Running 2 Master Links?

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 5:06pm
I was installing a new chain on my sons KX Supermini and cut the chain too short.

This is the first time I have done this and I was thinking about runnig 2 master links. The chain is a Mika Metals with the Press on links. I have read where offroad riders do this all the time so they can change gearing without the need for multiple chains.

Opinions/Suggestions?

Thanks!
|
5/3/2016 7:26am
press on links not clip on?

I have heard of it done before but have never don't it.
not sure what the best option would be run the two master links together or split the chain and put them opposite each other.

are you thinking of using your old master link and the new one that came with the chain?

when it comes to the kids I don't compromise, now myself hell id build a whole chain out of master links just to see how hard I would crash lol
sesker15
5/3/2016 7:27am

I'm guilty of this. I have done this and have had no problems. I dk if I would recommend doing it! But it has work for me.
HackMan162
5/3/2016 7:47am
Honestly, in 40 years of riding moto, I have NEVER had a master link fail. So I wouldnt hesitate to run it. That said, I do stay on top of my chain/sprocket maintenance intervals.
brocsdad
5/3/2016 8:53am
press on links not clip on? I have heard of it done before but have never don't it. not sure what the best option would be...
press on links not clip on?

I have heard of it done before but have never don't it.
not sure what the best option would be run the two master links together or split the chain and put them opposite each other.

are you thinking of using your old master link and the new one that came with the chain?

when it comes to the kids I don't compromise, now myself hell id build a whole chain out of master links just to see how hard I would crash lol
The Mika Metal chains require a tool to press the link and you then install the clip. They have a very tight tolerance to keep wear to a minimum.

Both links are brand new.

I normally replace the chains around 20-25 hours to keep everything fresh,

The Shop

Pirate421
5/3/2016 8:54am
Interested in this too I have a chain that I cut and is not too short but I would like to get the axle blocks a little farther back and have plenty of spare master links. Never thought of that
brocsdad
5/3/2016 10:01am
Make sure to use new master links.
mxjeff575
5/3/2016 5:06pm
I too, in 35 years of riding have never had a master link failure. I have run 2 master links before for this exact issue (cut chain too short). No problem. Keep proper chain adjustment and you will be fine.

Post a reply to: Running 2 Master Links?

The Latest