eBay top end kit ordering mishap for '14 KTM 250sx..

Premixed112
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 5:53am
Alright, so I ordered a wiseco top end kit on eBay from this company called "apex*racing" for my '14 250sx, but now I'm not sure if I got sent a kit for the wrong year or not because this is my first KTM.. I first noticed that the piston is a one ring model. I did a little searching on this and found that this was stock for 250sx's sometime around '05 I think? And the stock piston I pulled out of my bike was a regular two ring. I was just thinking it was the one ring model and would still be alright to use.. The point where I started questioning whether I got the right kit or not came up when I opened up the gasket kit and didn't see any o-rings for the power valve and the gaskets for the PV covers didn't match at all.

Here's some pictures of what all I got:

The base gasket fits, but the outer o ring for the head was as big as the entire diameter of the top of the cylinder and I couldn't make it fit on there at all.

And another thing that's adding to the confusion is the labeling on the boxes.. The model years on the box for the piston say 03-15 for the SX, but the box that holds everything has "2003-200" with the last number cut off.

So, obviously I either got the wrong gasket set or the entire kit is the wrong year, I have no idea. If someone could clear this up for me I'd really appreciate it so I can contact the company and see if I can do some returning/swapping. If the piston is good, I'll keep it and use it, but I definitely need the correct gasket set because the one I have now is not right at all.
|
WileCyot
6/1/2015 8:54pm
Contact buyer and ask them what's going on. Also, is this a Wiseco gasket kit or an eBay gasket kit?
Sixeightone
6/2/2015 6:40am
Ktm offers a top end kit and it comes with all the stock pieces which include a Vertex piston all powervalve gaskets, and all the base gaskets (multiple thicknesses). Wiseco pistons are not as reliable as the oem piston (Vertex). The stock piston isn't 66.4mm either, it is actually 66.34mm.

That kit looks like it is from 03-05 looking at those PV gaskets although the motor was relatively the same from 03 to current. Do yourself a favor, send that single ring piece of junk back because it'll wear out in half the time!

Ktm part number for the kit you will be looking for is : 00050000011 (1) ! Retail for that kit is $233.99, and I'm sure you can find it much cheaper online! Just remember, stock is trick!

And if you do decide to keep that kit, make sure you measure the ring end gap before you install it. And expect to replace the ring in about half the time you normally would simply because it is a single ring! It will rev quicker, but wear out quicker as well..

Johnboy
Premixed112
6/2/2015 9:27am
Ktm offers a top end kit and it comes with all the stock pieces which include a Vertex piston all powervalve gaskets, and all the base...
Ktm offers a top end kit and it comes with all the stock pieces which include a Vertex piston all powervalve gaskets, and all the base gaskets (multiple thicknesses). Wiseco pistons are not as reliable as the oem piston (Vertex). The stock piston isn't 66.4mm either, it is actually 66.34mm.

That kit looks like it is from 03-05 looking at those PV gaskets although the motor was relatively the same from 03 to current. Do yourself a favor, send that single ring piece of junk back because it'll wear out in half the time!

Ktm part number for the kit you will be looking for is : 00050000011 (1) ! Retail for that kit is $233.99, and I'm sure you can find it much cheaper online! Just remember, stock is trick!

And if you do decide to keep that kit, make sure you measure the ring end gap before you install it. And expect to replace the ring in about half the time you normally would simply because it is a single ring! It will rev quicker, but wear out quicker as well..

Johnboy
Thanks for letting me know about the actual measurement. I'm definitely going to try to return or exchange it if it's not the exact one I need for my bike. It's really frustrating having this happen after paying for it and expecting to get the correct thing and having to keep my bike in pieces while I get this sorted out.
Sixeightone
6/2/2015 9:32am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 9:33am
Ebay is tough, very buyer beware on that site! Hopefully you get it sorted out and you're back riding in no time! Standard turn around if you order from a dealer is 3-4 business days!

The Shop

Fearo
6/2/2015 9:35am
I can't be of much help to you concerning your problems, but I can say 2 things:

-The model year on the box probably meant to say: 2003-2008. I know the engine has basically been the same since 2003 but for some reason a lot of parts are split up between 2003-2008 and 2009-2015.

-I would not trust Wiseco pistons on my bike. I had HUGE problems with them in my previous KTM. The measurement for their "A" size piston was way off, and was close to a C-size in Vertex pistons. The added compression lead to extreme detonation which melted the spark plug tip and destroyed 2 cylinder head. Fun times. KTM OEM pistons are actually Vertex, but they will cost $20-$30 more if you want them in an orange box instead of the grey (Vertex) one Smile .
Premixed112
6/2/2015 10:46am
Fearo wrote:
I can't be of much help to you concerning your problems, but I can say 2 things: -The model year on the box probably meant to...
I can't be of much help to you concerning your problems, but I can say 2 things:

-The model year on the box probably meant to say: 2003-2008. I know the engine has basically been the same since 2003 but for some reason a lot of parts are split up between 2003-2008 and 2009-2015.

-I would not trust Wiseco pistons on my bike. I had HUGE problems with them in my previous KTM. The measurement for their "A" size piston was way off, and was close to a C-size in Vertex pistons. The added compression lead to extreme detonation which melted the spark plug tip and destroyed 2 cylinder head. Fun times. KTM OEM pistons are actually Vertex, but they will cost $20-$30 more if you want them in an orange box instead of the grey (Vertex) one Smile .
On the first point, yeah that's why probably why I should've researched the changes to the engine through the years before doing this, but it was never an issue ordering for my '06 yz250.

And about wiseco, that really blows that you had all of those problems! I like going with wiseco because their pistons are forged and pretty much can't be shattered and last longer. But maybe if I get my money back instead of a swap like I was going to do when I realized I got the wrong kit originally, I'll look into the vertex kit. I bought my bike used and it was a demo bike, so the stock piston was in there for all this time and it seemed to hold up well.
Premixed112
6/2/2015 10:47am
Ebay is tough, very buyer beware on that site! Hopefully you get it sorted out and you're back riding in no time! Standard turn around if...
Ebay is tough, very buyer beware on that site! Hopefully you get it sorted out and you're back riding in no time! Standard turn around if you order from a dealer is 3-4 business days!
I know! I'm pretty positive I put my bike into the dropdown box they had on the page. Here's the link so you guys can see where I got it from and see what the error is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231556222582?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPag…
Premixed112
6/3/2015 10:38am
Can someone tell me if the o-rings for the power valve parts are included in the correct gasket kit that comes with the piston? Or do I need to plan on buying those separately?
slipdog
6/3/2015 11:08am
You got the 2003-2006 kit with the Ti-Nitride coated single ring GP piston that fits '03-'15, but the gasket kit is wrong. You need PK 1883 not PK 1869, or PK 1884 if you want a double ring piston
markit
6/3/2015 11:24am
Ktm offers a top end kit and it comes with all the stock pieces which include a Vertex piston all powervalve gaskets, and all the base...

Johnboy
Its best not to talk about stuff you know not of, sorrt but Wisco are forged, very superior to the cast Vortec. Thats just basic physics.
Premixed112
6/3/2015 11:40am
slipdog wrote:
You got the 2003-2006 kit with the Ti-Nitride coated single ring GP piston that fits '03-'15, but the gasket kit is wrong. You need PK 1883...
You got the 2003-2006 kit with the Ti-Nitride coated single ring GP piston that fits '03-'15, but the gasket kit is wrong. You need PK 1883 not PK 1869, or PK 1884 if you want a double ring piston
Thanks so much for that clarification. I already requested a refund on eBay from this company, I'll send them a message with these part numbers and see if we can get something worked out.
Cancerman
6/3/2015 3:17pm
I run wiseco for the last 40 year's (yes I'm old) never had any problems as long as you measure things. You gotta order the right parts though. Wink
Eversole
6/3/2015 6:39pm
Stick with OEM parts, it will be worth the extra cost. When I raced MX, we tried Wiseco and they never held up to OEM pistons. There's a reason your piston came with 2 rings, so don't change that to a single ring.
njracer46
6/3/2015 7:25pm
As stated above the vertex or stock piston is 66.35 and wiesco is 66.40. Ktm recommends vertex so i went with that, I've put 2 in since owning my 13 250sx. Almost half way through my 3rd season on the bike and easily have well over 100+ hours on it. Never any problems with piston or cylinder. Could have ran every piston for another half of season each time but I like to do one once a year. One thing to keep in mind is they don't come with a wrist pin bearing. I'm 3 for 3 with pro x gaskets, they come with 3 different base gaskets. Can't comment on wiesco, never bought one.
Premixed112
6/3/2015 8:48pm
Thanks everyone, I got it sorted out with the owner of that company. They're drop shipping a new kit to me and a return sticker to send the wrong kit back. New one should be here by Monday or so.

Since I've learned a big portion of what I know about bikes from forums and searching threads, might as well leave a little advice to anyone with a 250sx close to the 2014 model that's looking for info about pistons: The correct code for the piston kit you need if you're going to order from Wiseco is PK1883 (racer's choice is PK1884), the gasket kit is W6622, and the top end bearing has been the same for a long time and is B1037. And QUADRUPLE CHECK BEFORE ORDERING IMPORTANT ENGINE PARTS ON EBAY. Laughing
Fearo
6/4/2015 1:20am
markit wrote:
Its best not to talk about stuff you know not of, sorrt but Wisco are forged, very superior to the cast Vortec. Thats just basic physics.
In no way, shape or form is a forged piston superior to a cast piston.
Slosh 112
6/4/2015 1:38am
Fearo wrote:
ok. Why?
Fearo
6/4/2015 1:56am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 1:59am
Fearo wrote:
Slosh 112 wrote:
ok. Why?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying cast is better than forged. They are different, but one is not "better than the other".
I can list (dis)advantages for both cast and forged but I don't see the point. All I'll say is I had a Wiseco size A (stamped on the piston), that was almost 2 sizes larger than what it should have been.

Also, I'm talking strictly 2-strokes. I have zero experience with anything 4-stroke related.
Sixeightone
6/4/2015 7:38am
markit wrote:
The oem piston that comes in the KTM is a forged Vertex piston.. And if ktm liked wiseco pistons so much how come they don't come stock with them?
slipdog
6/4/2015 2:34pm
markit wrote:
The oem piston that comes in the KTM is a forged Vertex piston.. And if ktm liked wiseco pistons so much how come they don't come...
The oem piston that comes in the KTM is a forged Vertex piston.. And if ktm liked wiseco pistons so much how come they don't come stock with them?
Vertex 2-stroke pistons are cast not forged.
WileCyot
6/4/2015 4:32pm
markit wrote:
The oem piston that comes in the KTM is a forged Vertex piston.. And if ktm liked wiseco pistons so much how come they don't come...
Cost. Forged costs more than cast which results in lost profit at same MSRP.

Post a reply to: eBay top end kit ordering mishap for '14 KTM 250sx..

The Latest