steer tree/tube damage RM250 2006

sven4130
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2014 7:42pm
long story short,

my mechanic tried to grind the lower bearing of the bottom off my steerer tube and cut ot only the bearing but also into the ally tube. he didnt go through it (its hollow inside) however it went in about 3/4 milmeters and about half inch long.

its right at the botoom of the crown, the new bearing goes over it and it sits correctly in the frame but i am freaking out its now weak. I dont really want this to snap.

so question, would you ride with it,

second question,

do rmz triple clamps fit an rm250? I have a good deal on rmz450 2007 triple clamps, the entire thing, would the bearing fit? would it bolt right on?

any help would be appriciated.
|
partialperson
5/12/2014 6:12am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 6:15am
I don't think it will ever be an issue, the load of the bearing is spread around and supported by the race, the race held in place by the hollowed out frame tube. I'd bet there are hundreds out there that have been cut unknowingly and the owner is not aware. On one of my steel famed bikes I notched the tube were the race fits so I could easily remove the race. The tube the bearing rides on should also have the load spread by the actual bearing surface not the tube.
sven4130
5/12/2014 6:16am
I don't think it will ever be an issue, the load of the bearing is spread around and supported by the race, the race held in...
I don't think it will ever be an issue, the load of the bearing is spread around and supported by the race, the race held in place by the hollowed out frame tube. I'd bet there are hundreds out there that have been cut unknowingly and the owner is not aware. On one of my steel famed bikes I notched the tube were the race fits so I could easily remove the race. The tube the bearing rides on should also have the load spread by the actual bearing surface not the tube.
its what i kind of thought as it wasent cut thorugh the tube its just the outside, it is pretty deep, i jmp big and its really freaking my out. even more crappy is i cannot locate a replacement anywhere, only the rmz clamps, thats why i thoguht if the rmz fit, i would replace it to be on the safe sie.
sven4130
5/12/2014 6:18am
I don't think it will ever be an issue, the load of the bearing is spread around and supported by the race, the race held in...
out of interest how deep did you cut, how much did you grind out? as i side mine is pretty deep but not though. i just dont fancy slamming face first into the ground if it snaps....
pete24
5/12/2014 6:24am
you can press in a new pin and youll b good but if your "mechanic " did that you need a new mechanic, try to find one with a press

The Shop

sven4130
5/12/2014 6:32am
pete24 wrote:
you can press in a new pin and youll b good but if your "mechanic " did that you need a new mechanic, try to find...
you can press in a new pin and youll b good but if your "mechanic " did that you need a new mechanic, try to find one with a press
by pin, do you mean a new steering column? as I have looked everywhere, even Suzuki UK and nowwhere has them. thats why i was interested with the RMZ triple clamps.
pete24
5/12/2014 7:03am
yes buy a bottom clamp on ebay and press the pin out of iT
JBernard_401
5/13/2014 7:42pm
no reason to save 20$ and risk a failure. buy a new stem and headset bearing and do it right.
you also need to question why the 'mechanic' tried to cut it off rather than press it out. that's ridiculous.

Post a reply to: steer tree/tube damage RM250 2006

The Latest