Showa Shock - 2005 RM 250

Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
It's my first time attempting a shock rebuild and I'm learning as I go here. I've been trying to follow my service manual as closely as possible.

I'm trying to disassemble the shock, but I can't remove the damper rod assembly from the shock body. I pushed the seal case down as instructed which revealed the circlip. After removing that, the rod assembly should pull out, right? I'm twisting and pulling it but it's not coming out. Almost seems like there's another circlip stopping it or something. I don't know...am I missing something? Thanks.

|
slipdog
8/22/2016 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 8:41pm
There's no other clip, try some heat with a torch or heat gun to relax the body a little. Sometimes they're tough, clamp the body in a vice with some soft jaws so you can pull on the clevis with some leverage.

On a side note, why does it look like there is no dust deal on that seal head?
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
8/22/2016 9:02pm
slipdog wrote:
There's no other clip, try some heat with a torch or heat gun to relax the body a little. Sometimes they're tough, clamp the body in...
There's no other clip, try some heat with a torch or heat gun to relax the body a little. Sometimes they're tough, clamp the body in a vice with some soft jaws so you can pull on the clevis with some leverage.

On a side note, why does it look like there is no dust deal on that seal head?
It's there. It's pushed up against the cap out of view. Thanks for the tip.
stevo450
8/22/2016 9:24pm
They can be hard to remove... Use a large screwdriver through the upper shock bearing and stand on that and tug on the shock clevis...just be careful when it finally releases it'll pop out and spray out oil... So just use a cloth over the opening to capture the oil...

This is how I do it now when I disassemble the shock... Otherwise I get oil everywhere lol
stevo450
8/22/2016 9:25pm
Just remember the valve stack might be causing a vacuum....

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
8/23/2016 3:44am
The o-ring on the shock seal head is the problem. It is getting hung up on the same recess that the circlip sits in normally. Might try pushing the shaft assembly back in a bit and putting some grease on that recess to make it easier to pop out.
adam8781
8/23/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 9:26am
The o-ring on the shock seal head is the problem. It is getting hung up on the same recess that the circlip sits in normally. Might...
The o-ring on the shock seal head is the problem. It is getting hung up on the same recess that the circlip sits in normally. Might try pushing the shaft assembly back in a bit and putting some grease on that recess to make it easier to pop out.

the showa shock is the only one i know of that uses an o ring on the piston vs the piston band of all other shocks. its a stupid design, it creates excess drag and fails easily. i have have had to pound showa shocks apart on more than one occasion

Use force toget it apart, and plan on upgrading the piston. I work at pro action western canada and every showa shock that comes through with those orings get replaced with a updated piston.

Bruce372
8/23/2016 8:46pm
adam8781 wrote:
the showa shock is the only one i know of that uses an o ring on the piston vs the piston band of all other shocks...

the showa shock is the only one i know of that uses an o ring on the piston vs the piston band of all other shocks. its a stupid design, it creates excess drag and fails easily. i have have had to pound showa shocks apart on more than one occasion

Use force toget it apart, and plan on upgrading the piston. I work at pro action western canada and every showa shock that comes through with those orings get replaced with a updated piston.

I would have thought someone that works at a suspension shop would know that the rubber piston bands or x rings didn't come on bikes until 2010-2011. When using the x ring piston there is a special tool needed to get the assembly out without wrecking that piston seal. Lots of people complain about friction, but they don't understand the design.

As for the 2005 rm250, it's a regular piston band and just needs a little warmth on the shock body and a good yank to get it apart.....just be careful you don't knock your teeth out when it comes loose
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
8/23/2016 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 10:04pm
Thanks for the help guys. I got some good leverage on it and was able to yank it out.

Now as far as removing the piston assembly from the shaft, I know the nut has to be removed. I understand that it is peened so can I just do what I see people on Youtube doing and just use a bench grinder?
Bruce372
8/23/2016 10:25pm
Big no on the bench grinder. You have to use a file on the show a since if you just take off the end, the rebound needle will.come out.

I use a 14mm hole saw on the showa in a drill, just needs 1 secs
adam8781
8/23/2016 11:31pm
ill do 10 showa shocks a day, not sure what year they started. just remember 9x out of 10 the showas are very difficult toget apart due to the o ring on the piston always sticks. I work there i dont run it, i dont know it all! lol.

Post a reply to: Showa Shock - 2005 RM 250

The Latest