Tusk Hubs used with Bulldog Spokes?

WileCyot
Anyone ever use tusk hubs with Bulldog Spokes? Building a set of budget wheels for my 500AF. I can get tusks hubs, the pair, for $190 and plan to use DID ST-X rims.

Thoughts?
|
mxb2
8/22/2016 6:14pm
Buy some smpro hubs, good quality,decent price.
WileCyot
8/22/2016 6:16pm
mxb2 wrote:
Buy some smpro hubs, good quality,decent price.
Doesn't answer my question but thanks for the input.
Rider_122
8/22/2016 7:21pm
Have had friends with bad experiences with their bearings
WileCyot
8/22/2016 7:46pm
Rider_122 wrote:
Have had friends with bad experiences with their bearings
They're being replaced with ceramic. Again, it doesn't answer my question but thanks for the input.

The Shop

Rider_122
8/22/2016 7:50pm
WileCyot wrote:
They're being replaced with ceramic. Again, it doesn't answer my question but thanks for the input.
Sounds like you have the answer you want, buy them
WileCyot
8/22/2016 7:52pm
WileCyot wrote:
Rider_122 wrote:
I asked if bulldog spokes will work with these hubs. No one has answered that question. I don't have an answer. Thanks for input.
mxb2
8/22/2016 7:55pm
WileCyot wrote:
Rider_122 wrote:
WileCyot wrote:
I asked if bulldog spokes will work with these hubs. No one has answered that question. I don't have an answer. Thanks for input.
Did you contact tusk?
Rider_122
8/22/2016 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 7:57pm
WileCyot wrote:
Anyone ever use tusk hubs with Bulldog Spokes? Building a set of budget wheels for my 500AF. I can get tusks hubs, the pair, for $190...
Anyone ever use tusk hubs with Bulldog Spokes? Building a set of budget wheels for my 500AF. I can get tusks hubs, the pair, for $190 and plan to use DID ST-X rims.

Thoughts?
WileCyot wrote:

Thoughts?

Ok sorry, should have specified up here, ask if the combination works. Sounded as if you were questioning the tusk hubs in general
WileCyot
8/22/2016 7:58pm
WileCyot wrote:
Anyone ever use tusk hubs with Bulldog Spokes? Building a set of budget wheels for my 500AF. I can get tusks hubs, the pair, for $190...

Thoughts?
Rider_122 wrote:
WileCyot wrote: Anyone ever use tusk hubs with Bulldog Spokes? Building a set of budget wheels for my 500AF. I can get tusks hubs, the pair...
WileCyot wrote:

Thoughts?

Ok sorry, should have specified up here, ask if the combination works. Sounded as if you were questioning the tusk hubs in general
Good point, I can see how someone may have been confused. I'll call rocky Mountain atv tomorrow as tusk is their house brand. These hubs are all made in China same as DNA and others.
DuroTools
8/22/2016 11:40pm
I would say my guess would be yes but if you call you might not want to ask if they are compatible but rather research or ask what the diameters are of each. It's the nipples that range the most from my experience, the few hubs I have worked on all had larger holes so that they can accept a range of diameter spokes so another words the spokes didn't fill the hole on the hubs completely and they were 4 or 4.5mm spokes I believe. Be careful though Bulldog spokes show pictures of nipples and even the title might say set but I read a few pissed off reviews that said the nipples aren't included and I even asked two different vendors and they both verified that the DO NOT come with nipples. I had to go with pro wheels cause Tusk was on back-order till end of Sept., cost was about 70 bucks for Stainless with Steel Zinc coated nipples. Wish they were aluminum nipples though cause it added like 10 ounces to the already heavy wheel although the strength will be unmatched.
WileCyot
8/23/2016 3:56am
Nipple sizing will have no effect on the hubs. The sets I order come with spokes and nipples. That much I'm aware of. My biggest concern is that the location of the spoke holes in the hub are at a smaller diameter or larger diameter than the stock hubs and will require longer or shorter spokes respectively. I'll touch base with RMATV about the hubs and worst case order a pair and measure myself. Doesn't seem like anyone has done what I've done. I was going to reuse the oem hubs but after having the smoothed on a lathe and coated I could have purchased new hubs.
8/23/2016 8:20am
My Experience not sure if this helps or not but I called RMC as I broke a spoke in my Tusk hub and they confirmed that Honda OEM spoke would work in the Tusk hub and I can confirm it did work yes.

So if the Bulldog spoke works in a Stock honda OEM hub it will work in the Tusk.
DuroTools
8/23/2016 12:19pm
WileCyot wrote:
Nipple sizing will have no effect on the hubs. The sets I order come with spokes and nipples. That much I'm aware of. My biggest concern...
Nipple sizing will have no effect on the hubs. The sets I order come with spokes and nipples. That much I'm aware of. My biggest concern is that the location of the spoke holes in the hub are at a smaller diameter or larger diameter than the stock hubs and will require longer or shorter spokes respectively. I'll touch base with RMATV about the hubs and worst case order a pair and measure myself. Doesn't seem like anyone has done what I've done. I was going to reuse the oem hubs but after having the smoothed on a lathe and coated I could have purchased new hubs.
I didn't say nipple size will have an effect on the hub lol. I was saying that I would also keep in mind about nipple size on the rims cause nipple size can vary just as much or if not more than the spoke size!

The few wheels I have rebuilt using 2000 era stock hubs and aftermarket spokes there was always extra room in the hub holes so you should be OK but if you reuse the stock hubs and they are old like 90's era than they may be skinnier though because back then some spokes were not as big of diameter so they also had smaller diameter holes in the hubs.

If you are getting new Tusk hubs and new spokes since they are both modern they should be fine.

How much are you paying for the Bulldog spoke SET?
jpatz319
Fantasy
1145th
8/23/2016 12:34pm
I ran Tusk hubs with excel spokes mated to DID DirtStar rims. They fit but was tight, so all I did was take a drill bit and open them up a hair. Everything has been good besides that.
WileCyot
8/23/2016 5:19pm
jpatz319 wrote:
I ran Tusk hubs with excel spokes mated to DID DirtStar rims. They fit but was tight, so all I did was take a drill bit...
I ran Tusk hubs with excel spokes mated to DID DirtStar rims. They fit but was tight, so all I did was take a drill bit and open them up a hair. Everything has been good besides that.
Same plan except for Bulldogs. I get good pricing on Bulldog spokes ($86.25 for spokes and nipples).
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
8/23/2016 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 11:14pm
When the dust clears, what will you have into your tusk hubs with ceramic bearings, bulldog spokes and did rims ? Just curious what you consider "budget" wheels ?
WileCyot
8/24/2016 3:48am
Roughly $600 plus the cost of the ceramic wheel bearings. It would be roughly $650 if I use standard non ceramic bearings instead of the tusk ones. Regardless, essentially bulletproof wheels for little more than rocky Mountain sales their complete tusk set for. Of I decide to run A60s, and I likely won't, it'll only run me an additional 80 or so. I think I'm missing $20 worth of shipping in there and it definitely doesn't include my labor. Still a viable option regardless.
EEE299
8/25/2016 11:53am
Tusk stuff is interchangeable with stock, so if Bulldog spokes are too then you are good on that front. The only thing you have to worry about as stated is whether them pair with the STX rims but it seems someone posted a solution to that. I might do a set of wheels like this in the future.Cool
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
8/25/2016 12:07pm
WileCyot wrote:
Roughly $600 plus the cost of the ceramic wheel bearings. It would be roughly $650 if I use standard non ceramic bearings instead of the tusk...
Roughly $600 plus the cost of the ceramic wheel bearings. It would be roughly $650 if I use standard non ceramic bearings instead of the tusk ones. Regardless, essentially bulletproof wheels for little more than rocky Mountain sales their complete tusk set for. Of I decide to run A60s, and I likely won't, it'll only run me an additional 80 or so. I think I'm missing $20 worth of shipping in there and it definitely doesn't include my labor. Still a viable option regardless.
For about another $250 you can get American made billet hubs. Yeah it's another $250, but the quality is much better than the Chinese stuff. And they are guaranteed as long as you own them. Not to mention they will build the wheel set for that price. Choose your rims, spokes and nipples and the Ano colors are spot on. Not to mention you're buying a USA made product. I'm not sure what the facination is with these Tusk hubs, you get what you pay for most of the time
mxb2
8/25/2016 1:28pm
WileCyot wrote:
Roughly $600 plus the cost of the ceramic wheel bearings. It would be roughly $650 if I use standard non ceramic bearings instead of the tusk...
langhammx wrote:
For about another $250 you can get American made billet hubs. Yeah it's another $250, but the quality is much better than the Chinese stuff. And...
For about another $250 you can get American made billet hubs. Yeah it's another $250, but the quality is much better than the Chinese stuff. And they are guaranteed as long as you own them. Not to mention they will build the wheel set for that price. Choose your rims, spokes and nipples and the Ano colors are spot on. Not to mention you're buying a USA made product. I'm not sure what the facination is with these Tusk hubs, you get what you pay for most of the time
X2, get what ya pay for. In the long run, it will bite ya in the ass for buying low quality stuff.
WileCyot
8/25/2016 1:35pm
WileCyot wrote:
langhammx wrote:
For about another $250 you can get American made billet hubs. Yeah it's another $250, but the quality is much better than the Chinese stuff. And...
mxb2 wrote:
X2, get what ya pay for. In the long run, it will bite ya in the ass for buying low quality stuff.
Faster hubs it is lol I can get a pair for under 400.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
8/25/2016 1:47pm
WileCyot wrote:
Faster hubs it is lol I can get a pair for under 400.
Good call
You won't regret it, I've boughten many sets of wheels from Colin and never had a single issue. His shop is directly across the street from the KTM and Husky race shops. Since you get such great deals, I won't bother calling him, he usually hooks my friends up when buying from him. Wink good decision and you will appreciate the quality and also feel good about buying AMERICAN !! Cool
EEE299
8/26/2016 4:59am
If you have the money Faster Hubs obviously are better. With that said, as much as everyone doesn't like to hear this, tusk wheels are fine for most people who ride.
GregDVT
8/26/2016 3:00pm
Do people run after market wheels for the durability or for weight saving and better bearings? (obviously some run them for looks) Probably not the best thread to ask in but Most stock bikes come with such durable hardware already, so I am curious.
8/28/2016 7:26am
GregDVT wrote:
Do people run after market wheels for the durability or for weight saving and better bearings? (obviously some run them for looks) Probably not the best...
Do people run after market wheels for the durability or for weight saving and better bearings? (obviously some run them for looks) Probably not the best thread to ask in but Most stock bikes come with such durable hardware already, so I am curious.
Most do it for looks on a rebuild.

Post a reply to: Tusk Hubs used with Bulldog Spokes?

The Latest