The mysterious piston eating 250 YZ

Neek
Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 1:02am
Hello guys,

Back in November I found an interesting deal on a 250 YZ 07'. I went at seller's house to see the bike at good price, dude welcomed me dressed half gangsta half farmer, smoking weed... Probably a French cousin of the "Pro Works Bikes" seller from Craiglist...

Surprisingly, the bike was pretty clean but after a quick test ride, I noticed that rod/piston/cylinder were toasted from the weird sound the bike was doing. For sure, the bike was tired but still pretty fast. It has Doma silencer and suspension revolved.

We started to negociate price, a couple of minutes and a few joints later, the guy finally agreed to sell me the bike the price I wanted, which was pretty low considering hours of work and fresh parts the bike needed.

Here starts the story...

After a couple of ride in order to get used to the bike, I decided to restore it for 13' season.
While stripping down exhaust for reinflating it, I had a quick look inside exhaust transfer just to check piston and cylinder.

Ouch, as you can see, the poor boy was so old that it began to biodegrade....

I knew it was time to strip down engine for replacement of piston, rod, bearings, nikasil, etc...

I found a good deal on Ebay for a Wiseco crank kit, brand new cylinder with piston and gaskets so these old parts will soon join the Dead Parts room which is unfortunately way bigger than trophy room...

In the end, this bike will cost probably the same cost as a used 2007 250 YZ at normal price but good point is that I ll be sure of engine's health.

I heard bad things about Wiseco cranks, I have already purchased it, hope it won't blew the new motor.

However, I am still surprised that bike ran still pretty well since piston was nearly atomized and cylinder cracked.... Is it something usual on 250 zingers ?

I'll post updates about the bike, I eventually decided to take advantage of the situation to begin a rebuild project. I already put new wheel, swingarm and linkage bearings, fresh grips and ordered a Pro Circuit silencer. I am also questioning about realizing carbon fiber ignition cover.

Thanks for you time and reading my poor English, I know this project is not very creative but I wanted to share with the story with you and grab some good tips for my bike :-)
|
pete24
2/2/2013 11:48am
dont even think of putting that wiseco crank in that bike, return it or chalk up as a loss hot rods is better stock is best when the wiseco brakes it could ruin your cases that will not be good, the wiseco piston is ok to use
2/2/2013 12:09pm
Your English is very good!
Never seen a YZ do that before!
i had a 06 Yz 250. These bikes love stock everything, never ever had a problem with OEM parts.
Justin314
2/2/2013 1:06pm
That's crazy. YZs are pretty reliable bikes...I've never seen anything happen like that without serious neglect.

One thing that did catch my eye though. Unless the wheels/rotors were swapped out, the bike actually looks like it's an '08 or newer. Yamaha spec'd those rotors for the two-stroke starting in 2008. 2007 for the 4-strokes.
Neek
2/2/2013 1:28pm
Justin314 wrote:
That's crazy. YZs are pretty reliable bikes...I've never seen anything happen like that without serious neglect. One thing that did catch my eye though. Unless the...
That's crazy. YZs are pretty reliable bikes...I've never seen anything happen like that without serious neglect.

One thing that did catch my eye though. Unless the wheels/rotors were swapped out, the bike actually looks like it's an '08 or newer. Yamaha spec'd those rotors for the two-stroke starting in 2008. 2007 for the 4-strokes.
Thanks for replies.

The guy I bought the bike did not seem to be very meticulous. I sure he rode the bike on the road/woods without any maintenance in months. Anyway, I made a good deal on it.

I had the same reaction about rotors, but the very first owner of my bike had a newer YZ (08 or 09) he rode for races and used the '07 as a training bike. He switched wheels when he sold it.

It really sucks for that Wiseco crank, I'll measure it with micrometer to check if it is well balanced.

The Shop

pete24
2/2/2013 1:56pm
measuring the crank isnt going to stop it from breaking just dont use it,,,,,,,,,,,,i will say i told u so when it blows up
zookie
2/2/2013 2:43pm
pete24 wrote:
dont even think of putting that wiseco crank in that bike, return it or chalk up as a loss hot rods is better stock is best...
dont even think of putting that wiseco crank in that bike, return it or chalk up as a loss hot rods is better stock is best when the wiseco brakes it could ruin your cases that will not be good, the wiseco piston is ok to use
I AGREE! Do not use a Wiseco crank. I am 2 for 2 on Wiseco cranks failing spectacularly in less than 5 hours on my bikes.
slipdog
2/2/2013 3:45pm
I picked up an '06 yz over the summer from a reputable person and I pulled the head just to inspect before I ever started it.There were marks in the head and scratches in the bore, so I pulled the cylinder. I found the exact same thing except it was the back of the piston that was missing. I returned it to him the same week.
CamP
2/2/2013 6:40pm
Those Chinese Wiseco cranks are garbage. Use OEM engine parts if you want it to last.
Neek
2/3/2013 4:26am
You guys definitely make me consider about selling the Wiseco crank and putting a new EOM rod on my old stock crank.

I decided to wash my frame this morning, it was a lil bit dirty and I wanted to give him a fresh aspect.

Tried to brush it and then soda blast but result was not great so I used an phosphoric acid based cleaner originally destined to industry, I was quite amazed by the result. The aluminium frame is like brand new.

JW381
2/3/2013 6:14am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2013 6:15am
That sucks man, I'm actually going thru a similar process right now with my '04 CR (although I didn't get as smoking of a deal as you, I'm sure)

I'm glad I read your guys' posts about the Wiseco kit! I was considering buying the Wiseco complete kit if I found all my stuff to be broke or tore up. That woulda cost me huge. I'll try to stick with OEM or Hot Rods.

I have no clue how your piston could have ended up like that. I've had a bike totally seize up just from a fried ring and a little toastyness on my piston. That thing looks more like scrap than the inner workings of a dirtbike.
zookie
2/3/2013 9:31am
Neek, I would definitely sell the Wiseco crank. I have had great experiences with Hot Rod products in the past when I was a little 125 pilot and did bottom end rebuilds on a yearly basis.

Thanks to my experience with Wiseco cranks and the fact that I have a real person job now, I just sucked it up and spent the big bucks for a quality OEM crank.

I know that Yamaha cranks cost a fortune new (unlike Honda and Kawasaki). I would just close your eyes and not look at the price. Get the OEM crank and be happy for the future.
MOTODAD422
2/3/2013 10:33am
Why did you ride the bike if you already knew it was making unusual noises.
Neek
2/3/2013 12:39pm
MOTODAD422 wrote:
Why did you ride the bike if you already knew it was making unusual noises.
The bike was doing a weird sound for sure but nothing comparable as this one for instance :

That's why I took the risk to ride it for 1 hour divided in 2 rides.
I definitely think that cylinder was cracked and piston freshly broken when I purchased the bike. I am still wondering how the bike even started with a engine so damaged...

Thanks for replies guys.
bd
2/3/2013 12:43pm
SInce you have your bike in pieces, I would replace the bearings (swing arm, wheel, and linkage). When you finish, your bike will be better than new. Fresh engine, new bearings, fresh grease. Great bike.

Note: Run OEM crank
Neek
2/3/2013 12:55pm
bd wrote:
SInce you have your bike in pieces, I would replace the bearings (swing arm, wheel, and linkage). When you finish, your bike will be better than...
SInce you have your bike in pieces, I would replace the bearings (swing arm, wheel, and linkage). When you finish, your bike will be better than new. Fresh engine, new bearings, fresh grease. Great bike.

Note: Run OEM crank
Great minds think alike Bd ;-)

Swingarm and linkage bearings were in same condition as piston and cylinder. I replaced everything with Pivot Work bearings, easy to install, great quality, I have been sticking with this brand since my first scooter.

Wheels bearings are fine, just found this weekend a great deal at local store on a O'Ring Renthal complete chain kit, I bought it without even thinking if it was a good ratio. The transmission ratio 14x51, is it OK for the 250 YZ ?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
2/3/2013 1:55pm
You may have pieces of the piston in the pipe and/or silencer, it would be worth making sure that wasn't the case.
ianhendry46
2/3/2013 2:31pm
Neek wrote:
Great minds think alike Bd ;-) Swingarm and linkage bearings were in same condition as piston and cylinder. I replaced everything with Pivot Work bearings, easy...
Great minds think alike Bd ;-)

Swingarm and linkage bearings were in same condition as piston and cylinder. I replaced everything with Pivot Work bearings, easy to install, great quality, I have been sticking with this brand since my first scooter.

Wheels bearings are fine, just found this weekend a great deal at local store on a O'Ring Renthal complete chain kit, I bought it without even thinking if it was a good ratio. The transmission ratio 14x51, is it OK for the 250 YZ ?
I would go with 13/51 for the YZ 250.
Neek
2/4/2013 3:10am
I would go with 13/51 for the YZ 250.
Thanks a lot.

I essentially ride small tracks with short sections so 14/51 might be unfortunately too long :-(
I'll try it anyway.
lumpy790
2/4/2013 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2013 8:07am
I put a Wiseco crank in my 250 a couple years ago and have not had any problems with it.

Looks like that piston was in so long it started cracking (common if not replaced on schedule) and that cracked the cylinder
IceMan446
2/4/2013 9:36am
Run OEM, Yamaha is as reliable as they come, and you will be hard pressed to find better parts then OEM.

Like others have said, spend the extra dough now and save yourself later on.

Good luck man!
2/5/2013 4:21pm
Get Pro X Rod kit and rebuild OEM Crank, make sure they balance it after.
zookie
2/5/2013 6:15pm
Get Pro X Rod kit and rebuild OEM Crank, make sure they balance it after.
Funny, other than Wiseco the only other crank I have had fail after a miserably short time is a ProX part. Broke in half shortly after building the engine. Stock and Hot Rod I have never ever had a problem with.
Neek
2/9/2013 12:16pm
Finally got my fresh parts this morning !

I received the OEM brand new cylinder with piston kit. As you can see further back on picture, I have also received my Wiseco crank kit, I'm still considering selling it and putting a new rod in my old stock crank. I heard too much bad stories about it for taking the risk to blow everything after a couple of rides... On the other hand, a friend who is bike mechanic has installed lots of Wiseco cranks and rods reported me today that he never heard cases of failures...

I'll post rebuild updates as soon as I get my crankcases back from the shop. I decided to change all gear bearings for new ones. It will increase the bill but the motor will be like brand new after rebuild !
bd
2/9/2013 3:46pm
Neek.... can you buy race fuel in France? If so, I recommend race fuel of 100 or more octane.
Neek
2/10/2013 2:59am
I think I can directly buy octane 100 gas at the pump in France or Switzerland (I live a few minutes away from the boarder and I work in there too).

I'll try a few tanks to see if it works better, does it imply to tune jetting ?
victor16
2/11/2013 9:54pm
pete24 wrote:
dont even think of putting that wiseco crank in that bike, return it or chalk up as a loss hot rods is better stock is best...
OEM is the way to go. However, it may be pricey...I have used the hot rods crank and it was really good. never had a problem with it. DO not use Wiseco crank. they are not very reliable, so why to risk it.
bd
2/11/2013 10:09pm
Neek wrote:
I think I can directly buy octane 100 gas at the pump in France or Switzerland (I live a few minutes away from the boarder and...
I think I can directly buy octane 100 gas at the pump in France or Switzerland (I live a few minutes away from the boarder and I work in there too).

I'll try a few tanks to see if it works better, does it imply to tune jetting ?
The bike will ping (detonation) with pump gas. Jet carb and use 50pump/50race gas at minimum.
Neek
2/11/2013 11:33pm
In France, we can buy lead-free octane 98 or octane 95 directly at pump. It should be OK with that I think but I'll try race gas anyway.

Thanks for advise !
2/28/2013 3:43pm
Dont run the wisco crank, bad idea if you do, will cost you more in the long run when the crank shatters, ide run the oem parts
mx5471
2/28/2013 4:36pm
I would use an OEM Yamaha crank for sure. They are a good deal compared to a Suzuki crank, half the price. I won' t use anything Wiseco, or Athena. They're junk.

Post a reply to: The mysterious piston eating 250 YZ

The Latest