrong.

If you search for "kent moore thread" on Ebay you can find good deals. Kent Moore made insert kits for car dealerships using timeserts. These kits tend to end up on Ebay a lot. I bought my huge kit for $100. It has M6, M8, and M10 plus 3 other larger metric sizes.
mxtech1
5/21/2015 7:11am
I've done many helicoils and have never had any problems or one come back broken. Over-tightening will damage any thread, it doesn't matter if it's the original threads or repaired threads. This is why it's so important to follow your owner's manual torque specs.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/21/2015 9:15am
The beauty of the helicoil is that when you do over tighten it, it wants to spread in diameter for a better bite. You'll still use the torque based on an alu thread so you'll most likley never be in this dilema again with thread failure.
Having said that, someone mentioned locktite situations being bad, this I agree with.
mxtech1
5/21/2015 10:02am
How many of you split cases to helicoil a drain plug?
I always do. If the customer can't understand why, I refuse to put it in.

It only takes 1 piece of metal shaving to destroy a bottom end.

Post a reply to: time sert vs helicoil for stripped oil drain plugg

The Latest