sand blast? glass bead blast? or soda blast

11/27/2015 10:06am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2015 2:27pm
I want to strip the coating off my oem magnesium clutch cover for thay factory look. I understand there will be extra maintainance required to keep it looking good . That doesn't bother me. I found a picture online where some one said they blasted the cover. Didn't go into specifics. I figure sand blasting would be to hard on the thin magnesium cover. Which leads me to my question. Would you guys soda blast or bead blast your clutch cover to achieve this look?

Thanks for you help

|
Charper732
11/27/2015 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2015 12:38pm
well there are different grits of media and how far you hold your gun away from the cover will also have a large effect. I personally just sand blast everything with a high grit. Some issues can arise with bead blasting aluminum as the glass will push into aluminum and you'll end up with contamination issues...dealing with powder coating anyway.

Soda blast is just for cleaning. It would take FOREVER to strip anything with soda blash.

If I were you I would sand blast with a high grit with the gun a good distance from the cover and once you are done stripping it just go back with soda blast and it'll give it a good luster.

...or you could go about it the easy way and use a chem stripper and then hit it with soda blast.
11/27/2015 1:57pm
Charper732 wrote:
well there are different grits of media and how far you hold your gun away from the cover will also have a large effect. I personally...
well there are different grits of media and how far you hold your gun away from the cover will also have a large effect. I personally just sand blast everything with a high grit. Some issues can arise with bead blasting aluminum as the glass will push into aluminum and you'll end up with contamination issues...dealing with powder coating anyway.

Soda blast is just for cleaning. It would take FOREVER to strip anything with soda blash.

If I were you I would sand blast with a high grit with the gun a good distance from the cover and once you are done stripping it just go back with soda blast and it'll give it a good luster.

...or you could go about it the easy way and use a chem stripper and then hit it with soda blast.
What chemical treatment would you recommend using? The cover is magnesium not aluminum. But I'll talk to a few local sand blasters too and see what they think. Thanks for the input
Charper732
11/27/2015 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2015 4:06pm
i used stuff from home depot. Klean strip. It's was meant to remove lacquer from wood, I used the gel type. There are different "levels" and this was the highest level. It is some nasty shit. It will literally burn the hell out of your skin if you get it on you...and water doesn't make it stop.

Powder coat is a serious PITA to chem strip and this stuff makes PC its bitch. So it's safe to say it will strip pretty much anything.
Slosh 112
11/27/2015 4:44pm
You could also use a half decent aircraft grade paint stripper. I got two cans of it from a local car parts shop and it will eat PC like its a water based.

I use fine glass and high pressure, it works good, I went to the local blasting supplier and told them I was blasting aluminium, he gave me the finest glass he had and it comes up brand new, Ive had everything anodised since and I haven't had any contamination issues yet.

A friend of mine has a pretty big cabinet, he uses glass beads and its finish is not as nice as glass. Also tried soda blasting and unless you are prepared to invest a lot of time in building a good one and a lot of time basting I wouldn't even bother with it.

The Shop

11/30/2015 12:03pm
So I glass bead blasted my clutch cover today. Didn't come out quite like the above picture. Was looking for more of that matte look. Came out bright silver. Any suggestions to get it to look like jessemans clutch cover?

Jmcd1988
11/30/2015 7:43pm
I read somewhere that you can soak it in drain-o or liquid plumber to get the factory look. It might have been on here or thumper talk.
Junior467
11/30/2015 8:02pm
if you want that color use toilet bowl cleaner or aluminum brite. as long as its magnesium it'll go darker grey. don't leave it on too long or it'll turn into a scoop of ice cream. about 5 min for the toilet bowl cleaner and 30 seconds for the aluminum brite.
12/1/2015 2:27pm
Junior467 wrote:
if you want that color use toilet bowl cleaner or aluminum brite. as long as its magnesium it'll go darker grey. don't leave it on too...
if you want that color use toilet bowl cleaner or aluminum brite. as long as its magnesium it'll go darker grey. don't leave it on too long or it'll turn into a scoop of ice cream. about 5 min for the toilet bowl cleaner and 30 seconds for the aluminum brite.
I tried toilet bowl cleaner when it had powder coat on it. Didn't do dick. Which I'm guessing it had to be done with bare magnesium. So I'm going to try this again and see what happens. On the bare magnesium finish though

Post a reply to: sand blast? glass bead blast? or soda blast

The Latest