Finished (for now) Rm 125 enduro build!

1/18/2016 8:34pm
The flow plastics would look sweet on a black frame, only issue is the tank wouldn't match...
psr racing wrote:
I'm running an oversized clear tank! I have considered using the flo rmz front fender and number plate as used on roczens bike but it's only...
I'm running an oversized clear tank! I have considered using the flo rmz front fender and number plate as used on roczens bike but it's only available as a full rmz kit so I'd be left with rad shrouds, number plates and a rear fender that don't fit... Unless I fabricate an rmz subframe on to the bikeEvil
Of course it's only available in the full kit... I'm a big fan of the color up front, black in the back like your other bike... What are your plans for wheels and a seat cover?
1/18/2016 8:45pm
Of course it's only available in the full kit... I'm a big fan of the color up front, black in the back like your other bike...
Of course it's only available in the full kit... I'm a big fan of the color up front, black in the back like your other bike... What are your plans for wheels and a seat cover?
I'll be running either a black or blue gripper or pleated seat! I've got black excel rims and stock hubs being powder coated in metallic blue.
Spydee
1/19/2016 12:18am
Ktm raptor ti foot pegs fit on rm 2 stroke model. Guy cooper did up an awesome suzuki rm 250 with a set of the ktm...
Ktm raptor ti foot pegs fit on rm 2 stroke model. Guy cooper did up an awesome suzuki rm 250 with a set of the ktm raptor ti foot pegs
psr racing wrote:
That's good to know! I rang raptor and asked the question and they were certain they wouldn't fit.. I'm guessing with a few small mods they...
That's good to know! I rang raptor and asked the question and they were certain they wouldn't fit.. I'm guessing with a few small mods they will?
http://m.vitalmx.com/features/Bike-of-the-Month-Digby-Coopers-2008-RM250-Carmichael-Replica,3830 Hit up cooper and ask him what ktm model of raptor foot pegs he ran. They will work. Then let me know what model it...
http://m.vitalmx.com/features/Bike-of-the-Month-Digby-Coopers-2008-RM25…

Hit up cooper and ask him what ktm model of raptor foot pegs he ran. They will work. Then let me know what model it is after you buy them because I want to buy them too haha!
1/19/2016 5:07am
Of course it's only available in the full kit... I'm a big fan of the color up front, black in the back like your other bike...
psr racing wrote:
I'll be running either a black or blue gripper or pleated seat! I've got black excel rims and stock hubs being powder coated in metallic blue.
In that case, all yellow plastics with the retro rm graphics with the blue rm logo imo

The Shop

1/19/2016 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2016 12:59pm
the perks of owning a sign company are that I can stay on late and design and produce graphics for my bikes! I decided on a simple design to keep it looking pretty subtle! In quite pleased with the rads and hopefully when the whole kit is finished and on the bike it should give me the look I want!
2/2/2016 3:24pm
It's been a while since I last updated this build! I have most of the parts to finish the build now and hope to complete it in around a week!!
A used transmission arrived in the mail last week and much to my surprise it's in really good condition so I can now build a good transmission from the 2 units! The suspension is at my suspension tuners being rebuilt and revalved as when I stripped one of the forks I found a leaking inner cartridge seal, rather than attempt it myself this time I decided to send both forks and shock for a rebuild as I hope to have the bike finished in a week and have plenty of other things to do to it!
The case guard and bash plate are now finished and mounts have been welded to the frame which is due back from powder coating any day,
The sump guard and case saver are made from 6mm ally which is super strong to deal with any large rocks or tree stumps... The downside to them being so strong is the added weight so ive been busy with the hole saw removing as much material from them as possible without affecting the strength!

mattman631
2/4/2016 8:52am
The case/sump guards are legit. Im assuming those are custom built? Thats a great idea i need to do that myself.
2/4/2016 11:23am
Mattman yes I cut the ally plate myself with a jigsaw after making a template out of cardboard. I had to get my engineer to bend the plate in a press as it was to tough to shape in a folder. I've since drilled them to remove as much weight as possible but my main aim here was the strength rather than weight as they will be hitting big rocks and logs etc on enduros
Spydee
2/4/2016 12:10pm
Nice touch! When will we see her dressed in plastics? Those shrouds with the graphics look sweet.
2/4/2016 1:58pm
Well the engine should be back together by Sunday! Finished blueprinting the cases, cylinder and intake tonight.
The frame should be back on Monday then I can make some progress on building it back up. I'm hoping it should be near enough done by the middle of next week in time to run it in and get it set up on the dyno ready for a 4hr hare and hound enduro next weekend!!
2/5/2016 10:09am
I've already been at the cases with a scotchbrite! Will post some pics when it's back together!
Just waiting on 1 bearing to arrive then I can get the cases together!
I managed to buy all new bearings for the whole bottom end apart from the 2 bearings on the output shaft which I can only find as genuine Suzuki parts due to them being narrower than a standard bearing! Total cost for every bearing except those was £60 so well worth changing as security. If anyone needs the bearing codes to buy from a bearing supplier rather than Suzuki I can send you the bearing part numbers
2/7/2016 3:49pm
Just a little update! The last bearing for the transmission will be here tomorrow then the motor will be back together! The frame is also back tomorrow so I can make some good progress in the next couple of days. It's booked in for a dyno session on Saturday to make sure it's all jetted right for Sunday's 4 hour h&h and then we can make some decisions on what further tuning we can do.
While waiting for the last few parts I did a little mod to the clutch case... I stripped the factory paint and cleaned it up then left it to soak in vinegar to give it a darker factory bike finish.. I then made a vinyl decal and applied as a template and hit it with a scotch brite pad...

Here's the cover after!! I think I'll spray it with some clear coat to try and help it stay this way for a while although I know it will eventually rub off

Trav138
2/7/2016 7:49pm
Hey guys just so you know but you can get the Raptor pegs for Suzuki 2 strokes. Just contact Raptor directly, and they will make them. They take a KTM peg and laser etch Suzuki 2t into them as they are the same peg.
Just wanted to add this in case someone reads this later and wanted to get these awesome pegs for a RM.
2/7/2016 9:37pm
Trav138 wrote:
Hey guys just so you know but you can get the Raptor pegs for Suzuki 2 strokes. Just contact Raptor directly, and they will make them...
Hey guys just so you know but you can get the Raptor pegs for Suzuki 2 strokes. Just contact Raptor directly, and they will make them. They take a KTM peg and laser etch Suzuki 2t into them as they are the same peg.
Just wanted to add this in case someone reads this later and wanted to get these awesome pegs for a RM.
Thanks!
2/9/2016 5:19am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 8:33pm
Picking up the frame and hubs from powdercoat today! The engine is near enough back together! While waiting for the parts I experimented with trying to bring some life back to the seat foam. First I removed some foam from the underside with a hole saw just to remove as much weight as possible high up on the bike. After I tore the bike down I left the foam near a heater for a week or 2 to dry out and then I painted on a mixture of pva glue and water to firm it up again and also to seal it to try and prevent it soaking up any moisture in the future. It turned out really well
2/9/2016 8:03pm
Made some really good progress tonight now the frame etc is back! The bike is pretty much back together, just waiting to collect the suspension tomorrow and one more delivery of parts (air filter, grips, brake pads, the remainder of the plastics) just trying to decide on what gearing to try first, I'm thinking of dropping down to a 12 tooth front sprocket and a 49/50 rear, I've found on my 08 bike on enduros that with 13-51 gearing first is to high for some rocky climbs and I barely use 6th so might be worth gearing it really low so I can ride a gear higher and have a useable 1st gear without the bike bogging. Guess it's a case of try it and see.
Anyway here's some pictures from today's progress
Frame is semi gloss black and the hubs and shock spring are a metallic candy blue with a purple tint... Pictures don't do it justice!!

Spydee
2/9/2016 11:54pm
Dude please invest in a new seat foam lol
2/11/2016 10:32am
A few finishing touches left to do... New throttle tube and grips and waiting for a new ignition cover but here she is ready to dyno on Saturday....

Cancerman
2/11/2016 11:24pm
If you can find one, add the 5oz flywheel weight. I have one on mine, it's the bee's knees. No down side. Great job, bet you had a good time building it up.
2/15/2016 6:02am
Over the weekend I got the bike over to the dyno to make sure the jetting was in the right area and after a bit of minor adjustment with the powervalve setting we got a nice power curve and a reading of just over 32 Hp which is a good reading for a stock motor (my 08 MX race bike makes 37 Hp at the wheel) I was happy enough with that. On Sunday I had my first outing with the bike.. A 4hr hare and hounds enduro and the bike performed really well apart from ongoing clutch issues. The bike will not start in gear until the transmission is really warm and I get a lot of drag and a poor feel at the bars. I've decided to install a new basket, hub and pressure plate over the next month and a new clutch pull arm. I experienced similar issues with my 08 bike until I went to a full Hinson setup so hopefully I can get round the issue as its a major advantage to start in gear on a dead engine start. I will also try running atf in the transmission and see if this helps

Kawisrok
2/15/2016 12:25pm
What happened to the wheels you built? Oh, bike looks great btw!
Spydee
2/15/2016 12:46pm
Can't fault you on the number choice dude Wink
2/15/2016 3:26pm
Kawisrok wrote:
What happened to the wheels you built? Oh, bike looks great btw!
This event was open to any tyres so I used my spare wheels with MX tyres, I'm saving the 18" rear and new front I built for the first championship round where we have to run a trials rear tyre
2/15/2016 3:29pm
Spydee wrote:
Can't fault you on the number choice dude Wink
Haha I didn't choose that number! I normally use 143 but I've been given that number which I hope I can keep for the series!
Finished 7th out of a group of 35+ at the weekend so was happy enough with a bike I hadn't ridden before and only raced once in the past 2 years! Time to get some hours on her practicing now
2/15/2016 4:19pm
psr racing wrote:
Over the weekend I got the bike over to the dyno to make sure the jetting was in the right area and after a bit of...
Over the weekend I got the bike over to the dyno to make sure the jetting was in the right area and after a bit of minor adjustment with the powervalve setting we got a nice power curve and a reading of just over 32 Hp which is a good reading for a stock motor (my 08 MX race bike makes 37 Hp at the wheel) I was happy enough with that. On Sunday I had my first outing with the bike.. A 4hr hare and hounds enduro and the bike performed really well apart from ongoing clutch issues. The bike will not start in gear until the transmission is really warm and I get a lot of drag and a poor feel at the bars. I've decided to install a new basket, hub and pressure plate over the next month and a new clutch pull arm. I experienced similar issues with my 08 bike until I went to a full Hinson setup so hopefully I can get round the issue as its a major advantage to start in gear on a dead engine start. I will also try running atf in the transmission and see if this helps

Problem is they don't offer a full hinson clutch unit for the rm 125 anymore. I'm lucky and I bought one before they were discontinued. They only offer the basket, clutch plates, and clutch springs now. I run oem clutch plates in my full hinson clutch unit as opposed to hinson clutch plates.

Post a reply to: Finished (for now) Rm 125 enduro build!

The Latest