Weird question 01 rm125

treefitti
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 4:58am
So not sure if this is going to be in the right place. Well half of it will be at least. I live in Ohio and have never really purchased anything off of craigslist other than my jon boat and didn't really know the laws about purchasing. I wanted to buy a bike so this guy had a 2001 rm125 in ok shape ( I don't mind working on engines) It starts right up but the shift lever and shift shaft are stripped so I ordered the parts. Anywho, I didnt get a title or bill of sale. I mean I didnt even think anything of it until my friends said that I had to have one and it could be stolen or still a lien on it. I pretty much freaked out lol.
I called the police, then the BMV and they ran the VIN and it wasnt stolen and it came back as never titled? They then said something to the effect I would need to petition a court for a title then get it inspected by law enforcement. Which is fine, I am glad it wasnt stolen. If it was I would have gladly turned the bike over and ate the $800. I guess my question is if I buy a new frame with proof of ownership and swap parts is it easy to do? Ive messed with outboard motors but never nothing like this. Would I be for a disaster or is it pretty straight forward? I am just thinking if I swap frames I could skip the petition court thing and just get the bike inspected. Then again I have no clue if that'd even work Smile Thanks guys!
|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 2:35pm
It's pretty damn easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I would recommend getting a manual so you can torque everything properly. Especially a 125, where you have a lot of room to work, you can basically transfer over the suspension and then you can plop the motor in/electronics/subframe/airbox. Or pull the motor and put it in the new frame first and build around that.
treefitti
1/21/2016 2:35pm
I forgot to add, If I wanted to remove the engine and clean and polish it what parts are essential to remove and what can I leave together? Thanks!
treefitti
1/21/2016 2:37pm
seth505 wrote:
It's pretty damn easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I would recommend getting a manual so you can torque everything properly. Especially a 125, where...
It's pretty damn easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I would recommend getting a manual so you can torque everything properly. Especially a 125, where you have a lot of room to work, you can basically transfer over the suspension and then you can plop the motor in/electronics/subframe/airbox. Or pull the motor and put it in the new frame first and build around that.
Awesome! Thanks! Now I just need to find out if it will be easier getting the new frame for ownership or not.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 2:55pm
treefitti wrote:
I forgot to add, If I wanted to remove the engine and clean and polish it what parts are essential to remove and what can I...
I forgot to add, If I wanted to remove the engine and clean and polish it what parts are essential to remove and what can I leave together? Thanks!
You only need to take the right side outer case off to get a new shift shaft in there so since you wouldn't have to split cases you can keep the entire motor together to clean/polish it before or after doing your repair. Just disconnect the engine mounts, spark plug wire, ignition and unbolt the reed cage (plug/tape that hole so no crap gets into the bottom end).

The Shop

treefitti
1/21/2016 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 3:19pm
treefitti wrote:
I forgot to add, If I wanted to remove the engine and clean and polish it what parts are essential to remove and what can I...
seth505 wrote:
You only need to take the right side outer case off to get a new shift shaft in there so since you wouldn't have to split...
You only need to take the right side outer case off to get a new shift shaft in there so since you wouldn't have to split cases you can keep the entire motor together to clean/polish it before or after doing your repair. Just disconnect the engine mounts, spark plug wire, ignition and unbolt the reed cage (plug/tape that hole so no crap gets into the bottom end).
Thank you sir! That was actually a big help! Now I will google what a reed cage is haha! So the shift shaft is pretty easy? Remove cover, pull out, put new in? I also ordered a new seal as well.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 3:07pm
treefitti wrote:
seth505 wrote:
You only need to take the right side outer case off to get a new shift shaft in there so since you wouldn't have to split...
treefitti wrote:
Thank you sir! That was actually a big help! Now I will google what a reed cage is haha! So the shift shaft is pretty easy...
Thank you sir! That was actually a big help! Now I will google what a reed cage is haha! So the shift shaft is pretty easy? Remove cover, pull out, put new in? I also ordered a new seal as well.
Exactly.

1) drain the transmission oil
2) Remove old shifter on left side
3) remove right side engine case (outer)
4) slide out shifter shaft (be careful of any spacers, usually stuck on there with oil film)
5) replace seal on left side
6) slide in new shift shaft
7) reassemble rt side case (might need new gasket as well if the old one split, I'd recommend grabbing a new one)
8) add oil
mx5471
1/21/2016 3:14pm
You will never find a new frame for that bike. I have an 08 250, and couldn't find a frame anywhere until I called American Suzuki in CA. They said 10 were coming to the US. Go to a dealer and out in the order. I did. I got it. 2G. Just fix the bike and don't worry about the title. If you found a used frame with out a title, you're in the same place.
treefitti
1/21/2016 3:15pm
seth505 wrote:
Exactly. 1) drain the transmission oil 2) Remove old shifter on left side 3) remove right side engine case (outer) 4) slide out shifter shaft (be...
Exactly.

4) slide out shifter shaft (be careful of any spacers, usually stuck on there with oil film)
7) reassemble rt side case (might need new gasket as well if the old one split, I'd recommend grabbing a new one)
8) add oil
Thanks you have been a huge help! Last question. What is the gasket called? any specific name? and on these bikes there is motor oil and tranny oil? or one in the same? Thanks
RyanLester761
1/21/2016 3:17pm
I've acquired used bikes without titles. Many of them were off (California's) DMV records. I found a friend of a friend who handles title issues. She came over to verify all the numbers on the bike and then she went to DMV for me to turn it in. She is a licensed verifier, similar to a Highway Patrolman. Her company is called Registration Wizards. I use her all the time now. There may be someone local for you to use. She charged me $75 for her service... Well worth it! Good luck.

And it sounds like you'll be able to fix the engine easy enough. Cool
treefitti
1/21/2016 3:17pm
mx5471 wrote:
You will never find a new frame for that bike. I have an 08 250, and couldn't find a frame anywhere until I called American Suzuki...
You will never find a new frame for that bike. I have an 08 250, and couldn't find a frame anywhere until I called American Suzuki in CA. They said 10 were coming to the US. Go to a dealer and out in the order. I did. I got it. 2G. Just fix the bike and don't worry about the title. If you found a used frame with out a title, you're in the same place.
I looked on ebay and they have a few frames for my year with proof of ownership. Ranging in price from $75 to $200. I wasnt looking for a new new one just one with proof of ownership. I would love to say screw the title but I live in the city and every park around here requires you to be registered Sad
treefitti
1/21/2016 3:18pm
I've acquired used bikes without titles. Many of them were off (California's) DMV records. I found a friend of a friend who handles title issues. She...
I've acquired used bikes without titles. Many of them were off (California's) DMV records. I found a friend of a friend who handles title issues. She came over to verify all the numbers on the bike and then she went to DMV for me to turn it in. She is a licensed verifier, similar to a Highway Patrolman. Her company is called Registration Wizards. I use her all the time now. There may be someone local for you to use. She charged me $75 for her service... Well worth it! Good luck.

And it sounds like you'll be able to fix the engine easy enough. Cool
Thanks buddy! I will look into that as well!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 3:31pm
seth505 wrote:
Exactly. 1) drain the transmission oil 2) Remove old shifter on left side 3) remove right side engine case (outer) 4) slide out shifter shaft (be...
Exactly.

8) add oil
treefitti wrote:
Thanks you have been a huge help! Last question. What is the gasket called? any specific name? and on these bikes there is motor oil and...
Thanks you have been a huge help! Last question. What is the gasket called? any specific name? and on these bikes there is motor oil and tranny oil? or one in the same? Thanks
Here is the gasket I mentioned, you might want to verify that the motor is in fact a 2001, but if so it is this gasket. This is the gasket for the right side outer case, but not the small round clutch basket cover that has an o-ring.

GASKET, CLUTCH COVER part# 11482-36F00

As far as oil, the only oil you change is transmission oil. The engine uses premix (2stroke oil) that you mix in with the fuel. I personally tune my bikes to run synthetic oil at a ratio of 40:1
A ratio of 32:1 is common for these bikes as well.
treefitti
1/21/2016 3:48pm
seth505 wrote:
Here is the gasket I mentioned, you might want to verify that the motor is in fact a 2001, but if so it is this gasket...
Here is the gasket I mentioned, you might want to verify that the motor is in fact a 2001, but if so it is this gasket. This is the gasket for the right side outer case, but not the small round clutch basket cover that has an o-ring.

As far as oil, the only oil you change is transmission oil. The engine uses premix (2stroke oil) that you mix in with the fuel. I personally tune my bikes to run synthetic oil at a ratio of 40:1
Thanks!
treefitti
1/21/2016 3:50pm
seth505 wrote:
Here is the gasket I mentioned, you might want to verify that the motor is in fact a 2001, but if so it is this gasket...

So the oil plug in the bottom in not actually 2 stroke oil it's transmission fluid?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 5:13pm
seth505 wrote:

treefitti wrote:
So the oil plug in the bottom in not actually 2 stroke oil it's transmission fluid?
Right, most people use "change the transmission oil" and "change the engine oil" interchangeably with a 2stroke engine. It's really lubricating bearings/shafts/clutch plates.
treefitti
1/21/2016 5:27pm
seth505 wrote:
Right, most people use "change the transmission oil" and "change the engine oil" interchangeably with a 2stroke engine. It's really lubricating bearings/shafts/clutch plates.
Thanks seth! Which oil do you reccomend for my engine? Seems like you're the right man to talk toSmile Anything specific?
treefitti
1/21/2016 5:29pm
Do I have to remove the clutch basket etc to get to the shift shaft? Sorry for all the questions lol. Just want to do it right
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 6:01pm
seth505 wrote:
treefitti wrote:
Thanks seth! Which oil do you reccomend for my engine? Seems like you're the right man to talk toSmile Anything specific?
I had an 03 that I rebuilt from the ground up so I figured I should help you out if I could save you some time haha.

I use Amsoil 10w40 but any decent oil will do. I think it took just under a quart but you can find that easily online.

You won't need to remove the basket which is nice, the shift shaft will be in the rear bottom, looking at the bike from the right side.
treefitti
1/21/2016 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 4:58am
seth505 wrote:
I had an 03 that I rebuilt from the ground up so I figured I should help you out if I could save you some time...
I had an 03 that I rebuilt from the ground up so I figured I should help you out if I could save you some time haha.

I use Amsoil 10w40 but any decent oil will do. I think it took just under a quart but you can find that easily online.

You won't need to remove the basket which is nice, the shift shaft will be in the rear bottom, looking at the bike from the right side.
You're the man!!! Thanks. You saved me from ordering more parts haha cause I would have messed some up and then ordered new ones lol.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/21/2016 7:42pm
Right on, good luck man
treefitti
1/22/2016 4:58am
731chopper wrote:
treefitti, you sound very new to this which is perfectly fine but I think you'd do yourself a big favor by purchasing a service manual for...
treefitti, you sound very new to this which is perfectly fine but I think you'd do yourself a big favor by purchasing a service manual for the bike and reading through it. I searched on ebay for one and found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Suzuki-RM125-OEM-service-manual-/201502223…
Thanks! I actually just printed the whole manual online. Will be reading up on it.

Post a reply to: Weird question 01 rm125

The Latest