The College Build

samifan
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 1:35pm
Hello from northern Wisconsin! Im new to the VitalMX world as a contributor but I have loved following all the fresh builds over the last few years! I have raced motocross from the age of 5 and am now currently a junior in college. Lets just say that more then a few study nights have been derailed by these eye-candy filled pages of past and current machines, and I'm excited to hopefully add to the distractions Wink I just sold my last project, a 2006 KTM 250sxf (fun bike), and of course it didn't take long for me to find a new steed.

Out with the old...

And in with the new... Well technically used but still.

Being a college student, I've learned that money does not, in fact, grow on trees. Because of this I automatically ruled out 14's and new 13's but had my mind set on a KTM 250. Long drive and story short, I finally got this used Craigslist find home, a 2012 KTM 250sx, and decided that a snow day would be a good time to finally start my official build page here on Vital. I'm going to warn all of you right off the bat: if your looking for a no-expense spared, factory seal approved, brand new out-of-the-box build, this is definitely not your build. BUT, if you might be interested in eBay specials, creative money savers, red-green-it-but-show-up-at-the-race-looking-like-you-ride-dungeys-personal-250-smoker, then this page is probably right up your ally. Well lets get started...
|
samifan
2/22/2014 12:16am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2014 10:05am
After a 6 hour drive down to pick up this "low hours" beaut my first thought was that it was a lot rougher in person than in the pictures (this thing is the most photogenic bike I have ever owned Cool ). However after really inspecting it it turned out that the mechanical aspects were really solid. Everything's tight, runs strong, but it was raced and it showed by the beat up cosmetics. On a quick side note, to tell you the truth, everyone is always scared of picking up "raced" bikes but I have found that most of the time they are more cared and loved for then the average weekend joy rider's bike. Back to the story, the bike was just what I was looking for in a price range that I could afford so I somehow stuffed it into the back of grandpa's grand caravan (actually fit quite well and saved me a bunch in gas over my gasoline addicted truck), and headed back to Wisconsin...

First step in a bargain build? Buy a bike with a pipe, silencer, rims and suspension mods already on it Smile )

Next step was to remove the tattered old graphics to reveal what was underneath... tattered old plastic. Amazingly, it still looks fresh in these photos, they really are beaten and bruised from a hard racing life.

Will post more stuff as soon as I can, gotta hit the hay as I have a 5th grade basketball tournament to coach in the morning! Thanks for reading!

-Coach Sam
slipdog
2/22/2014 6:48am
Looking like a good time already, Coach!

Did you save this Pro-Action guy's life? Just for clarification, what do you mean by "free rebuilds for life"?
samifan
2/22/2014 7:42am
Ha, well I guess its not completely "free" Smile but I know my local pro action guy doesn't charge for the re valve if it already has pro action hardware in it. I'll still end up paying for replacement parts and labor but it saves me a bunch of $$ compared to getting them done from scratch. Hope that clarifies things!

The Shop

JM485
2/22/2014 8:24am
Looking good so far. I'm a freshman in college so I feel your pain with the budget! Hopefully once I graduate I can put a full rebuild on the list for my rm, I just don't have the time or funds to do it right now.
slipdog
2/22/2014 8:53am
samifan wrote:
Ha, well I guess its not completely "free" :) but I know my local pro action guy doesn't charge for the re valve if it already...
Ha, well I guess its not completely "free" Smile but I know my local pro action guy doesn't charge for the re valve if it already has pro action hardware in it. I'll still end up paying for replacement parts and labor but it saves me a bunch of $$ compared to getting them done from scratch. Hope that clarifies things!
Good deal, I'd hate for the PA guys to get a flood of angry customers expecting free work, lol!
mxtech1
2/23/2014 7:00am
samifan wrote:
Ha, well I guess its not completely "free" :) but I know my local pro action guy doesn't charge for the re valve if it already...
Usually this only applies to the original owner who paid for the initial re-valve.

You will likely pay close to full price on your first revalve (obviously you would keep some of the Pro Action internal hardware so you'll save some money there) and then after that you will get free labor IF you need to have the valves changed again. You still pay for shipping, oils, seals, and all other wear parts.

Most people think free suspension jobs for life after a revalve, but it's still rather expensive to have your suspension mantained by a race shop.
MOTO120
2/23/2014 7:46am
This sounds like it could be a cool thread…I will be following!
JW381
2/23/2014 9:57am
Sounds like we could be buds - college vitards, 2-strokes, coaching little kid basketball, poor haha what's your area of study?
2/23/2014 10:08am
looks like a sweet build! im in the same budget boat and it really sucks. looking foward to updates
samifan
2/23/2014 11:42pm
Hey guys had a busy weekend but got tomorrow free so expect some tear down pics! Got some of the stuff I know it needed ordered so should have some goodies in soon as well. Thanks for the clarification on the suspension, I guess I'll just have to see how much its going to run me when the time comes. @JW381 I'm actually majoring in sports management with a minor in coaching. Oh and if any of you guys got some cool inexpensive DIY ideas to add some flavor to the bike, let me know, I'm down to try just about anything!
Huckster
2/24/2014 3:08am
samifan wrote:
Hey guys had a busy weekend but got tomorrow free so expect some tear down pics! Got some of the stuff I know it needed ordered...
Hey guys had a busy weekend but got tomorrow free so expect some tear down pics! Got some of the stuff I know it needed ordered so should have some goodies in soon as well. Thanks for the clarification on the suspension, I guess I'll just have to see how much its going to run me when the time comes. @JW381 I'm actually majoring in sports management with a minor in coaching. Oh and if any of you guys got some cool inexpensive DIY ideas to add some flavor to the bike, let me know, I'm down to try just about anything!
Good luck with the build. Just curious what you plan to do with the Sport Management degree?
samifan
2/24/2014 8:08am
Thanks for asking Huckster, My goal is to get a position behind the scenes in one of the race teams. There is no highlighted schooling path for getting into this industry (other then becoming pro and then cycling back around after retirement), but coupled with my motorcycle mechanics training, the sports management program seems to offer the best chance for me to get there. So yeah, if the DeCosters and the Paytons of the world are reading this I'm about ready to start my internship Wink
Huckster
2/24/2014 8:12am
samifan wrote:
Thanks for asking Huckster, My goal is to get a position behind the scenes in one of the race teams. There is no highlighted schooling path...
Thanks for asking Huckster, My goal is to get a position behind the scenes in one of the race teams. There is no highlighted schooling path for getting into this industry (other then becoming pro and then cycling back around after retirement), but coupled with my motorcycle mechanics training, the sports management program seems to offer the best chance for me to get there. So yeah, if the DeCosters and the Paytons of the world are reading this I'm about ready to start my internship Wink
Glad to see you pursuing your dream. I have my masters in SM and worked in the industry for almost 10 years. Not my place to give you unsolicited advice but if you ever want some, shoot me a PM. Good luck with the build.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/24/2014 5:15pm
I'm a freshman in college with my own bike, I know how it is. Plus my job is terrible, suspension linkage bearings went out the other day, was going to take about 4-1/2 weeks to get the money, but I got lucky and had enough, just can't eat lunch for the next 2 weeks lol. Good luck on your build, ktm 250 is an awesome bike.
samifan
2/25/2014 12:14am
Hey guys,
I got the bike pretty much torn down today in the sub-zero temps of my garage, gotta love Wisconsin winters Pinch

For some reason I really enjoy detail cleaning my bikes, even though it usually entails me breaking my hand in three places to clean a hard to reach area that only I will ever know exists, so lucky for me this bike is pretty grimy up under everything.

I did come across some small issues while tearing her down. One was this small crack in the right lower subframe leg where it bolts to the frame. Before I go and dish out big money on a replacement I'm going to drop it off at my local welder guy and see what he can do with it. He has repaired numerous subframes for me in the past and always seems to enjoy helping us local racers out so I'll give it a shot.

And of course a used bike would not be complete without a well hidden leaky fork seal Smile

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/25/2014 12:26pm
While u r at it maybe u could just lower the subframe. A lot of riders do that. And SKF seals are great, expensive but great.
samifan
3/17/2014 7:25pm
Hello again,

Ok its been a while! Sorry for the wait, between school and a couple indoor riding opportunities that came up, I had to put the build on hold. These came in a couple weeks ago...

I decided to go with a Acerbis 2013/2014 complete plastics kit as it cheaply turned my cosmetically dated 2012 into the newest model. A stock orange rear fender came with the kit but I like the way the white one looks on the bike so I picked up a new one of those as well. The kit pretty much bolted right up, I had some issues with the left airbox cover fitting perfectly, but a little jimmying with a razor knife fixed that problem.

When I was researching what kind of engine oil to use I came across a lot of guys using Rotella T Heavy duty Deisel motor oil in their KTMs and decided to give it a shot. It was 12 bucks at Wal-mart for a 1 gal bottle, which was almost $5 cheaper than a single qt of what ktm recommends from my local bike shop.

I also picked up an hour meter off of Amazon for $12 with free shipping, we will see how long it lasts Wink

samifan
3/17/2014 9:00pm
Here is how she looks now, updated to the 2013/14 body work. I actually had a chance to hit a practice day at Cedar Lake Arena in New Richmond, WI over the weekend, so I threw the orange rear fender on it to keep the white one fresh.

As you may have noticed, I still have the old style front fender on it. I knew it wasn't going to bolt directly on but was hoping to come up with a way to mount it without going out and buying the $80 converter for a $20 fender. Anybody know of an inexpensive way to mount this baby?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/18/2014 12:52am
Hey it's super easy to mount that 13 fender. I'm going to put a new one on my bike tomorrow and will take photos. I had one on there by just drilling 4 holes next to the metal oem holes. I'm going to rethink a new plan because the number plate looks tilted.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/18/2014 9:04am
Hey, so after looking at everything again, I realized why I just drilled holes. There is no other way to keep the integrity on the front fender without making a new mount. I don't think it's worth making one to be honest. I rode for a good 4months and not 1 problem with drilling hole and using a nice big washer. Here are photos of a new fender and a drilled one.

samifan
3/18/2014 10:56pm
Just noticed your comment about cutting down the subframe, Zesiger 112, but I think I'm going to leave it stock height. Other than the fact that I have no clue how I would go about lowering it, I'm not sure it would be best suited for my height. Oh did I forget to mention that I am 6'7"? Yep a little above average in the motocross world Cool I did put a new pair of ProTaper Windham mid bars on that I got on sale at my local shop, was going between Windhams or RC Highs and the sale made my decision easy Smile Other then bars, I like everything else pretty much stock, no lowered pegs or tall seats for this giant!

Thank you yak651 and CarlinoJoe317 for the help! I decided to bite the bullet and drill holes in my pretty new fender, and I think it turned out very nice. Definitely better then spending big bucks on a conversion kit!

JW381
3/19/2014 10:43pm
samifan wrote:
Hey guys had a busy weekend but got tomorrow free so expect some tear down pics! Got some of the stuff I know it needed ordered...
Cool man, nice build. I don't know about you but I obviously don't get to ride too often, but having a sick bike in the garage helps Cool I'm a history major, my original plan was to teach, but there's a lotta hoops to jump thru so I'm going to get a marketing minor as a backup. Just having a degree will be great though, might not net us 6 figures, but it's better than hoping and praying for a managing positions at Wendy's.
DBerg
3/20/2014 7:06am
Nice man, I bought an 03 yz 125 for a grand a few years ago while I was in college and threw a few hundred bucks into it here and there. I graduated in December and I'm still on the same bike! Smile I planned on buying something new whenever I could land a 'big boy' job but now I'm thinking I'll just keep the bike and fix it up more instead. Have fun with it man!
samifan
4/10/2014 8:12pm
Well...

Here she is! I got the full graphics kit straight from KTM for just over $100 bucks. It's the enduro team package. I've never had a graphics kit go on as easy as this one, very high quality, I never had a single bubble or crease, plus it looks awesome in my opinion! The numbers I designed myself with Ai, had the local print shop print them out for cheap. I was originally going to go with the white back fender, but now I'm having second thoughts as I love the way it looks now. I think I'll run the orange for now.

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/11/2014 4:16am
Good job man! Looks sick

Post a reply to: The College Build

The Latest