Thoughts on building a YZ 285 4T killer?

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 1/1/2015 8:55am
Right now I have an 06 CRF 450, it's a great bike and I've done well on it but I am put off by the cost and frequency of engine maintenance. I've spent the past week working on a friend's YZ 250, and more and more I have to wonder if an 06+ would be a viable way to make a reliable and affordable Vet class race bike, with the right mods.
Have no illusions, this isn't about building a top end rocket, I need it to perform similar to a four stroke. I don't want to fight a massive midrange punch, I want to roll it on through the corners and in the off-cambers. I need it to be forgiving when I screw up and when I get tired. Also part of the equation, my track here is slick and hard pack, so having a bike that can hook up is more important than one that can win a drag race. I'm a 42 year old Vet B rider, 158 lbs, BTW.
What I want:
- Similar to one in the article Jody did in XA, I would want to punch up the power. The 285 kit, a pipe, and reeds seem like a good start.
- Then try to mellow it out (9-12 oz flywheel weight?). Possibly taking a tooth or two off the rear sprocket to try and make the gears pull longer.

Has anyone else gone this route? I plan to ride my buddy's bike this weekend, but it's an 01 and I have no idea how good or bad the suspension might be. I'll try to get some lap times against my 450F just out of curiosity. Is this winter madness that I am even thinking about this?
|
Dragoo168
12/24/2014 10:51am
I would also be interested in hearing what you come up with. As far as comparable lap times, I wouldn't bother right now. I tried that when i had my 450, and the comfort level made for an uneven comparison. When i finally parked the 450, and stricktly rode the RM250, and had re-acclimated to the 2-stroke, my times were actually faster because I had reverted back to a more momentum-based riding style. Anyway, I look forward to hearing about it if you do the 285 set up!
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
12/24/2014 11:01am
Two strokes are not too kind on hard pack tracks with little traction. If your main objective is to achieve results, stick with the four stroke. Four strokes are inherently easier to ride fast in those conditions. With a two stroke, you'll be fighting with throttle control, braking, and clutching. The 450 has a huge advantage in those conditions. When is the last time you've rode a smoker?

I race a 2010 KX250F and I also have an 07 YZ250. The YZ is stock and while it's fun to ride in sand or loamy tracks, it is more physically and methodically challenging to ride. When I'm fatigued, the two stroke becomes a great chore to ride. On the 4t, i can get by fatigued because the bike is so much more forgiving. With that said, Im not a serious racer and I sometimes can't decide which bike to ride. But If I were looking for results, without a doubt I'd be riding the four stroke.

As far as maintenance frequency and cost, the YZ has cheaper and fewer wear parts but I don't find the four stroke to be substantially more expensive to maintain in my experience. As long as you don't experience a nightmare in the cylinder head, the cost of maintenance should be close to the same.

Personally, If I were you I'd look for a more modern 450 or maybe KTM 350. I actually owned an 06 CRF450 and it was a great bike. But they've come a long ways since then.
mark_swart
12/24/2014 11:15am
pCp 252 wrote:
Two strokes are not too kind on hard pack tracks with little traction. If your main objective is to achieve results, stick with the four stroke...
Two strokes are not too kind on hard pack tracks with little traction. If your main objective is to achieve results, stick with the four stroke. Four strokes are inherently easier to ride fast in those conditions. With a two stroke, you'll be fighting with throttle control, braking, and clutching. The 450 has a huge advantage in those conditions. When is the last time you've rode a smoker?

I race a 2010 KX250F and I also have an 07 YZ250. The YZ is stock and while it's fun to ride in sand or loamy tracks, it is more physically and methodically challenging to ride. When I'm fatigued, the two stroke becomes a great chore to ride. On the 4t, i can get by fatigued because the bike is so much more forgiving. With that said, Im not a serious racer and I sometimes can't decide which bike to ride. But If I were looking for results, without a doubt I'd be riding the four stroke.

As far as maintenance frequency and cost, the YZ has cheaper and fewer wear parts but I don't find the four stroke to be substantially more expensive to maintain in my experience. As long as you don't experience a nightmare in the cylinder head, the cost of maintenance should be close to the same.

Personally, If I were you I'd look for a more modern 450 or maybe KTM 350. I actually owned an 06 CRF450 and it was a great bike. But they've come a long ways since then.
Great points and thanks -- if I were in more sand/loam conditions, it might be an easier choice.

My 06 has been a great bike, but it's at the point where it is going to need some major maintenance fairly soon (cylinder/piston/new valves/head recut/misc, probably totaling around $1K in parts) if I want to keep racing it at this level and be confident in it.

There is an 08 YZ 250 on my local craigslist, with Athena 285 kit and FMF pipe, for $3K.

I last raced a 250 two stroke a year ago, but it was a 1994 KX 250. I dropped 8 seconds/lap when I went from that bike to my 450F on the exact same track. And that was before I got my CRF suspension worked.

Right now I have to be careful on budget as I'm getting close to military retirement and can't obligate funds for a newer bike. After I retire and get a "real job" a current bike will probably be feasible.

Yeah, this whole thing is probably just romance. After I ride the 250T this weekend it will probably sober me up on the idea!
kijen
12/24/2014 2:37pm
I have an 05 YZ250 with the Eddie Sanders 325 BBK.....pretty east to ride and lots you can do to them. I try riding my sons 13 RMZ450 and I just can't used to the weight and engine braking, I ride just for fun and few local races. Good luck on your retirement I just finished my 30.... a word of caution is your first year taxes...My son is a decent local B rider, he loves the power of the 450 but the weight and flick ability of the YZ..

The Shop

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/24/2014 3:49pm
I have a CRF450 and a 2006 YZ250. And I've ridden Kahuku before. Stick with a 450. Trust me. Or maybe even a 250F.
kawi448
12/24/2014 4:17pm
My buddy has a full mod 2011 YZ250 with a Eric Gorr 295 kit, ported, high compression head, along with a widened ratio Trans to fit, a rekluse clutch and every other bolt on(pipe,reeds, etc.)

I've ridden it a few times. It's not just a top end rocket, the whole powerband is just a ripper. It has a shit ton of bottom for a two stroke. There is not much of a hit, especially with the rekluse, it just hits at the very bottom and rips all the way up to the top. Especially with the widened Trans.

It's not much of a vet racer, more like a open class weapon. If you just want abundant power and torque it's there. It can definitely hold it's own with 450s. Plus it's super light obviously.

Straight up, if your looking for a super light 125 like bike that will rip your arms out of there sockets, this is your choice. It's like a turbo hayabusa vs a fast v8 muscle car.

Gotta say I love the bike. It sounds AMAZING.
mark_swart
12/24/2014 5:35pm
FGR01 wrote:
I have a CRF450 and a 2006 YZ250. And I've ridden Kahuku before. Stick with a 450. Trust me. Or maybe even a 250F.
Sounds like the voice of experience right there, thanks!

Yeah, the guy who normally wins our Masters (+40) class runs a 250F. He's a great rider, but part of it is the fact that a 250F cuts great lap times on that slick track.

Kawa448 that build sounds like definite overkill for what I'd want! Sounds great on a prepped, softer track though!

I think the punchline here is that rebuilding my CRF sounds like a better plan. Especially since I just got he suspension worked a few months ago by Factory Connection.
Bressler11
12/24/2014 6:10pm
FGR01 wrote:
mark_swart wrote:
Sounds like the voice of experience right there, thanks! Yeah, the guy who normally wins our Masters (+40) class runs a 250F. He's a great rider...
Sounds like the voice of experience right there, thanks!

Yeah, the guy who normally wins our Masters (+40) class runs a 250F. He's a great rider, but part of it is the fact that a 250F cuts great lap times on that slick track.

Kawa448 that build sounds like definite overkill for what I'd want! Sounds great on a prepped, softer track though!

I think the punchline here is that rebuilding my CRF sounds like a better plan. Especially since I just got he suspension worked a few months ago by Factory Connection.
Build a Cr 250 Af duh... Just kidding but I would buy and race whatever you are faster on through out the moto. I hope you understand what I am trying to say
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/25/2014 6:16am
8 seconds? Bullshit. I was there and timed you, it was more like 18 seconds bro!
Tuck812
12/25/2014 6:33am
Dragoo168 wrote:
I would also be interested in hearing what you come up with. As far as comparable lap times, I wouldn't bother right now. I tried that...
I would also be interested in hearing what you come up with. As far as comparable lap times, I wouldn't bother right now. I tried that when i had my 450, and the comfort level made for an uneven comparison. When i finally parked the 450, and stricktly rode the RM250, and had re-acclimated to the 2-stroke, my times were actually faster because I had reverted back to a more momentum-based riding style. Anyway, I look forward to hearing about it if you do the 285 set up!
I had a similar experience as I used the MDX labs phone app to track lap time between my 450, 250 and 125. I was 1 second faster on the 125 and 3 seconds on the 250 but I figured out I was tryng to ride my 450 like my two strokes.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
12/25/2014 8:10am
kawi448 wrote:
My buddy has a full mod 2011 YZ250 with a Eric Gorr 295 kit, ported, high compression head, along with a widened ratio Trans to fit...
My buddy has a full mod 2011 YZ250 with a Eric Gorr 295 kit, ported, high compression head, along with a widened ratio Trans to fit, a rekluse clutch and every other bolt on(pipe,reeds, etc.)

I've ridden it a few times. It's not just a top end rocket, the whole powerband is just a ripper. It has a shit ton of bottom for a two stroke. There is not much of a hit, especially with the rekluse, it just hits at the very bottom and rips all the way up to the top. Especially with the widened Trans.

It's not much of a vet racer, more like a open class weapon. If you just want abundant power and torque it's there. It can definitely hold it's own with 450s. Plus it's super light obviously.

Straight up, if your looking for a super light 125 like bike that will rip your arms out of there sockets, this is your choice. It's like a turbo hayabusa vs a fast v8 muscle car.

What did the widened trans consist of? Where do you get them?
pete24
12/25/2014 9:37am
i have a 12 yz 250 with a ESR 325 kit i can keep it in a higher gear longer which makes it easier to ride
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
12/25/2014 10:14am
kawi448 wrote:
My buddy has a full mod 2011 YZ250 with a Eric Gorr 295 kit, ported, high compression head, along with a widened ratio Trans to fit...

Joko wrote:
The trans from a WR400/426 fits. I think if you use 1st gear the cases need a bit of grinding for the gear to fit. There are several threads on ThumperTalk detailing how to put some, or all the WR gears in a YZ250.
mark_swart
12/25/2014 10:52am
Markee wrote:
8 seconds? Bullshit. I was there and timed you, it was more like 18 seconds bro!
LOL, gopro don't lie!

250 2T

450F

In all fairness to the two stroke, after a year of riding that track, I can tell that the conditions during the 450 ride actually would have had better traction. Either way, 8 seconds is a pretty big chunk, and that was on average, not just a good lap on the 450 compared to a bad one on the 250.

I hope to do some back-to-back comparisons this weekend.
kawi448
12/25/2014 12:03pm
kawi448 wrote:

Joko wrote:
The trans from a WR400/426 fits. I think if you use 1st gear the cases need a bit of grinding for the gear to fit. There...
The trans from a WR400/426 fits. I think if you use 1st gear the cases need a bit of grinding for the gear to fit. There are several threads on ThumperTalk detailing how to put some, or all the WR gears in a YZ250.
It's not a 400 trans, it's not that wide, just a little wider. It's definitely not WR, it's still geared for motocross. I don't know exactly what it is I'll ask him
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/25/2014 8:09pm
Markee wrote:
mark_swart wrote:
LOL, gopro don't lie! [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1kObGuoIc]250 2T[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbmPLb9cVo]450F[/url] In all fairness to the two stroke, after a year of riding that track, I can tell that the...
LOL, gopro don't lie!

250 2T

450F

In all fairness to the two stroke, after a year of riding that track, I can tell that the conditions during the 450 ride actually would have had better traction. Either way, 8 seconds is a pretty big chunk, and that was on average, not just a good lap on the 450 compared to a bad one on the 250.

I hope to do some back-to-back comparisons this weekend.
What I see in these videos is a track, conditions, and riding technique that all favor a 4-stroke.
mark_swart
12/25/2014 8:19pm
FGR01 wrote:
What I see in these videos is a track, conditions, and riding technique that all favor a 4-stroke.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out! Yes, I am pretty much sobered up on the idea of the 4T killer at this point. Guess I'll start planning on that new top end/head job for the 450F haha.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
12/25/2014 10:41pm
Joko wrote:
The trans from a WR400/426 fits. I think if you use 1st gear the cases need a bit of grinding for the gear to fit. There...
kawi448 wrote:
It's not a 400 trans, it's not that wide, just a little wider. It's definitely not WR, it's still geared for motocross. I don't know exactly...
It's not a 400 trans, it's not that wide, just a little wider. It's definitely not WR, it's still geared for motocross. I don't know exactly what it is I'll ask him
Some guys will just do the WR 3,4,5 and leave the 1,2 YZ gears. Makes it a bit broader, but without the granny low gears.
Eddie_E
12/26/2014 8:05am
pete24 wrote:
i have a 12 yz 250 with a ESR 325 kit i can keep it in a higher gear longer which makes it easier to ride
Pete, is that the 325 kit that uses a pressure/vacuum power valve? If so is it really smother than a stock YZ power valve?
holeshot413
Fantasy
1687th
12/28/2014 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2014 2:56pm
kawi448 wrote:

Joko wrote:
my 2005 Yamaha yz 250 has a Eric Gorr porting, power valve mod and head machining for 50 50 race gas. It absolutely rips, Im having fun, its competitive in the 50+ class I race. I also have and PC Pipe and silencer and 13 oz flywheel.

that is me in front of the gopro guy blue TLD gear
pete24
12/28/2014 7:20pm
pete24 wrote:
Eddie_E wrote:
Pete, is that the 325 kit that uses a pressure/vacuum power valve? If so is it really smother than a stock YZ power valve?
yup its smoother than stock, it is a pressure opperated unit, and it has a std kehin main jet screwed into the pressure chamber, you just go up in jet size to make pv open sooner or down to open later, it also has an adjustable, powervalve stop, so if you want all bottom no hit and no over rev you can make it only open pv a little, all these adjusments are less than ten minutes to do, i happy with the kit
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/31/2014 10:07am
Mark, I am also a +40 B rider and I own a 2006 YZ250. I love it far more than any 450 I've ever ridden (including a 2015 KXF450 I tried last weekend.)
However, as soon as you said things like "roll it on" and "slick hard pack" I knew the 450 is a better choice for you.
mark_swart
12/31/2014 1:07pm
Falcon wrote:
Mark, I am also a +40 B rider and I own a 2006 YZ250. I love it far more than any 450 I've ever ridden (including...
Mark, I am also a +40 B rider and I own a 2006 YZ250. I love it far more than any 450 I've ever ridden (including a 2015 KXF450 I tried last weekend.)
However, as soon as you said things like "roll it on" and "slick hard pack" I knew the 450 is a better choice for you.
Yep, I'm just going to accept reality for now. Rode a pretty decent (Gnarly pipe, RAD valve) 01 YZ 250 last weekend in back to back motos with my CRF 450. Best lap on the CRF was 2:13, best on the YZ was 2:16. Very respectable for a bike that wasn't set up for me and that I only had 20 minutes or so on before the moto, but my lap times toward the end of the motos were much slower and inconsistent compared to the 450F. As in 8-10 seconds off of the pace.

I still think revalved suspension and some common sense mods would get some of that back, but by that point I'm in quite a bit of change for something that still might or might not work better.

A few of my buddies rode it too, and every single one of us got off of it with big grins. There is no feeling like riding a two stroke, and if I wasn't racing, this would be a no-brainer in favor of premix.

holeshot413
Fantasy
1687th
1/1/2015 8:55am
Dont UNDER estimate the effect of a heavier flywheel makes on dry slippery condition. I put a 13 oz on my YZ 250 it was an amazing difference in the tractability. And NO There is no power loss.

Post a reply to: Thoughts on building a YZ 285 4T killer?

The Latest