To hone or not to hone (2 smoker)

3rdgearpinned
Hey guys, I was getting ready to throw in a new piston in my cr125 beater. Piston already looked good and the cylinder still had cross hatches. Not sure if it's that old in the first place but I wanted to put a new one in it to make sure. It's a 2000 so it's not a sleeve. Should I take it to get honed or let it rip. Cylinder has no marks in it at all. Bike ran great before tear down. Thanks.
|
7/26/2016 3:37am
Dont touch plated cylinders with anything unless they are worn. In that case, have it replated.

Clean it with WD-40 and lint free rags until the rags come out clean. Have it measured against your new piston with a dial bore gauge. It is nearly impossible to tell if the cylinder is out of spec with the naked eye.

The Shop

mxtech1
7/26/2016 7:51am
It could be just a bad picture, but it's looks to me like that cylinder needs some attention. Assuming it just needs cleaned up, I would have it re-plated and finished by a reputable company.

I can see that in several spots the ring has eliminated the cross-hatching. Even of the cross-hatching that remains, it looks like a poor job. Cross-hatching when done well should be a very tight and consistent pattern.
Bruneval
7/26/2016 10:43am
I learned this lesson the hard way. I once used a ball hone to remove a mild glaze, and it was too harsh and I ended up having to get the cylinder replated. If I were you, just clean it up with some WD40 and rags, possibly some scotchbrite. If you don't know the different types, this helps:

BobPA
7/26/2016 2:40pm
If it is just your "beater" scuff that bitch up with some scotch bright and run it. Then if she explodes make it a 134/144 ripper.
Beast666
7/26/2016 5:05pm
Sunnen has "ultra finishing" stones avaliable for honing plated cylinders and applications that use low tension rings. They are designed to produce a good cross hatch without removing material. One thing to note is if the plating flakes off during honing it is a sign that the cylinder is ready for failure.
mxandy963
7/26/2016 5:56pm
WD-40 and red scotch bright. But please clean those head studs. For all mankind.

Seriously, that cylinder looks fine. Good luck.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/26/2016 9:17pm
Dont touch plated cylinders with anything unless they are worn. In that case, have it replated. Clean it with WD-40 and lint free rags until the...
Dont touch plated cylinders with anything unless they are worn. In that case, have it replated.

Clean it with WD-40 and lint free rags until the rags come out clean. Have it measured against your new piston with a dial bore gauge. It is nearly impossible to tell if the cylinder is out of spec with the naked eye.
Nothing wrong with honing a plated cylinder, there is different sized pistons should you need it.

OP, I'd suggest you get that honed. Doesn't look terrible, but it could use some help.
CamP
7/27/2016 6:34am
De-glaze the cylinder with green scotchbrite and WD40. Follow up with soap and water. Remove the powervalve assembly first so that abrasive material doesn't get trapped in there.

Post a reply to: To hone or not to hone (2 smoker)

The Latest