Revalve worth it?

Kkawi
6/14/2014 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2014 6:53am
So I've heard a lot of opinions about revalves, I'd like to get some specific input. Obviously it is very important for a faster rider, but as a c class rider who is not pushing the suspensions limits (usually), is a revalve just a good way to blow money? Bike is a 13 kx450.

A few questions: how much better or easier to control and ride fast is a bike that is set up for you?

Is a revalve going to be just a step backwards once I start going faster than the valving is set for?
|
lumpy790
6/15/2014 7:33am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2014 7:33am
100% worth it.

I found that C riders typically over jump and come up short a lot and that works the suspension that much harder.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/15/2014 7:48am
Worth every penny. The bike handles so much better and is very predictable.

To answer your questions:
A few questions: how much better or easier to control and ride fast is a bike that is set up for you?
-it makes your bike more predictable and easier to set up when the track conditions change. The suspension becomes more sensitive to little bumps and big hits like over or under jumping.

Is a revalve going to be just a step backwards once I start going faster than the valving is set for?
-No because you can still use your clickers to go stiffer and the changes become more noticeable than stock valving. Also if you go with a place like Factory connection, you only pay for revalve once. Every time you bring it for a service or update you only pay for the service fee. They let you change your settings as much as you want!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
6/15/2014 8:52am
Worth every penny. The bike handles so much better and is very predictable. To answer your questions: A few questions: how much better or easier to...

-it makes your bike more predictable and easier to set up when the track conditions change. The suspension becomes more sensitive to little bumps and big hits like over or under jumping.

-No because you can still use your clickers to go stiffer and the changes become more noticeable than stock valving. Also if you go with a place like Factory connection, you only pay for revalve once. Every time you bring it for a service or update you only pay for the service fee. They let you change your settings as much as you want!
True, you only pay for the revalve once but the rebuild itself is over $500.
Kkawi
6/15/2014 9:01am
Worth every penny. The bike handles so much better and is very predictable. To answer your questions: A few questions: how much better or easier to...

Alright well then i think I'm gonna go for it.
I'll report back and see what happens

The Shop

casper
6/15/2014 11:45am
I just went through this same problem with my suspension. I posted about it here: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Anyone-race-with-stock-su…

I'm in the same situation as you, I race C class and have a kx450. Here's my take on it, first get the correct springs for your weight. Race Tech has a good spring rate calculator. I found that having the right springs was a big improvement even with the stock valving. Second, spend a whole day just playing around with different suspension settings. Adjust the sag, try 108mm, 105mm, 100mm, 95mm. They make a noticeable difference in how the bike handles. Try different fork heights, flush with the top of the triple clamps, 5mm down, 10mm down. Fox racing has a good suspension tuning guide to help with setting the clickers. Another thing you can try is fork oil height. My forks felt a little harsh and some one mentioned to add oil to the forks, as little as 5cc to each fork. I didn't think 5cc's would do much but I was surprised that I did notice it and it helped out.

The last thing I did was rebuild the forks with OEM bushing and SKF seals. SKF seals are these fork seals made out of some super slick material, search hear or check out this youtube video. I just this and it really helps with the fork going over small chop like braking bumps.

After doing all of this, I feel like i'm about 90% there with how I want my suspension. If you go through what I did, you might be able to work with the stock valving.
6/16/2014 6:53am
Does anyone have a link to videos of before/after a re-valve? Sort of like Rekluse did showing lap-times and stuff. It would be cool to see some high-speed footage of before/after, lap-times, etc.

Post a reply to: Revalve worth it?

The Latest