rebuilt KTM trans FAIL

Edited Date/Time 10/13/2015 9:08pm
During an off time (shoulder injury) I sent my transmission out for polishing.

Got it back, shoulder is healed up and I put everything back together, finishing last night. Have not cranked the bike as there is no oil in there yet.

the kickstarter kicks through just fine, the rear wheel spins just fine (like in neutral). However, The shifter never actually shifts the bike into gear. One time I was able to get a solid bottom out, but only once, and it will "shift" up forever and ever. If I hold upward pressure on the shifter and spin the rear wheel, it does turn the engine over. BUt as soon as I let go of the shifter, it is back in neutral.

Anyone know what I may have done wrong? I don't want to add oil and crank the bike for fear of really messing something up. BUt I also hate to split the cases again unless I have to...

Thanks
|
mnomis484
10/11/2015 10:22am
Check if the spring loaded arm that is part of the shifting mechanism behind the clutch cover is installed correctly. Installing the spring wrong might cause the same symptoms as you are describing.
Slosh 112
10/12/2015 4:55am
Sounds like its in the selector mechanism. you're going to have to take the inner clutch cover off at least and have a gander at whats going on in there.
NHtoWA421
10/13/2015 9:08pm
Was everything lined up on the drum correctly? A trick i use is making sure the trans is in neutral and shifts up and down before i press the cases together. It sounds elementary, and can be time consuming if stuff blows apart on you, But it is worth it.

Post a reply to: rebuilt KTM trans FAIL

The Latest