Thoughts on lightened 4 stroke crankshaft

pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2015 10:40pm
I'm interested in this crankshaft on eBay. Supposedly it has been machined down to be lighter, and it appears this is true after comparing it to the stocker. Has anyone ever done this to their motor? Any adverse affects ? What did you like about it?

My bike is significantly modded already; PC cams & ported head, ISF transmission, hinson clutch, A-Kit shock. And now I see this on eBay and it has me interested. I'd just like to hear some opinions about it. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-kx250f-factory-race-crankshaft-/181659999676?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4bc79dbc&vxp=mtr
|
Jim Lahey
2/10/2015 6:50pm
Seems like a cool idea... I cant really think of any reason why it would harm anything other than reliability. Maybe the bike will stall easier? At $220 its not like a huge loss if it doesnt help anything
circus
2/12/2015 9:19am
It will have the feeling that it will rev more freely. Adverse effects is it will feel as though it has less torque, we ran ran lighter cranks on our Yamaha of Troy bikes, Ryan Morias hated it through the whoops, he felt like the bike didn't have enough torque to pull the bike through to the end of them. Talk to cranksworks in Arizona if you want to get serious about cranks, they will help you.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
2/12/2015 4:39pm
Thanks Circus, I'm not sure If it will work in my favor or not but I got it for $185 plus postage. I guess its essentially the opposite feeling of mounting a flywheel weight.
BobPA
2/12/2015 10:40pm
circus wrote:
It will have the feeling that it will rev more freely. Adverse effects is it will feel as though it has less torque, we ran ran...
It will have the feeling that it will rev more freely. Adverse effects is it will feel as though it has less torque, we ran ran lighter cranks on our Yamaha of Troy bikes, Ryan Morias hated it through the whoops, he felt like the bike didn't have enough torque to pull the bike through to the end of them. Talk to cranksworks in Arizona if you want to get serious about cranks, they will help you.
I second the recomendation of crank works. They helped my friend and I with some jet ski cranks, and we're very informative/knowledgeable and incredibly fair with their pricing.

Post a reply to: Thoughts on lightened 4 stroke crankshaft

The Latest