Some CRs For Sale

dogger315
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2016 1:11pm
Recently I experienced the "fun" of having a knee replaced. The even
better part is the doctor told me my other knee needs to be replaced
as well.

I kind of knew this was coming so I have already switched sports so to
speak. An artificial knee has a 10 to 15 year lifespan depending on use.
I'm going to do everything I can to extend that interval so this latest
news served to crystalize the fact I won't be riding, let alone racing
anymore.

As a result, I'm going to sell off some bikes I was going to keep.
The list includes:

1979 CR250R
1993 CR250R
2009 CR250R

In addition to these, I have a clone of my CR500 I was building for a
customer that has since backed out due to financial problems.

Some details on these bikes can be found in the various build and
restoration post I've submitted, and I will be happy to answer any
other questions. The 93 will be finished in the next month or so,
same with the CR500.

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I'm posting here and on some
other sites to give the Honda enthusiast a heads up before they actually
go on sale. I'll probably auction them off on EBay.
|
gharmon
4/25/2016 11:27am
Hey man sorry about the knees. But sooner or later it happens to lots of people doing just everyday stuff, I work on an ortho floor and see all walks of life getting new knee's and hips. I don't think you should give up on riding just cause of a knee replacement. I've seen lots of guys mention that they still ride with artificial knee's.

And lastly I thought 07 was Honda last year for a CR?
mxb2
4/25/2016 12:18pm
gharmon wrote:
Hey man sorry about the knees. But sooner or later it happens to lots of people doing just everyday stuff, I work on an ortho floor...
Hey man sorry about the knees. But sooner or later it happens to lots of people doing just everyday stuff, I work on an ortho floor and see all walks of life getting new knee's and hips. I don't think you should give up on riding just cause of a knee replacement. I've seen lots of guys mention that they still ride with artificial knee's.

Correct on the cr,09 was the last year carb crf250f dual pipes.
dogger315
4/25/2016 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 1:54pm
gharmon wrote:
Hey man sorry about the knees. But sooner or later it happens to lots of people doing just everyday stuff, I work on an ortho floor...

mxb2 wrote:
Correct on the cr,09 was the last year carb crf250f dual pipes.
I appreciate that and I know I could probably still ride. The point I was trying to make is things like running, jumping
and riding MX will cause the new knee to wear out (they actually come loose), much faster than pursuing more
sedate activities. My goal is to make these knees last as long as possible, that's why I switched sports to racing
cars.

Here's a picture of my current ride, you can see how it's easier on the knees:

As far as the last years for CR250s and 500s, the 08 and 09 aren't exactly run of the mill production bikes. I
guess I should have posted some pictures:

!979 CR250R Red Rocket:

The 93 is undergoing a restoration to showroom condition. Here are some pictures I took during
the process:

Picture of my 2008 CR500 which is the basis for the one I'm selling:

2009 CR250R:

The Shop

gharmon
4/25/2016 2:44pm
In 2012 I tore and replaced my left ACL (knee) then in August 2014 I broke an arm, 2 ribs and lacerated my spleen (some kid swapped out in front of me). That cost me 3.5 months of the bike. Then after going back to work for 3 weeks I had another bad crash (first time back on the bike), again it was someone else's fault. This gave me a shattered hip, more broke ribs, ruptured bladder from a ripped out external oblique muscle. Also took a foot peg thru my lower inside thigh. This one cost me 5 months out of work and I'm let with a permanent limp due to a nick in my sciatic nerve. So I feel your desire to stop riding. I sold mine and I am undecided if I'll ride again.

What's that old saying "with age comes a cage"!! I used to drag race back before I got into dirt bikes and to make it worse my neighbors have started back racing cars and they are trying to get me to get another car. It's tempting for sure. What kind of racing are you doing?

And those are some really nice bikes!!
dogger315
4/26/2016 3:17pm
Wow, gharmon, that's hard core. I've been torn up a few times and spent more days than I wanted in the hospital
from racing MX, it's the price of admission, but if I suffered as many big time injuries as you have over a short
period of time, I'm certain I would walk away.

Racing motorcycles was a good fit for me when I started. I'm kind of an adrenaline junky, not the extreme sport kind,
I just like going fast. I got hooked flying fighters in the Navy and when I got out I needed something to replace the
rush, so I got into superbike racing and MX. Racing cars is just the latest iteration as my body (and wife), said
enough.

I started the giant process of switching from bikes to cars a while back. It's been interesting to say the least. Almost
nothing I had would work. I had to trade in my trusty Tundra for a diesel Sierra 2500HD, my 15 and 20' Wells Cargo
Cycle Wagons for a custom 26' ATC auto hauler. A good size addition to my shop to make room for a lift, scales and
all the space I need for spares and to store the big ass trailer. And then there's the car, a Porsche 991 GT3 Cup. I
remember people talking about boats and airplanes being money pits, neither has anything on a race car.

I would like to work my way up to IMSA Cup, but that takes real serious money (sponsors), so I'm going to enjoy
PCA events and maybe even some NASA racing.

Motofinne, it's just a generic Porsche cup in a plain White wrapper.
ledger
4/26/2016 5:14pm
Dayum dogger, you've been around the block, a LOT !! I'd like to shake your hand, I envy and respect the few that have the capability and large gonads to fly the fighters, that's just effin cool !! I'm interested in your 79 CR, I think that bike holds the fountain of my youth, are you willing to share a $$ amount on the good ole WWW ? Smart move from bike's to car's, keep the knee in check and work that pedal. Oh, do race car driver's get foot pump ? Grinning
WileCyot
4/26/2016 6:57pm
I'm interested in the 2009 CR250R (I'm actually building one myself but this would accelerate things) as well as the 2008 CR500R clone. PM me pricing if you don't mind.
jeffro503
4/27/2016 12:32am
Dogger , I feel for you on the bad knee's thing. Not sure how long mine will hold out either.

I'm interested in what this pic here is all about. Would you mind giving out some details on this. I myself am a sim racer , with a full on race simulator at the house and I enjoy the hell out of it. "Real sims " , not the forza or Grid stuff. Sure would like to know more about what your driving , class and where you are running at.

Good luck on the sales too. That 2009 CR 250 made me have to re-check my bank account. Smile
dogger315
4/27/2016 10:42am
Thanks ledger. My military service seems like a lifetime ago. I resigned my commission a few years
after Desert Storm.

That Red Rocket is special to me too. Honda has produced a few iconic models over the years, the
78/79 CR250s are one of them.

I'll PM you with pricing and some details.

WileC, I'll PM you with pricing and info on both. By the way, I like your screen name. Check out the back
of my helmet:

jaredtebo, Info and pricing on the 09 coming your way.

SeaClass, my kids are the opposite of gearheads - funny how that works.

jeffro, not sure which picture you're talking about since I don't see one in your post, but I'm guessing you're
asking about the race car picture. The car is a Porsche GT3 Cup. These cars are built by Porsche
Motorsports and sold to individuals to race. I don't want to load up this thread with auto racing talk, so
I'll PM you with more info.

dogger315
4/28/2016 9:00am
Please email pics n price for the 09 cr250
Don't see a link to PM you. Could you PM me with your email?
newmann
4/28/2016 9:47am
Beautiful bikes Dogger, that 79 has always gotten me amped up every time I see it. Congrats on the car, the details on that interior shot are nothing less than what I would expect to see on any of your builds. Simply amazing.
Dtat720
4/28/2016 10:08am
If you need any tips or anything on PCA cars, i do work with Huskamp Racing, several things with PCA cars, hollow axles, hubs, etc. Chris is THE man when it comes to those set ups. We have worked together on several projects from Brian Hertas Indy cars to some Penske nascar stuff. He was lead engineer for McLaren Mercedes for a while before he started his own thing here.
dogger315
4/28/2016 11:09am
Thanks newmann, that's one of the bikes I have mixed emotion about selling. If this new venture wasn't eating a
hole in my pocket, I'd probably keep it.

Sounds good Dtat. I certainly didn't expect to find any PCA types on here. You just never know where you're
going to make connections.
Dtat720
4/28/2016 4:36pm
Sure thing. I did a lot with Eurasia in the early 2000's for their program. Lots and lots of turbo builds lol. That was an epic time. We would rent Talledaga for a day and test and tune all day. 200+ in 996's and A-Specs, no better feeling.. Then i had kids. You will probably run across my godfather, Boo Noble, he drives a black A-Spec with multi color polka dots on it. Fast car, amazing handling.
Kenman
4/28/2016 5:11pm
Could you send me a msg regarding both the 09' and 93'
WileCyot
4/28/2016 5:15pm
Sounds like I need i network with you guys. I'm a mechanical engineer that was laid off recently thanks to low oil prices. Where would be a good place for a young (27) engineer to start a career in racing? Im not looking to drive or anything of that nature but I would like to be of service. I'm not looking to do it for the money either. I just want to be a part of something awesome. The money got me into oil and gas. Poor decision. I never loved it. I loved my hobbies.

Post a reply to: Some CRs For Sale

The Latest