What is the easiest way to remove shock from FI bikes?

pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
Swapping the shock has always been straight forward on my carburetor equipped bikes, but the latest FI bikes pose a few annoying extra tasks to get the shock out. On my '14 KX250F, it becomes an issue when removing the airboot out of the way. The fuel line to the second fuel injector housed in the airboot has such little slack that you're forced to disconnect the fuel line from the injector in order to get the airboot out of the way. On the KX250F, the injector and fuel line are connected by a push type, quick disconnect fitting. Turns out, this quick disconnect is really not that easy to remove. It becomes worse when trying to install the fuel line back to the injector. Because there is no slack in the line and the injector is fixed into the airbox, it was really difficult to get the fitting fully seated. I ended up removing the injector from the boot which made it easier to push into the fuel line. And then once the fitting was fully seated, I installed the injector with line connected back into the boot. Even this method was painstaking and exposed the injector to dirt.

a) Is there any trick to fitting the fuel line to the injector on this model? I looked at a few youtube videos (usually being performed on autos) and it appeared much easier.

b) I'm often swapping shocks (I have two for testing) Is there another way to remove the shock that does not require removing the airboot/subframe? I was thinking you could remove the linkage and drop the shock down through the swingarm. Does anyone know a better way?
|
crc245
9/8/2016 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2016 10:16pm
Not sure with the 250F Kawi because of the DFI, but on the 450's all you have to do is: Remove seat, right side panel, exhaust (and midpipe on select pipe models), all four subframe bolts, and both shock bolt nuts. Wiggle/shimmie/shake to remove both shock bolts and then maneuver the subframe all the way to the side opposite the exhaust. The shock slides up and out toward exhaust side, no problem. Only hangups are the front shrouds on our 12'-15' models; they have a tang that locates them into the airbox for the seamless side appearance. I always try to remove shocks without loosening and removing air boot - Too much hassle to realign...

Best of luck and please let us know the trick if you figure it out!
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
9/9/2016 5:57pm
Video was great, and was spot on to what crc said. I must not be pushing the subframe/airbox assembly to the left far enough. Now that I know that's the trick, It's just as simple as the older bikes.

Thanks for the help !

Post a reply to: What is the easiest way to remove shock from FI bikes?

The Latest