clutch plates.....sharp side up? or sharp side down?

mxfreak144x
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:45pm
I was watching this video from steve matthes and he said wen changing ur clutch plates it doesnt matter wich way you put the clutch plates back in as long as they ae all the same direction......wat do u recommend
|
johnnyg
3/13/2011 7:23am
There the same on both sides, there is no (same side) or wrong way.
MOTODAD422
3/13/2011 4:55pm
johnnyg wrote:
There the same on both sides, there is no (same side) or wrong way.
The metal plates are not the same on both sides. Install them rounded edge towards the engine.
Void Main
3/13/2011 8:01pm
What kind of machine is this where it matters which direction the plates go in?

The Shop

TerryK
3/13/2011 9:28pm
what happens if i do them with round edge facing out
As Matthes said, make sure they are all the same way, rounded edge either in, or out.
TerryK
3/13/2011 9:33pm
Void Main wrote:
Void: The rounded edge of the stamped side of the plate has less contact area that the other side. If you put two or more rounded sides facing each other, you get less contact area on both side of the friction plate. If you've ever drag raced a motorcycle with a clutch put together wrong you will find out how important this is. It may not be as important on a dirt bike, but with the powerful bikes these days it's getting more important.
Void Main
3/14/2011 5:45am
Void Main wrote:
TerryK wrote:
Void: The rounded edge of the stamped side of the plate has less contact area that the other side. If you put two or more rounded...
Void: The rounded edge of the stamped side of the plate has less contact area that the other side. If you put two or more rounded sides facing each other, you get less contact area on both side of the friction plate. If you've ever drag raced a motorcycle with a clutch put together wrong you will find out how important this is. It may not be as important on a dirt bike, but with the powerful bikes these days it's getting more important.
Weird. That's the first I heard of it and there is no mention of it in my YZ250 shop manual in the clutch removal and installation section. I don't happen to have any old plates lying around but I don't recall there being any rounded or sharp edge to the plates.
SteveS
3/14/2011 6:14am
It has to do with which side the stamping die hit. The "top" side of the stamping is rounded. The "bottom" side is sharper.
Void Main
3/14/2011 2:07pm
So then I guess my question is if it is important why isn't it in the service manual?
TerryK
3/14/2011 4:30pm
Void Main wrote:
So then I guess my question is if it is important why isn't it in the service manual?
It is very important on high horsepower engines. No tuner worth his salt will put the plates in the "wrong" way. It's just one of those things that a tuner will do to fine tune and detail a machine for maximum performance and reliability. I've always done it this way and have seen the results of someone doing it the other.
Void Main
3/14/2011 4:48pm
What exactly are the results of doing it the wrong way?
TerryK
3/14/2011 4:54pm
Void Main wrote:
What exactly are the results of doing it the wrong way?
Possible clutch slippage, over heating and excessive wear. Ive seen a clutch with 5 of the seven steel plates in great shape, and the other two blue and distorted from over heating. The two were installed with the rounded side facing each other. Obviously there is no guarantee that this will happen, buy why take the chance if it's simple a matter of looking at each plate before installing it?
Void Main
3/14/2011 5:00pm
I guess on the YZ250 it must be very insignificant. The YZ250 service manual is very detailed and it would surprise me if they left something even slightly significant out of the manual. If they did and it could cause damage by putting them in incorrectly I would be mighty pissed. I know they have a lot more important things going on in Japan at the moment but I'm going to try and get a question through to Yamaha on this.
Void Main
3/14/2011 5:09pm
Contacting Yamaha about this by email might be harder than I thought. Smile I can't find shit for email addresses. Seriously if it is something of even the slightest benefit I would want to see them put it in the service manual. Maybe there is an address in the manual itself where I can send this question. I'll dig around later unless someone knows someone.
lumpy790
3/15/2011 7:04am
This is common knowledge and is taught in OEM tech classes. I imagined the rounded side would slide smoother so have always put them smooth side in so the clutch engaged smoother.
MOTODAD422
3/17/2011 5:48pm
lumpy790 wrote:
This is common knowledge and is taught in OEM tech classes. I imagined the rounded side would slide smoother so have always put them smooth side...
This is common knowledge and is taught in OEM tech classes. I imagined the rounded side would slide smoother so have always put them smooth side in so the clutch engaged smoother.
I was going to say that but thought i would be hosed by the knowitalls on here.
rallendude
3/17/2011 9:35pm
I always logic'd that the sharp side was more likely to hang or drag when the clutch was being engaged or disengaged. Therefore, I always installed the sharp side out. This is the ground side. That way you overcome any hangs or drags with clutch pull and the springs don't have to do that work, which could result in a burned clutch. Plus, that's the way I was taught.
1/5/2018 4:56am
Can anybody help me on here I need to no what way the clutch metal plates go in the friction plates are the same on both sides is that write ?? But I need to know what way the metal plates go in ?

Post a reply to: clutch plates.....sharp side up? or sharp side down?

The Latest