YZ250-Extreme Pitting Problems

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/14/2015 8:08am
Arkmx wrote:
. Thanks for the info. We ran our 06 on the 50/50 blend at 32:1 with no problems. I would not do any less than a...

Thanks for the info.

We ran our 06 on the 50/50 blend at 32:1 with no problems.

I would not do any less than a 50/50 mix on the stock YZ 250, but that's me for an safety / insurance piece of mind.

My oldest stepson Blake used some of the VP U4 or similar (on a friends advice) back in 05 on his new YZ 250 and it did the same thing as the above photos! Do not run straight oxygenated race fuel in a two stroke! He learned the hard was in just a few hours...

Cheers!
Also, with the U4, not only the oxygenation, but weren't some of the earlier versions actually rather low octane? in that case, you would get the worst of both worlds in a YZ250. The low octane and the high oxygen which would effectively lean your jetting if you did not re-jet to compensate.

CamP, I know they slightly lowered the compression in 2011 (it was actually to make the bike 1-world standard, same as the Euro, AUS bikes, etc along with the stupid long muffler), but even my 2006 will run great on 91 pump gas provided I jet for it. But then I will get a slight bit of spooge and slightly less crisp throttle response and the combustion chamber and power valve get more gunked up. So, I just stick with the 100 and it runs great.

1/14/2015 8:15am
Arkmx wrote:
. Thanks for the info. We ran our 06 on the 50/50 blend at 32:1 with no problems. I would not do any less than a...

Thanks for the info.

We ran our 06 on the 50/50 blend at 32:1 with no problems.

I would not do any less than a 50/50 mix on the stock YZ 250, but that's me for an safety / insurance piece of mind.

My oldest stepson Blake used some of the VP U4 or similar (on a friends advice) back in 05 on his new YZ 250 and it did the same thing as the above photos! Do not run straight oxygenated race fuel in a two stroke! He learned the hard was in just a few hours...

Cheers!
FGR01 wrote:
Also, with the U4, not only the oxygenation, but weren't some of the earlier versions actually rather low octane? in that case, you would get the...
Also, with the U4, not only the oxygenation, but weren't some of the earlier versions actually rather low octane? in that case, you would get the worst of both worlds in a YZ250. The low octane and the high oxygen which would effectively lean your jetting if you did not re-jet to compensate.

CamP, I know they slightly lowered the compression in 2011 (it was actually to make the bike 1-world standard, same as the Euro, AUS bikes, etc along with the stupid long muffler), but even my 2006 will run great on 91 pump gas provided I jet for it. But then I will get a slight bit of spooge and slightly less crisp throttle response and the combustion chamber and power valve get more gunked up. So, I just stick with the 100 and it runs great.

What 100 do you run? I have an airport literally half mile from my house. Might look into picking up some 100LL, seems some people have used it with great success.
CamP
1/14/2015 8:32am
FGR01 wrote:
Also, with the U4, not only the oxygenation, but weren't some of the earlier versions actually rather low octane? in that case, you would get the...

There are a number of factors to consider. We know the YZ's compression ratio is on the ragged edge end of detonation with pump premium gas. This makes fuel quality and elevation critical. If you are at high elevation, you won't need as much octane as someone at sea level. Fuel quality varies from city to city and state to state. 91 in CA isn't the same as 91 in TX, and the refineries change their formulas in winter/summer, which leaves you chasing your jetting tail several times a year. Also, if you are pumping fuel from a station that uses one hoses for all fuel grades, you'll end up with some 87 octane fuel in your jug as it clears the pump/hose. That means if you buy only 2 gallons of premium, you could actually end up with something closer to 89 octane in your jug.

You can throw fuel at the problem, but as you stated, you end up over-rich. The best option is to add enough good fuel to allow crisp jetting without detonation. My personal solution is to run 100LL avgas in all my stock compression 2-strokes and 110 race gas in my high compression bikes. That way I have enough safety factor to jet crisp, and my baseline never changes.

For the guys that are bound to pump gas, I'd suggest that they have the head milled to add volume, and reduce compression. That way they can have the peace of mind that their bikes will never burn down due to insufficient octane.
simmons97
1/14/2015 8:52am
FGR01 wrote:

CamP wrote:
There are a number of factors to consider. We know the YZ's compression ratio is on the ragged edge end of detonation with pump premium gas...
There are a number of factors to consider. We know the YZ's compression ratio is on the ragged edge end of detonation with pump premium gas. This makes fuel quality and elevation critical. If you are at high elevation, you won't need as much octane as someone at sea level. Fuel quality varies from city to city and state to state. 91 in CA isn't the same as 91 in TX, and the refineries change their formulas in winter/summer, which leaves you chasing your jetting tail several times a year. Also, if you are pumping fuel from a station that uses one hoses for all fuel grades, you'll end up with some 87 octane fuel in your jug as it clears the pump/hose. That means if you buy only 2 gallons of premium, you could actually end up with something closer to 89 octane in your jug.

You can throw fuel at the problem, but as you stated, you end up over-rich. The best option is to add enough good fuel to allow crisp jetting without detonation. My personal solution is to run 100LL avgas in all my stock compression 2-strokes and 110 race gas in my high compression bikes. That way I have enough safety factor to jet crisp, and my baseline never changes.

For the guys that are bound to pump gas, I'd suggest that they have the head milled to add volume, and reduce compression. That way they can have the peace of mind that their bikes will never burn down due to insufficient octane.
I would agree on that except for two things. First, milling the head is going to increase compression. You're essentially making the combustion chamber smaller, so the same amount of air inside the cylinder must be compressed to an even smaller area. So milling the head will make your bike require I higher octane fuel. Second is more of a recommendation, if I were you, I'd be totally comfortable running 100LL in a mod bike. I actually run it in my mod 125 and have easy access to it as I'm also a pilot 100LL (because it is leaded) actually has the octane quality of a 110-130 octane fuel. This is confusing to some people and they say "well that must be crappy fuel because it's so inconsistent" false, in aircraft we are constantly changing the "jetting" (we call it mixture because there are no jets) I'm flight. At a rich setting (used for full power takeoff) it is 130 octane. But at a very very lean setting (cruise flight) it is about 110 octane. You can generalize to about 120 for a good jetting on a motorcycle.

In conclusion, 100LL is a great fuel to use in any race application given: you can run leaded fuel if you're in a race, and you jet slightly richer due to AvGas' lower specific gravity. It is better than most VP fuels and I'm pretty sure that it worked out to be slightly better than VP's C12.
Feel free to ask questions about AvGas because it is a highly misunderstood topic...

The Shop

CamP
1/14/2015 9:03am
simmons97 wrote:
I would agree on that except for two things. First, milling the head is going to increase compression. You're essentially making the combustion chamber smaller, so...
I would agree on that except for two things. First, milling the head is going to increase compression. You're essentially making the combustion chamber smaller, so the same amount of air inside the cylinder must be compressed to an even smaller area. So milling the head will make your bike require I higher octane fuel. Second is more of a recommendation, if I were you, I'd be totally comfortable running 100LL in a mod bike. I actually run it in my mod 125 and have easy access to it as I'm also a pilot 100LL (because it is leaded) actually has the octane quality of a 110-130 octane fuel. This is confusing to some people and they say "well that must be crappy fuel because it's so inconsistent" false, in aircraft we are constantly changing the "jetting" (we call it mixture because there are no jets) I'm flight. At a rich setting (used for full power takeoff) it is 130 octane. But at a very very lean setting (cruise flight) it is about 110 octane. You can generalize to about 120 for a good jetting on a motorcycle.

In conclusion, 100LL is a great fuel to use in any race application given: you can run leaded fuel if you're in a race, and you jet slightly richer due to AvGas' lower specific gravity. It is better than most VP fuels and I'm pretty sure that it worked out to be slightly better than VP's C12.
Feel free to ask questions about AvGas because it is a highly misunderstood topic...
Sorry for the confusion. When I said to mill the head for more volume, I more specifically meant to mill the head's dome, not the gasket surface.

I've been running 100LL for 35 years. It is great 2-stroke fuel, but it does not have enough octane required for the ultra-high compression in my mod CR. When measured like auto fuel, 100LL has an R+M/2 closer to 99 octane, as told to me by a fuel engineer. The R+M/2 octane requirement for my CR is closer to 104, so I have been mixing 100LL and VP110 50:50 to keep that engine healthy.

Dragoo168
1/14/2015 9:40am
That's because standard AvGas isn't formulated for performance as much as to be a clean standard for the elevations at which planes fly,..it's the fuel quality, more than the octane (That too, depending what type you buy) that has been the main advantage for motorctcles.
simmons97
1/14/2015 9:46am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 9:53am
CamP wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. When I said to mill the head for more volume, I more specifically meant to mill the head's dome, not the gasket...
Sorry for the confusion. When I said to mill the head for more volume, I more specifically meant to mill the head's dome, not the gasket surface.

I've been running 100LL for 35 years. It is great 2-stroke fuel, but it does not have enough octane required for the ultra-high compression in my mod CR. When measured like auto fuel, 100LL has an R+M/2 closer to 99 octane, as told to me by a fuel engineer. The R+M/2 octane requirement for my CR is closer to 104, so I have been mixing 100LL and VP110 50:50 to keep that engine healthy.

Ahh I see what you mean with he cylinder head. That makes sense. And I forgot about the R+M/2, here's the true AvGas numbers.

AvGas, source: Exxonmobile.com Note: these are the lean numbers. So in a race type jetting setting, you will get slightly higher than these listed.
RON, not given. Instead they use PN (performance number, which from my understanding is generally RON give or take 5) 130.0
MON= 99.6
PN+MON/2= 114.8
Oxygenated: No.
Lead content: .56 g/L

We'll compare to U4.4 because of its popularity. Source: VPRacingfuels.com
RON= 114
MON= 103
R+M/2= 108.5
Oxygenated: Yes, sadly.
Lead content: I believe I remember seeing .6 g/l but cannot find that anymore.

Another benefit is that AvGas is highly resistant to vapor lock. We can see from here that they are generally about the same. It all depends on if you believe in RON or MON or in this case PN. For both fuels you will need a richer setting. VP because it is oxygenated, AvGas because it has a lighter specific gravity than most fuels. I find it interesting to compare these numbers!
simmons97
1/14/2015 9:53am
Dragoo168 wrote:
That's because standard AvGas isn't formulated for performance as much as to be a clean standard for the elevations at which planes fly,..it's the fuel quality...
That's because standard AvGas isn't formulated for performance as much as to be a clean standard for the elevations at which planes fly,..it's the fuel quality, more than the octane (That too, depending what type you buy) that has been the main advantage for motorctcles.
False, aircraft engines have higher compression ratios than a lot of stock bikes. The helicopter I fly has a compression ratio of 10.8:1 far more than the YZ250's 8.9:1 at higher rpm and still slightly more than its 10.6:1 at low rpm (due to the power valves.)
It has nothing to do with elevation, when we go up in altitude in the helicopter or airplane, we just simply lean the fuel-air ratio.
Micahdogg
1/14/2015 10:49am
Regardless, that spotting pattern on the piston and head, are caused from detonation. That is liquid metal.

Increasing your octane is a good start - especially since your jetting appeared to be reasonable. You guys also have to remember, every pump in the country that says 93 on the handle isn't going to have the same fuel. There are bad batches and there are tanks out there with all kinds of contamination. For all you know, it could have been 87 octane coming out of the handle. Running at the ragged edge is also going to leave you no room for bad gas, for a jetting error, for operating the bike in too cold of a temperature, for a mechanical issue (powervalve binding). It is asking for trouble.

In theory, that bike should be able to run on 93 octane. I guess you could say it hasn't blown up yet, so it's "working." My first start would be to do a 50/50 mix of your most reasonable race gas in the area. If it's a crank seal leak, you'll figure that out soon enough if it keeps acting up.
simmons97
1/14/2015 11:05am
Micahdogg wrote:
Regardless, that spotting pattern on the piston and head, are caused from detonation. That is liquid metal. Increasing your octane is a good start - especially...
Regardless, that spotting pattern on the piston and head, are caused from detonation. That is liquid metal.

Increasing your octane is a good start - especially since your jetting appeared to be reasonable. You guys also have to remember, every pump in the country that says 93 on the handle isn't going to have the same fuel. There are bad batches and there are tanks out there with all kinds of contamination. For all you know, it could have been 87 octane coming out of the handle. Running at the ragged edge is also going to leave you no room for bad gas, for a jetting error, for operating the bike in too cold of a temperature, for a mechanical issue (powervalve binding). It is asking for trouble.

In theory, that bike should be able to run on 93 octane. I guess you could say it hasn't blown up yet, so it's "working." My first start would be to do a 50/50 mix of your most reasonable race gas in the area. If it's a crank seal leak, you'll figure that out soon enough if it keeps acting up.
Agreed entirely. I've always had a personal mental block with mixing fuels though. You never know if its TRULY 50/50. But in a case like this I'm sure it wouldn't matter. However it may be cheaper to use Avgas (mixing it or not) as it's only $5.50 a gallon where I'm at. Only trouble is getting your hands on it. Generally airports don't let people off the street into the airport. Too much liability. On top of that, if its a full service fueler, they probably won't pump into a can for you and it would be illegal for them to put it into your car because it doesn't have road taxes on it. My recommendation if you wanted to use Avgas would be to go to a local municipal airport and get a hold of someone there and explain your intentions and they'll probably help you out.
Anyways, Micahdogg is right, start with higher fuel grade, then check other things if problems persist.
1/14/2015 11:43am
I think I will throw a 50 and 180 in the carb and mix premix 40:1. That should give me a safe starting point. Then do a pressure test to determine if something other than jetting (crank seals?) was contributing to my lean condition. I'll have to decide if I want to try starting with straight pump or not...keep in mind powerseal is cutting .010" out of the squish. I'm not sure what that equates to in the grand scheme of things but that should definitely help. Also ordered a dial guage so I can get my timing spot on.

Anyone see any problems with my "game plan"?

Thanks again for the replies!

CamP
1/14/2015 12:54pm
I think I will throw a 50 and 180 in the carb and mix premix 40:1. That should give me a safe starting point. Then do...
I think I will throw a 50 and 180 in the carb and mix premix 40:1. That should give me a safe starting point. Then do a pressure test to determine if something other than jetting (crank seals?) was contributing to my lean condition. I'll have to decide if I want to try starting with straight pump or not...keep in mind powerseal is cutting .010" out of the squish. I'm not sure what that equates to in the grand scheme of things but that should definitely help. Also ordered a dial guage so I can get my timing spot on.

Anyone see any problems with my "game plan"?

Thanks again for the replies!

If they take .010" out of the squish band alone, you'll add about 0.5cc to the volume of the head.
CamP
1/14/2015 12:57pm
simmons97 wrote:
Agreed entirely. I've always had a personal mental block with mixing fuels though. You never know if its TRULY 50/50. But in a case like this...
Agreed entirely. I've always had a personal mental block with mixing fuels though. You never know if its TRULY 50/50. But in a case like this I'm sure it wouldn't matter. However it may be cheaper to use Avgas (mixing it or not) as it's only $5.50 a gallon where I'm at. Only trouble is getting your hands on it. Generally airports don't let people off the street into the airport. Too much liability. On top of that, if its a full service fueler, they probably won't pump into a can for you and it would be illegal for them to put it into your car because it doesn't have road taxes on it. My recommendation if you wanted to use Avgas would be to go to a local municipal airport and get a hold of someone there and explain your intentions and they'll probably help you out.
Anyways, Micahdogg is right, start with higher fuel grade, then check other things if problems persist.
I get my 100LL from a couple of smaller airports with self serve pumps. They both have open pedestrian access to the pumps through unlocked gates. Running $4.40/gal right now.
Micahdogg
1/14/2015 1:02pm
Sounds like a solid gameplan. I know how much of a pain it is to rely on race gas so I can understand you wanting to stay on the pump. Maybe try a different gas station though.
Dragoo168
1/14/2015 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 1:13pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
That's because standard AvGas isn't formulated for performance as much as to be a clean standard for the elevations at which planes fly,..it's the fuel quality...
simmons97 wrote:
False, aircraft engines have higher compression ratios than a lot of stock bikes. The helicopter I fly has a compression ratio of 10.8:1 far more than...
False, aircraft engines have higher compression ratios than a lot of stock bikes. The helicopter I fly has a compression ratio of 10.8:1 far more than the YZ250's 8.9:1 at higher rpm and still slightly more than its 10.6:1 at low rpm (due to the power valves.)
It has nothing to do with elevation, when we go up in altitude in the helicopter or airplane, we just simply lean the fuel-air ratio.
Not False, but I'm not going to get into a pissing match over aviation knowledge, or Motorcycle engine knowledge, but I was referring to standard (lower) grade AvGas, which caters to most (Light) aircraft that ARE low compression engines. Once upon a time, airports used to stock different octane levels of avgas - they dyed the fuel different colors so you could visually identify them.

Most of the lower power, normally aspirated planes, used 80 octane fuel, which was red. Larger and turbocharged engines required higher octane, leaded 100/130 was green. You could not run the 100/130 consistently in the smaller planes, as the amount of lead tended to foul spark plugs. When 100LL (blue) was introduced, it was used as a replacement for both types. Many small planes do not really need 100 octane, but lower octane avgas is not produced, there is not enough of a market to justify it.

Many small planes run fine on automotive fuel, but it does require an Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) and formal approval. In most cases the only modification required is changing the placards on the fuel caps. One problem with current mogas is that in many states it contains a large among of ethanol, which is a problem if it is to be used in a plane. Another is that few airports stock auto fuel, for logistical and liability reasons: it requires separate tanks and pumps, and if they were to pump mogas into the wrong plane and there were any issues, they would be sued.

A side note: many old military piston engines were designed to run on 115/145 (purple). Since it is no longer commonly available, the examples you see at airshows have to limit throttle settings to allow the engines to survive on 100LL.

Another characteristic is in how it is refined, to aid in preventing vaporlock!

Regardless, I was merely supporting what CamP was saying in that AvGas has been a great fuel in 2-strokes for a long time, and personally Reiterating the emphasis on the benefits of fuel quality as well as octane. While many should learn to utilize density readings to tune, the simplest place to start is with the suggestion of a basic idea to use a fuel (In any bike), that will provide consistency in performance.
1/14/2015 1:14pm
CamP wrote:
If they take .010" out of the squish band alone, you'll add about 0.5cc to the volume of the head.
So that'll put me right in line with the 2011+ bikes, cool. I can literally see the local airport from my house and they have 100LL, just need to confirm accessibility. Good to know it's there so I can go that route if I need to.
simmons97
1/14/2015 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 1:32pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
simmons97 wrote:
False, aircraft engines have higher compression ratios than a lot of stock bikes. The helicopter I fly has a compression ratio of 10.8:1 far more than...
Dragoo168 wrote:
Not False, but I'm not going to get into a pissing match over aviation knowledge, or Motorcycle engine knowledge, but I was referring to standard (lower)...
Not False, but I'm not going to get into a pissing match over aviation knowledge, or Motorcycle engine knowledge, but I was referring to standard (lower) grade AvGas, which caters to most (Light) aircraft that ARE low compression engines. Once upon a time, airports used to stock different octane levels of avgas - they dyed the fuel different colors so you could visually identify them.

Most of the lower power, normally aspirated planes, used 80 octane fuel, which was red. Larger and turbocharged engines required higher octane, leaded 100/130 was green. You could not run the 100/130 consistently in the smaller planes, as the amount of lead tended to foul spark plugs. When 100LL (blue) was introduced, it was used as a replacement for both types. Many small planes do not really need 100 octane, but lower octane avgas is not produced, there is not enough of a market to justify it.

Many small planes run fine on automotive fuel, but it does require an Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) and formal approval. In most cases the only modification required is changing the placards on the fuel caps. One problem with current mogas is that in many states it contains a large among of ethanol, which is a problem if it is to be used in a plane. Another is that few airports stock auto fuel, for logistical and liability reasons: it requires separate tanks and pumps, and if they were to pump mogas into the wrong plane and there were any issues, they would be sued.

A side note: many old military piston engines were designed to run on 115/145 (purple). Since it is no longer commonly available, the examples you see at airshows have to limit throttle settings to allow the engines to survive on 100LL.

Another characteristic is in how it is refined, to aid in preventing vaporlock!

Regardless, I was merely supporting what CamP was saying in that AvGas has been a great fuel in 2-strokes for a long time, and personally Reiterating the emphasis on the benefits of fuel quality as well as octane. While many should learn to utilize density readings to tune, the simplest place to start is with the suggestion of a basic idea to use a fuel (In any bike), that will provide consistency in performance.
You can no longer get a hold of the old 100/130 or the 115/145, just like you said. All we have now is 100LL and JetA (jets only, its pretty much kerosene) Everything you said there is completely true, so why were you questioning my comment of false? Sure, some aircraft do have low compression, if they're a pile of crap. I used to fly a really nice piston airplane at 28,000 feet and it had a compression ratio of 11.7:1! It's just like motorcycles, it differs with every bike. A 110 had like what? A 6:1? It's different for everything. The only "standard" Avgas is 100LL now. If you can get a hold of 115/145 for less than $20 a gallon, by all means get it! That stuff is amazing! You just can't these days. However, I do want to compliment you on your aviation fuel history knowledge and your knowledge on STC's. Those are something that people don't generally understand. Smile
simmons97
1/14/2015 1:25pm
CamP wrote:
I get my 100LL from a couple of smaller airports with self serve pumps. They both have open pedestrian access to the pumps through unlocked gates...
I get my 100LL from a couple of smaller airports with self serve pumps. They both have open pedestrian access to the pumps through unlocked gates. Running $4.40/gal right now.
That's awesome! That's what is considered a "municipal" airport. One that doesn't have any commercial airline flights. Otherwise they are required by law to be gated and locked to the public... NTSB sucks. A lot.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/17/2015 10:26pm
So, I tried 100LL in my 2006 YZ250 today. Compared to the 100 Octane "Race Gas" from the pump that I usually run, the 100LL seemed to make the bike a hair richer. It had a slight rich stutter on the initial throttle response. I tried to tune it out with the air screw but ended up having to open it too far so I dropped the pilot from a 50 to a 48. Seems pretty good. I chalked the richness up to the 100LL having no ethanol or oxygenation. Strangely I did not lean anything else out. Pulled nice and clean and strong everywhere else. One thing I noticed, the 100LL smells exactly like the VP110 I used to get years ago.
Jakes Dad
1/18/2015 5:18am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2015 5:20am
Ran 100LL in our supermini's 19 to 1 (uncorrected) for 2 years. Never blew one up from detno, did show some until I changed needles. Getting the YZ 250 cyl/head back which will be 15.8 to 1 with a 50% squish at around .040. I am allowed to post pictures of the work, my guy (no spam here) does work nobody on this continent does to 2 stroke "MX" cylinders.
1/28/2015 5:41am
Got the engine back together and it won't start, I feel like such a newb! Granted, its been 3+ yrs since I've done my last rebuild. Almost seems like it's not getting any spark, like it won't even try to start.

To summarize, cleaned carb and installed 180 main and 50 pilot. New wiseco piston, crank, bearings, seals, etc. Set timing to stock at .007". Going to start troubleshooting after work but figured I'd see if anyone had any obvious ideas.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/28/2015 8:33am
Got the engine back together and it won't start, I feel like such a newb! Granted, its been 3+ yrs since I've done my last rebuild...
Got the engine back together and it won't start, I feel like such a newb! Granted, its been 3+ yrs since I've done my last rebuild. Almost seems like it's not getting any spark, like it won't even try to start.

To summarize, cleaned carb and installed 180 main and 50 pilot. New wiseco piston, crank, bearings, seals, etc. Set timing to stock at .007". Going to start troubleshooting after work but figured I'd see if anyone had any obvious ideas.

Well, based on this picture I'd say you need to get fuel to the carb. No tank is a dead giveaway!. Laughing

Pull the plug out and lay it on the cylinder- are you actually getting spark?
Is the plug a little wet, indicating that fuel is making it into the cylinder?
1/28/2015 8:43am
I knew some funny guy was gonna come in and say that! Laughing That'll be the first thing I do. I'm gonna feel like an idiot if it's this, but I need to make sure I have the plug wire on all the way. I feel like it was on but i didn't feel a distinct "snap" and it's hard to get leverage with the tank on.
Paw Paw 271
1/28/2015 9:36am
Do an ohms test on the coil.
Also check the hour meter wire in the spark plug cap.

Paw Paw
1/28/2015 3:38pm
Been going through all the Ignition tests in the service manual. I'm getting no reading for ignition coil 1. Is my stator shot? Dry I wouldn't think that would just randomly happen during a rebuild. Dammitt I need to go riding this weekend!
Paw Paw 271
1/28/2015 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2015 5:04pm
The ignition coil can get dirty and or rusty at the mounts. The spark plug wire can get dirty or corroded. The ohms test will tell you is going on. Your manual should show you how to do these test. If you are having trouble understanding it, go to youtube and look at the videos on how to test a coil.

FYI: Your spark plug cap looks beat up. I think this may be your problem.
Your hour meter wire could be giving you a problem and not allowing the spark energy to reach the spark plug.

Paw Paw
1/29/2015 5:17am
The ignition coil can get dirty and or rusty at the mounts. The spark plug wire can get dirty or corroded. The ohms test will tell...
The ignition coil can get dirty and or rusty at the mounts. The spark plug wire can get dirty or corroded. The ohms test will tell you is going on. Your manual should show you how to do these test. If you are having trouble understanding it, go to youtube and look at the videos on how to test a coil.

FYI: Your spark plug cap looks beat up. I think this may be your problem.
Your hour meter wire could be giving you a problem and not allowing the spark energy to reach the spark plug.

Paw Paw
I did the ohm's test on the coil as shown in the manual, results were within spec:

Then I did the source coil tests and got no reading for source coil 1:

I then put the leads directly onto the stator where the black and black/red wires are soldered on, still nothing.

1/30/2015 11:01am
We have ignition! It was indeed the stator, and I have a theory on what happened to it, but I'm embarrassed to admit my brainfart Tongue Anyway, I'm running on 93 mixed 40:1 right now and want to make sure it's not detonating. I obviously don't know what exactly it sounds like since I've never caught it in the past. I know this video blows, but any observations?

https://youtu.be/b3p-gmcInis
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/31/2015 8:12pm
Detonation usually happens under a heavy load and/or when the engine gets good and hot. You won't be able to tell on the stand like that.

Post a reply to: YZ250-Extreme Pitting Problems

The Latest