Worn brake pedal pivot rod. R&R?

10/23/2014 7:34pm
I have used an oil-lite bushing and make the ID the same as the shaft then make the OD the same a the pivot hole in the brake pedal. The only other way to do it right is cut off the original shaft and weld up another shaft to the frame.
10/24/2014 4:31am
I have used an oil-lite bushing and make the ID the same as the shaft then make the OD the same a the pivot hole in...
I have used an oil-lite bushing and make the ID the same as the shaft then make the OD the same a the pivot hole in the brake pedal. The only other way to do it right is cut off the original shaft and weld up another shaft to the frame.
Can you explain the first option with the oillite bushing? So you are saying to press out the bushing from the lever and then slide a new oillite bushing over the worn shaft that has the same OD as the ID of the lever?

mxtech1
10/24/2014 6:57am
You are on the right track. Best thing to do here is to take the frame to a fab or weld shop and have them install a new standoff.

If you can buy the right OD standoff that just needs milled to the proper length, you can probably save a little bit of money.

The Shop

10/24/2014 8:39am
How do I find a competent weld shop who will weld the standoff on straight, and not make a huge mess? I got burned badly by a weld shop on my last project. I am gunshy.
scooter5002
10/24/2014 8:47am
Not that big of a job, really. If it was me, I'd zip cut the old one off, drill the frame, and plug weld the new one in, from the backside. You need to have a shoulder cut into the new standoff, and drill the hole smaller then the size of the actual standoff. Trick is to drill the hole square to the frame, and not make a mess of the surface the standoff faces up to.
mxtech1
10/24/2014 8:56am
How do I find a competent weld shop who will weld the standoff on straight, and not make a huge mess? I got burned badly by...
How do I find a competent weld shop who will weld the standoff on straight, and not make a huge mess? I got burned badly by a weld shop on my last project. I am gunshy.
Just find a shop that will allow you to pay after you inspect their work.

This shouldn't be a hard job and any halfway competent guy could do it. The only critical part is making sure it gets put on at a perfect 90 degrees.

I would advise taking your pedal with you when you pick it up so you can slide it on and make sure it is not pointing in or our excessively.
10/24/2014 10:17am
The unfortunate part is that the frame is powder coated. I don't mind touching up the bracket with kaw green paint, but someone could carelessly weld and let the splatter mar surfaces of other parts of the frame.

Not sure how I'll cut off the existing standoff without getting into the frame or the support bracket (pictured above). I think I can get a 7/8" cutoff wheel for a dremel. Frame isn't hardened so I should be able to drill out the tab hole so the welder just has to tack, check for straigthess, then weld.
scooter5002
10/24/2014 10:38am
You're talking about a Zip cut wheel for a grinder, correct? Not a Dremel high speed hand tool.

Post a reply to: Worn brake pedal pivot rod. R&R?

The Latest