What year engines will fit my 05 YZ250?

mj731
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2013 12:26pm
After breaking a ring I started my YZ250 project. I already have a new top end but when I split the cases I found more problems and want to replace them. I have new crank and bearings for the entire engine and am wondering if anyone knows for sure what year cases I could use. I know I could buy new cases but they would put me over budget and was hoping I could find good used ones.
|
mx5471
6/20/2012 4:25pm
I believe, anything from '02 to '10 will be the same. There was a change to the left case in '11. But you have to check with a dealer to be sure. The numbers may not match, but the dealer checks what you want and sometimes the numbers aren't the same, but they sub up to the new number, and will fit. If you end up with a new left case, there is a blind bearing in it for one of the tranny shafts. It won't come with the case, and is almost impossible to get out of the old one, so order that too, if you get a new one. What problems did you find, that makes you think you need to replace the cases? Those bikes are as rock solid as you can get.
mj731
6/20/2012 4:50pm
There was a hole in the case from the chain on one side that I knew about already but then I found more JB cold weld on the other side where a rock must have poked a hole. I don't want to epoxy on the cases and I would rather find good parts than have these welded up. Unfortunately all of the local dealers are so bad that if you went to the parts dept. and asked to an inner tube and gave them the size they will still bring up the wrong one so they are no help. I've looked up part numbers but just wondered if there are any of the different part numbers that have such minor changes that they can still be interchanged. Thanks for the help.
pete24
6/20/2012 4:53pm
i have a blown up 02 complete bike if the cases are the same let me know im parting it out
mx5471
6/20/2012 7:15pm
mj731, I have had a case welded before with excellent success. But at other times, were not able to be welded. It depends on what they put into the mix that day to make the thing. Take it to a good , experienced welding shop. They will know the minute they try to weld it, if it'll work. As long as it s not near a seal in the case, do it. I'll tell you what. Good people, generate more good people. mxb2 was very helpful to me. I didn't know him, but he's a good dude and helped me. I'm going to the Yamaha dealer here and I'll check the compatibility out for you, and answer you on this post tomorrow. Once,when my son broke the case from hitting a rock, I took it apart, and cleaned it up real good. Then I used the JB Weld on the inside, and the outside of the case. It worked great. Never had a problem.If you're building that bike you need to do it right. These days ,guys are scooping them up. Easy to sell as compared to a used 4. I think the '02 will fit, but I'll let you know tomorrow.

The Shop

LR255
3/4/2013 9:55am
pete24 wrote:
i have a blown up 02 complete bike if the cases are the same let me know im parting it out
Pete24, do you still have the bike/cases? If you do please let me know ASAP i am interested!
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/5/2013 8:14pm
The 99-2013 all use the same basic engine but the pressed in collar in the cases did change at one point due to a different size swingarm pivot shaft. Not sure which year but I think when they switched to the aluminum frame in 2005. Check the Yamaha 2-stroke forum on Thumpertalk. This has been covered extensively by guys doing frame swaps between steel and aluminum bikes.
JCollins762
3/25/2013 7:02pm
As far as I know, the 02-12' should be close to identical. Don't count on my word though.
slipdog
3/26/2013 9:46am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2013 9:47am
A friend put a '00 in an '06 chassis, but had to dremel out the swingarm passage like FGR said. Worked like a champ.

I think he had to buy the '06 head stay also.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/27/2013 8:31pm
the pipe changed a little when they went to the aluminum frame.
The stock pipe changed when they went to the aluminum frame. It has more clearance for the bigger aluminum frame where it wraps around the downtube in the front. However, all mount points are the same. So basically, the newer pipes are backwards compatible to the steel frames since they have more than enough clearance but the old pipes won't clear on an aluminum frame. Also, most aftermarket pipes have lots of clearance and are designed to fit all 1999-2013 bikes.
Skerby
4/11/2013 12:26pm
mx5471 wrote:
I believe, anything from '02 to '10 will be the same. There was a change to the left case in '11. But you have to check...
I believe, anything from '02 to '10 will be the same. There was a change to the left case in '11. But you have to check with a dealer to be sure. The numbers may not match, but the dealer checks what you want and sometimes the numbers aren't the same, but they sub up to the new number, and will fit. If you end up with a new left case, there is a blind bearing in it for one of the tranny shafts. It won't come with the case, and is almost impossible to get out of the old one, so order that too, if you get a new one. What problems did you find, that makes you think you need to replace the cases? Those bikes are as rock solid as you can get.
Replaced that blind bearing for the fourth time on my 09 a week ago. High speed drill and a cutting disk, be careful.
Squirrely E
1/30/2017 10:39am
pete24 wrote:
Do you still have the crank case??

Post a reply to: What year engines will fit my 05 YZ250?

The Latest