rm250 rebuild help!

JM485
4/20/2014 5:18pm
I have an 06 as well and ran into a similar problem. I got lucky and mine didn't seize though, but it did chip the top of the piston from catching on the power valve. It turns out my cylinder was just too worn, and it finally let the rings hook onto the power valve and cause issues. Since the top of your piston chipped, I would assume your head probably has a bit of pitting in it as well. I sent mine off to Powerseal and was very happy with the work they did. I would send them your cylinder and have them match it directly to a new piston, and also send them your head if it has any pitting in it. It took about three weeks for me to get my cylinder back, but that was mostly because of shipping and they were very helpful as well as did very high quality work. Whatever you choose, good luck on the rebuild!

Unforunately, I blew a head gasket on mine the other day and ended up scarring up my freshly replated cylinder pretty badly, so I might me sending mine in along with yours. Another option is getting it bored out to a 300. I'm looking into sending mine to Eric Gorr for a bore and porting to turn it into a 295, but I'm not totally sure what direction I'm going to go next. That could be another option for you as well.
4/22/2014 1:52pm
JM485 wrote:
I have an 06 as well and ran into a similar problem. I got lucky and mine didn't seize though, but it did chip the top...
I have an 06 as well and ran into a similar problem. I got lucky and mine didn't seize though, but it did chip the top of the piston from catching on the power valve. It turns out my cylinder was just too worn, and it finally let the rings hook onto the power valve and cause issues. Since the top of your piston chipped, I would assume your head probably has a bit of pitting in it as well. I sent mine off to Powerseal and was very happy with the work they did. I would send them your cylinder and have them match it directly to a new piston, and also send them your head if it has any pitting in it. It took about three weeks for me to get my cylinder back, but that was mostly because of shipping and they were very helpful as well as did very high quality work. Whatever you choose, good luck on the rebuild!

Unforunately, I blew a head gasket on mine the other day and ended up scarring up my freshly replated cylinder pretty badly, so I might me sending mine in along with yours. Another option is getting it bored out to a 300. I'm looking into sending mine to Eric Gorr for a bore and porting to turn it into a 295, but I'm not totally sure what direction I'm going to go next. That could be another option for you as well.
i need cylinder work on a 04 yz. i was looking into powerseal. what was the turn around on yours?
JM485
4/22/2014 4:39pm
RM250racer wrote:
i need cylinder work on a 04 yz. i was looking into powerseal. what was the turn around on yours?
From the time I ship it until it arrived back at my door, it was around 3 weeks. That seems long, but at least two weeks was due to shipping because it was during the holidays and we all know how big of a mess that can be. I think it was at their shop for about 5 days, and I was really happy with what I got back.

Post a reply to: rm250 rebuild help!

The Latest