Rm 125 Rescue & Restore (Finished with Pics)

K-dubbb
11/21/2014 11:57am
My man! Now when dudes ask me where my Yoshi pipes are I'll just point at my bling overpriced steering nut!

In all seriousness, I think I am gonna order this kit, and frankly I don't care what people think or say it's my bike and I am gonna do what I want! Tongue

I am saving my next update for when all my stuff returns from powder coat, things are about to get interesting Smile
K-dubbb
12/1/2014 5:27am
Hey guys, long time no post.

So I have been mostly waiting for the items below to return from powdercoat, which should be early this week so really looking forward to how these items are going to turn out.

I geared up my bench grinder to have both the wire and buffing wheel, which is super helpful since there is so much spray paint! The buffing wheel is gonna come in handy for when I get to the exhaust.

Does anyone know where I can get new hose for this line up to the reservoir?

Before:

After:

I am putting through 3 seperate online orders today, so a lot of parts will be arriving over the next few weeks. Merry early Christmas to me Tongue

Super excited!
K-dubbb
12/8/2014 6:42am
Very productive weekend, got my frame and swing arm back, plus did up some other small parts.

Majority of my parts will be back this week so next weekend I hope to have a rolling chassis.

I come from lengthy mountain bike background so I am kind of approaching this build, as I would with my bike builds. I want the rolling chassis perfect before I move onto the power plant. Getting there and I am fired up!

slackinoff
12/8/2014 7:58am
Wow! Those parts look great K-dub! I really like the frame color. Can't wait to see it all come together.

The Shop

thorns
12/8/2014 5:37pm
Looking good!

Although I am now getting the itch to do a project build myself.
Bruce372
12/8/2014 8:00pm
for the rear brake master cylinder, instead of finding a new hose, why not upgrade with one from ebay- in 2004, they got rid of the reservoir- i am sure any 2004 or newer rear brake master cylinder will work.

really nice work!
Spydee
12/9/2014 12:51am
Did you get the Yoshi graphics kit in the end dude? I'm was thinking of getting a set for mine in the new year, so will be looking forward to seeing how it looks before I make a final decision.
K-dubbb
12/9/2014 4:48am
Bruce372 wrote:
for the rear brake master cylinder, instead of finding a new hose, why not upgrade with one from ebay- in 2004, they got rid of the...
for the rear brake master cylinder, instead of finding a new hose, why not upgrade with one from ebay- in 2004, they got rid of the reservoir- i am sure any 2004 or newer rear brake master cylinder will work.

really nice work!
Thanks man I was considering this, watching ebay as we speak. I am going to run a kx250f front brake and by the looks of things I am gonna need rotors too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the bump stop on my rear shock? It is covered in red spray paint, i'd like to see it black!

These showed up yesterday, and I get more parts on Friday. Spending the weekend lacing the wheels, rebuilding suspension, and putting in all my bearings. Hope to have it standing up next week.

K-dubbb
12/9/2014 4:49am
Spydee wrote:
Did you get the Yoshi graphics kit in the end dude? I'm was thinking of getting a set for mine in the new year, so will...
Did you get the Yoshi graphics kit in the end dude? I'm was thinking of getting a set for mine in the new year, so will be looking forward to seeing how it looks before I make a final decision.
I am going with these but haven't ordered yet, probably one of the last things I do. I just spent $1300 on 3 parts orders so trying to pace myself haha Grinning
Spydee
12/9/2014 6:39am
Ha, nice! I'll be in the same boat come the new year, I've already compiled a list of what I'm going to buy so far, but thankfully it's no where near as much as you've spent.... yet! Blink

Your newly arrived box of parts makes me jealous mind.
slackinoff
12/9/2014 7:18am
"Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the bump stop on my rear shock? It is covered in red spray paint, i'd like to see it black!"

It's gonna be tough to do since that piece gets squished and deformed. The new paint is going to split/crack/flake off.

I would get some cleaner and see if you can get it back to the natural color.

Hondas4Life3
12/9/2014 9:53am
If your rotors are not bent measure them with a set of calipers to see if they are still within service limit for thickness. If they are i would just clean them up with Green scotch brite and soapy water. The scotch brite will make a nice contact surface for the new pads.
K-dubbb
12/9/2014 10:33am
slackinoff wrote:
"Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the bump stop on my rear shock? It is covered in red spray paint, i'd like to see it...
"Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the bump stop on my rear shock? It is covered in red spray paint, i'd like to see it black!"

It's gonna be tough to do since that piece gets squished and deformed. The new paint is going to split/crack/flake off.

I would get some cleaner and see if you can get it back to the natural color.

You are right maybe I need to be a bit more patient, I feel like the next step of chemicals will ruin the bump stop's surface, but it's all I can do, painting will end with a worse result
K-dubbb
12/9/2014 10:36am
If your rotors are not bent measure them with a set of calipers to see if they are still within service limit for thickness. If they...
If your rotors are not bent measure them with a set of calipers to see if they are still within service limit for thickness. If they are i would just clean them up with Green scotch brite and soapy water. The scotch brite will make a nice contact surface for the new pads.
I failed to mention this is after scrubbing with brake clean and a little wire wheel. The forks seals were blown on the bike, I am assuming fork oil went into the brakes and used - which could have been the fate of the rotors. I will measure them though, I'd be interested to see if it's just contamination or if the rotors are simply worn:
Bruce372
12/9/2014 10:38am
the bump stop on the shock should be seen as a wear item. I would replace it.
K-dubbb
12/15/2014 12:29pm
Does anyone know where I can get new dish washers for my chain slider? Can't seem to track any down and mine are clapped.
K-dubbb
12/17/2014 5:07am
Very productive night last night, tied off some loose ends and also got the silencer and rear shock finished.

Initially I thought the shock was too far gone, but after a lot of meticulous scrubbing, and the spring powdercoated, we are good to go!

The silencer was an oily mess, and the previous packing was....well I am not sure if it was even packing. Anyways, cleaned, repacked, polished and new decals. Pretty happy with this.

Laced up my wheels as well, plus waiting for a few parts still. Gotta say, I am getting pretty excited!

Till next time.

KR

Bruce372
12/17/2014 6:22am
if anyone is interested, ive got a whole bunch of rm125 spares and hop up parts that I am going to post in the classified soon.

just give me a couple of days....
Bruce372
12/19/2014 8:28am
I am in the process of putting a classified up, ive got a bunch of stuff for sale for late model RMs

new UFO white side panels and number plate

new UFO front fender

2004 RM125 rad valve, good condition

2004 V-force, with the correctly modified manifold, but it will need a new reed petal.

rm125 modified silencer, its fitted with the core and end cap from a rm250...really barks!

rmz450 oem white fork guards, used but in good condition and will fit the 2-strokes and you can remove the guides.

used SDG tall seat- the cover and the foam are good, but the base has a crack

new 2004 black seat cover.

used WC frame guards

new TAG racing upper triple clamp, black with one piece oversized bar mounts. fits 2004 and newer 250s, and 2005 and newer 125s

new pro taper unbreakable lever and adjust on the fly clutch perch

ive got all the pics on my phone, so shoot me a pm for pics....just looking to create some space and help someone out if you are doing winter rebuilds.
K-dubbb
12/22/2014 11:00am
So i was originally planning to order these ebay GPI radiators since my right side one had a major compression.

But as of late I have spotted some used radiators on ebay for good prices. My left side one does appear to be slightly crooked but it bolts up, plus I have new louvers. SO, what do you guys think - should I spend $85 on a used radiator and new hoses or should I just spend $135 on a set of GPI radiators with hoses?

It is more of a quality debate, will the used OEM ones be better then the chinese GPI ones or same?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/aluminum-radiator-silicone-hose-for-suzuki-RM125…

Left side:

Thanks!
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
12/22/2014 1:01pm
Send them bad boys to Mylers and have them repaired. They will come back good as new! You will not regret it!
K-dubbb
12/23/2014 10:50am
I am considering ordering a 2004+ rear brake master cylinder, besides aesthetics does it provide any performance additions? Better breaking, feel, etc.?

Thanks!
Hondas4Life3
12/24/2014 7:15am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2014 7:18am
IMO send them to ICW to get straightened and braced. Stay away from eBay radiators OEM rads are made of a much better alloy. ebay rads will fold like an aluminum can. ICW does great work
K-dubbb
12/30/2014 5:18am
Got some more parts yesterday and finished up my rear wheel, need to get it on the truing stand before I mount my tires.

Rebuilding the suspension in the coming days and looking forward to getting the chassis up on 2 wheels!

YZ125H1
12/30/2014 5:29am
Wow that bike was in really bad shape you are probably glad to see it start coming together now. I tried to clean the rads and hubs on my bike but no dice. The dirt has been on for so long I might need to use a media blaster. I was hesitant about getting my frame PC'd but it was so worth it. After cleaning most of the parts I just did not want to deal with the frame was well worth the money.
K-dubbb
12/30/2014 5:40am
YZ125H1 wrote:
Wow that bike was in really bad shape you are probably glad to see it start coming together now. I tried to clean the rads and...
Wow that bike was in really bad shape you are probably glad to see it start coming together now. I tried to clean the rads and hubs on my bike but no dice. The dirt has been on for so long I might need to use a media blaster. I was hesitant about getting my frame PC'd but it was so worth it. After cleaning most of the parts I just did not want to deal with the frame was well worth the money.
Yah man it has been night and day, I am happy to say if the bike never got in my hands it would never run again - surely has been rewarding.

If you look above I posted a picture of my bench grinder with wire wheel, that thing is perfect for cleaning all metal parts, bolts, radiators, brackets, etc. They typically are pretty cheap ($45) and the wire wheel is only about $6.

slackinoff
12/30/2014 5:44am
Amazing work on that shock! That is incredible.

My vote is to send the rads to mylers or icw. I have used mylers twice, they do good work. OEM rads are much better quality than the ebay units.

The radiators will not come back new looking (bright aluminum) but they will be straight. They might be able to hot tank them or something for an extra charge. Not sure.
K-dubbb
12/30/2014 5:50am
slackinoff wrote:
Amazing work on that shock! That is incredible. My vote is to send the rads to mylers or icw. I have used mylers twice, they do...
Amazing work on that shock! That is incredible.

My vote is to send the rads to mylers or icw. I have used mylers twice, they do good work. OEM rads are much better quality than the ebay units.

The radiators will not come back new looking (bright aluminum) but they will be straight. They might be able to hot tank them or something for an extra charge. Not sure.
Thanks Man!

I am gonna order the GPI radiator set off of Ebay, a friend of mine has them and the quality seems to be okay.

I was considering both of those venues (Mylers/ICW) and the cost to ship plus the services is almost double to buy the GPI rads, if I wasn't in Canada the scenario would be different. If these fail then I guess I will shell out extra cash in the future. Thanks for the input/resource.

Post a reply to: Rm 125 Rescue & Restore (Finished with Pics)

The Latest