WP 48mm bladder pressure?

Micahdogg
I rebuilt the forks on a friends 2012 YZ250F and also on my 2011 250SX this past weekend. In each case, we didn't change the fluid in the closed chamber...mostly because I didn't have the correct tool for pulling them apart. But on my bike I didn't even have a needle to refill the bladder.

I did notice the damping on the YZ had about twice the resistance as my KTM (holding the cartridge in my hand and moving the rod about 1/3 way through the stroke). I'm wondering if that is just a function of the bladder vs. spring, or if maybe I've lost air pressure over the years. I don't intend to break my forks open again, but I wonder if I need to get a needle and at least check the air pressure. FWIW, the forks feel fine to me. It's got fresh bushings, skf seals and 5w maxima fluid - and no leaks, which is nice.
|
Micahdogg
9/22/2016 7:12am
Thanks for the tip. If I pick up a needle and end up losing pressure in the process of checking, and then pump it back up to 16/17 is that going to be a problem? Because the forks are all assembled right now.

Seems like a complicated process to airing them up and purging oil and I'm afraid if I fat finger the air gauge and zero out the bladder I might lose oil from the closed chamber.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
9/25/2016 9:32pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Thanks for the tip. If I pick up a needle and end up losing pressure in the process of checking, and then pump it back up...
Thanks for the tip. If I pick up a needle and end up losing pressure in the process of checking, and then pump it back up to 16/17 is that going to be a problem? Because the forks are all assembled right now.

Seems like a complicated process to airing them up and purging oil and I'm afraid if I fat finger the air gauge and zero out the bladder I might lose oil from the closed chamber.
No you'll be fine.

Post a reply to: WP 48mm bladder pressure?

The Latest