how to get controls 'feeling new'

KTMShane699
12/15/2014 3:53am
For your brakes, try changing your pads. If you got any chemicals on them it will make them not as good. I had the same issue with my bike. New pads and back to a great feel.

As for the clutch, it may somy be worn. You'd have to take it out and have a look. You can use a spring off of a 450 to improve the feel if you really want to. It's a direct bolt on. I want to say it will cost around $45, but I may be wrong.

185 hours is some time on a bike. It's not going to feel as tight as new without some serious maintenance. And even then it may or may not feel the same. Hope that helps your clutch/brake feel!

Shane

EL Sammo
12/15/2014 4:54am
You can try cable tying the brake and clutch levers to the bars and leave over night to get a firmer feel back. It will hold the relief port open and let any tiny air bubbles come out that cant be removed with manual bleeding.
hoova
12/15/2014 11:53am
Thank for the feedback guys but I've tried both and they haven't worked
BobPA
12/15/2014 4:09pm
Replace the lines, they get stretched and weak. They flex and cause the spongy feeling. I did the same thing you did, the only thing that fixes it is a new line.

The Shop

jmpatt79
12/15/2014 7:14pm
get a brand new bike if you want a brand new bike feel!
hoova
12/15/2014 11:05pm
BobPA wrote:
Replace the lines, they get stretched and weak. They flex and cause the spongy feeling. I did the same thing you did, the only thing that...
Replace the lines, they get stretched and weak. They flex and cause the spongy feeling. I did the same thing you did, the only thing that fixes it is a new line.
Thanks for the feedback but I was under the impression this wouldn't be the case with braided lines.
hoova
12/15/2014 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2014 11:21pm
jmpatt79 wrote:
get a brand new bike if you want a brand new bike feel!
been contemplating this for months but it's almost the same bike as the new one. I can spend $6000 on mine ($10,500 new in Australia) and have a much better bike than the new one so although this seems to be good advice Id rather fix and mod wat I've got
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
12/16/2014 1:13am
BobPA wrote:
Replace the lines, they get stretched and weak. They flex and cause the spongy feeling. I did the same thing you did, the only thing that...
hoova wrote:
Thanks for the feedback but I was under the impression this wouldn't be the case with braided lines.
What brake fluid are you using?

I would at least entertain the idea of replacing the lines.
KTMShane699
12/16/2014 4:52am
hoova wrote:
The KTM lines are braided steel and shouldn't need replacing. Rubber hoses are allowed to flex causing the weak feel. The braided steel lines don't suffer from the same problem. Not that's impossible, but far less likely. Did you put brand new pads in? And clean your rotor to make sure that there isn't any chemicals left on it that would quickly ruin a set of new pads?

I had a similar problem to what you're having after I got some oil on my pads. New pads and back to a super solid, toss you over the bars kind of feel.

Shane
12/16/2014 6:26am
I had to replace the whole lever on my KTM 200 because it got a grain of sand in the brake fluid and the fluid was getting pushed right by the side of the piston, may not be your case but its just another thing to check out.
BobPA
12/16/2014 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2014 1:47pm
hoova wrote:
The KTM lines are braided steel and shouldn't need replacing. Rubber hoses are allowed to flex causing the weak feel. The braided steel lines don't suffer...
The KTM lines are braided steel and shouldn't need replacing. Rubber hoses are allowed to flex causing the weak feel. The braided steel lines don't suffer from the same problem. Not that's impossible, but far less likely. Did you put brand new pads in? And clean your rotor to make sure that there isn't any chemicals left on it that would quickly ruin a set of new pads?

I had a similar problem to what you're having after I got some oil on my pads. New pads and back to a super solid, toss you over the bars kind of feel.

Shane
My bike is an '11 350 KTM....I can almost guarantee you a new line will fix your problem.

Oil on your pads will in no way make your brakes feel spongy, think about it for 3 seconds
12/16/2014 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2014 3:44pm
Your 13 clutch is a DDS style, you're saying it needs a lot more pull to engage/disengage. Tells me your plates are out of spec. When did you replace the entire clutch in the 185 hours you put on it? Friend of mine had to replace his 14 sx 250 clutch from abuse at 44 hrs he suffered from the same lever feel you're describing. Bleeding the actuator makes no difference if the stack is out of spec!
hoova
12/16/2014 8:40pm
Your 13 clutch is a DDS style, you're saying it needs a lot more pull to engage/disengage. Tells me your plates are out of spec. When...
Your 13 clutch is a DDS style, you're saying it needs a lot more pull to engage/disengage. Tells me your plates are out of spec. When did you replace the entire clutch in the 185 hours you put on it? Friend of mine had to replace his 14 sx 250 clutch from abuse at 44 hrs he suffered from the same lever feel you're describing. Bleeding the actuator makes no difference if the stack is out of spec!
New plates and heavier washer in 15hrs ago, didn't feel like it made a difference at the lever
hoova
12/16/2014 8:41pm
BobPA wrote:
My bike is an '11 350 KTM....I can almost guarantee you a new line will fix your problem. Oil on your pads will in no way...
My bike is an '11 350 KTM....I can almost guarantee you a new line will fix your problem.

Oil on your pads will in no way make your brakes feel spongy, think about it for 3 seconds
I'll give it a go thanks mate

Post a reply to: how to get controls 'feeling new'

The Latest