Rebuild rear shock Kawasaki 450 -12

Edited Date/Time 1/30/2015 1:03am
Have left my fork and Öhlins rear shock at RG-3 to revalve and refurbish.

BUT! i have my old OEM shock, and i´ve always wanted to learn how to service them, so i tore it apart today.
So, im going to rebuild the oem myself.

Gonna order parts from Racetech.

Should i order a gold valve kit (have anyone used it)? This will be my backup-shock so maybe not that necessary?

other than that, im going to rebuild my Bladder cap with a Schrader valve (Nitrogen i have at home)

So, im ordering:

Shock oil and dust seal set
Shock shaft bushings
New bottom out bumper
New bladder (wasnt in that bad shape, but anyways.. 20$...
Shock clip pic tool (for next time)
Bladder removal tool (for next time)
Stock spring is 5.5KG and racetech says 5.32 for me, nearest is 5.4kg. Might leave it stock..

So, have i missed something obvious and what do you say about the gold valve kit?

|
tomm55x
1/25/2015 8:14am
I would definitely go with the gold valve and the proper spring rate too seeing as you have it taken apart already.
1/25/2015 9:26am
Also, the wear you see on the valve, is this normal?
Suspension is 82.5H old, serviced with oil now and then before I owned it..

The Shop

slipdog
1/25/2015 4:09pm
That's normal wear for a piston band just like the piston ring in your engine. You should definitely replace it, but it requires special tools to expand the band to fit on the piston and one to re size it correctly. I've been told the stock KYB piston bands show noticeable loss of damping force on a shock dyno after only 10 hrs.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/26/2015 11:49am
For me, I usually just buy a complete replacement seal head. For the the average garage hack it is easier then rebuilding the old seal head with new oil seal, dust seal, and bushing.
lumpy790
1/28/2015 2:58pm
FGR01 wrote:
For me, I usually just buy a complete replacement seal head. For the the average garage hack it is easier then rebuilding the old seal head...
For me, I usually just buy a complete replacement seal head. For the the average garage hack it is easier then rebuilding the old seal head with new oil seal, dust seal, and bushing.
I like the OEM seal head better.

RT Gold valve works well just be 100% honest in your riding abilities.
Bruce372
1/28/2015 8:30pm
i just rebuilt a shock with a low friction SKF seal head and a MX-tech low friction piston band. For that piston band, you dont need tools to replace it.

the shock movement is super slick now thats for sure, and the parts were around $100.

dont forget, you need to find a no loss schrader chuck and a nitrogen cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-ZERO-LOSS-AIR-NITROGEN-CHUCK-STAINLESS-STEEL…
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
1/29/2015 9:44am
Are you able to get the sag numbers you want out of your current shock spring? There are tolerances in the springs, so your stock 5.5 might actually be a 5.4 or a 5.6 or more. You're close, so if you are getting the sag you desire, and having it as a backup you may be able to pass on the springs.

I'd love to see you go with the Gold Valve kit and run it back to back with your Ohlins setup. There is a good chance it won't be your backup shock anymore if you do. (of course I am biased). The piston band is extremely important, so make sure you don't ignore it, the same with the fluid you put in the shock.

Don't forget the VitalMX discount and your Race Tech parts are 100% guaranteed to exceed your highest expectations, if that helps push you to take the extra step!
colson973
1/29/2015 10:01am
For sure try a gold valve and rebound separator combo. Call race tech with any questions during install to make sure its done properly they are more than happy to answer any questions. Be careful after the install though, you may feel very bad for paying all that money for an Ohlins shock after riding on the RT set up.... =]

Also the seal head bushings can be a little tricky to get in and out without the bushing drivers. (Race Tech also sells a kit of those but might not be worth the money for 1 shock.)
1/30/2015 1:03am
Thanks for the response.

I've only paid 300$ for the ohlins ttx though Wink
Will probably put ohlins oil in it Smile

Gold-valve kit it is Smile

Post a reply to: Rebuild rear shock Kawasaki 450 -12

The Latest