Suspension bearings (RM125)

PRM31
Rebuilding a 2005 RM125, had planned on changing out all bearings. How difficult is removal of old and install of new? Are special, tools required for removal and install?

Actually, same questions for wheel bearings.
|
RussB
Fantasy
986th
6/29/2016 12:06am
It's a fairly easy job, usually just time consuming. All you need is a vice and a good socket set, place your linkage/shock/swing arm in the vice, place a large socket on one end (for the bearings to fall into) and use another socket, close to the size of the bearing at the other end and press the old bearings threw and out of the component. Use a similar technique to replace them.

The key is the be gentle and ensure when replacing bearings that you press them in square and make sure they are properly seated. Don't be afraid to go nuts with the grease too, a thick waterproof grease such as Motorex grease will save you having to replace them all again for a long time.

There are loads of good 'How To' videos about if you search YouTube or Transworld MX have some good ones.
PRM31
6/29/2016 4:07am
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
PRM31
7/12/2016 6:39am
All good info, appreciate it. I was able to remove all but two using sockets with a threaded rod, bolts and washers. Worked great. However, the two on the lower arm (cushion rod) I have a question about. Can they be pushed through just like the others, or do they have to each be pulled outward? Want to be sure before I try pushing harder. Is the inside of the front of the rod a single diameter tube, or does the inside narrow down between the two bearings?

Post a reply to: Suspension bearings (RM125)

The Latest