Racetech Revalve?

Edited Date/Time 7/29/2014 6:58pm
After 5 years of riding on stock suspension, Im finally fed up with riding on stock suspension. When my birthday rolls around in September I'm most likely going to send my rear shock off to racetech to have them revalve it, and then buy the do it myself gold valve kit for the front suspension at the same time. The reason being is that I CANT afford to send both off to Racetech. Its just way out of my budget and I can get the racetech gold valve kit for $134 on ebay. My question to you guys is how much does a shock revalve at racetech usually cost; when parts, oil, and anything else they do is factored in? I believe their revalve price is $180 without the other things included.
|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
7/21/2014 7:49am
If it's been 5 years since your suspension has been serviced, you can expect a bunch of replacement costs, particularly if you have it sent off. No professional shop wants to send a unit back without new seals, bushings, etc as it increases the chances of it not performing right, or failing outright. Additionally, if the fluid is that old, simply changing the fluid and worn parts will have your suspension working much, much better than it is right now.

While the Gold Valves are certainly nice, the stock SSS pistons are actually quite good. Changing the shim stacks can result in outstanding results, assuming you pick out good stacks. Also, I've found that the shock is much easier to work on than the forks. The only "hard" part with the shock is refilling the nitrogen and most shops will recharge it for a low fee. Watch some videos on shock and fork rebuilding to get an idea. Thumpertalk generally has a better "tech" section than Vital, you might want to post some questions in the YZ 2 stroke and Suspension sections.

Good luck.
7/21/2014 8:08am
If it's been 5 years since your suspension has been serviced, you can expect a bunch of replacement costs, particularly if you have it sent off...
If it's been 5 years since your suspension has been serviced, you can expect a bunch of replacement costs, particularly if you have it sent off. No professional shop wants to send a unit back without new seals, bushings, etc as it increases the chances of it not performing right, or failing outright. Additionally, if the fluid is that old, simply changing the fluid and worn parts will have your suspension working much, much better than it is right now.

While the Gold Valves are certainly nice, the stock SSS pistons are actually quite good. Changing the shim stacks can result in outstanding results, assuming you pick out good stacks. Also, I've found that the shock is much easier to work on than the forks. The only "hard" part with the shock is refilling the nitrogen and most shops will recharge it for a low fee. Watch some videos on shock and fork rebuilding to get an idea. Thumpertalk generally has a better "tech" section than Vital, you might want to post some questions in the YZ 2 stroke and Suspension sections.

Good luck.
Sorry I should clarify that I haven't had this bike for 5 years. I have only had it for a year. I literally just rebuilt the forks and shocks and put all new oil in them. I also just put new fork and shock springs on, but I am planning on replacing the rear shock spring with something a little softer. I love the suspension on my yz, but I just feel like its time to try something new. That's why I want to get the racetech gold valve kit for the forks and have racetech do the shock. Also I HATED doing the shock, for some reason I just could never get it right. It was also a pain finding someone in my area with a tank that could fill the shock with 160psi nitrogen. So that is why I want a professional to do the shock, I just don't fell comfortable going through that process again.

The Shop

mxtech1
7/21/2014 2:04pm
The SSS suspension on that bike is some of the best production suspension ever made. I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't get it very good just by doing a simple rebuild and getting the correct springs rates.

Unless you are fat, lightweight, extremely fast, or extremely slow, I just don't see a reason to go inside the SSS suspension.
JBernard_401
7/21/2014 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 2:29pm
makita124 wrote:
Here comes the Herd!!!
just felt like spamming multiple threads with a rear linkage?

edit:
nice post history. pretty tacky to just spam your 'sponsor' in random threads that have nothing to do with that product. not very professional of MB1. i'll let people know to stay away.
makita124
7/21/2014 2:39pm
makita124 wrote:
Here comes the Herd!!!
just felt like spamming multiple threads with a rear linkage? edit: nice post history. pretty tacky to just spam your 'sponsor' in random threads that have...
just felt like spamming multiple threads with a rear linkage?

edit:
nice post history. pretty tacky to just spam your 'sponsor' in random threads that have nothing to do with that product. not very professional of MB1. i'll let people know to stay away.
like I said here comes the herd...Success=Haters... We love them and im sur MB1 does also. MB1 sponsors me and has nothing to do with you buddy.. Entertain yourself JBernard_401
JBernard_401
7/21/2014 2:45pm
how am i a 'hater'? and ive never heard someone call someone else a 'hater' besides 13 yr old on instagram anyways. so congrats on that.
this guy posted a thread about RACETECH pricing and you post a random picture of linkage that get this.....isnt even yours. so technically, using your logic, wouldnt YOU be the hater of racetech. trying to hate on their success and all posting pictures of a competitors product? what does mb1 give you? free tshirts?
i wouldnt have said anything if i didnt look at your post history and notice youre just spamming someone elses stuff in random spots. definition of a fuckin kook.

7/21/2014 3:32pm
So does anyone have an idea of how much a shock revalve will cost? Maybe a ballpark estimate from someone that has had it done before by racetech?
JBernard_401
7/21/2014 3:41pm
sorry, no. give them a call though, should be a 5 second answer. my local guy is 155$ shock labor for revalve and then whatever parts and oil amounts are needed. which usually add up to a decent amount.

definitely stay away from MB1 suspension though! pretty horrible i hear.
JBernard_401
7/22/2014 12:42pm
yep pro motion has been around forever.
saving 20$ going with someone else isnt going to be your biggest cost. like someone said above. the cost is going to be in shims, bushings and seals. which add up. and if the shock is 5 yrs old and has been ridden on they will probably replace them all and it isnt super cheap. but its required so what can you do.
like someone said above, the SSS stuff is by far the best stuff stock made. and you look like your a normal weight rider, 170# or so....so, what are you trying to accomplish here? just freshen it up and replace worn parts or are you unhappy with performance?
makita124
7/23/2014 11:43am
I told my Suspension guy the story about this post and he just laughed.. Didn't seem to bother him at all.. Think he said hes dealt with more pressure than a internet forum.. Story was pretty cool he old about the 24-0 record with rc and how the pressure would build every week with each moto win.. Pretty cool story I thought..

Anyway JBernard_401, I like that 401 number by the way.. We undertand you hate MB1 any maybe other sponsors also. I got my suspension done by Pc a few years ago with a 4 week turnaround time, 1300$ bill and not one phone call.. Worked good but talk about customer service... Not all of us are perfect 401..

I fully support my sponsors that include Malcolm Smith Motorsports, VP Fuel, Works Connection, X-RIG, MB1, Pro-Circuit, Your opinion is sure different about MB1 than ALL the Magazines... Sounds like MB1 has a Stalker to deal with.. Business Slander comes to mind also with all these hate comments.. Smile 401Smile Its all good buddy.. we understand your point and probably will hear it again since not having the last word is just bugging the crap out of you..

MB1 is taking me to Glen Helen Next week to test my new 2014 KXF250. Why don't you join us and have fun and get a moto in with us. Even the MB1 Owner rides himself and goes fast... Why don't u join us 401?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/23/2014 11:54am
makita124 wrote:
I told my Suspension guy the story about this post and he just laughed.. Didn't seem to bother him at all.. Think he said hes dealt...
I told my Suspension guy the story about this post and he just laughed.. Didn't seem to bother him at all.. Think he said hes dealt with more pressure than a internet forum.. Story was pretty cool he old about the 24-0 record with rc and how the pressure would build every week with each moto win.. Pretty cool story I thought..

Anyway JBernard_401, I like that 401 number by the way.. We undertand you hate MB1 any maybe other sponsors also. I got my suspension done by Pc a few years ago with a 4 week turnaround time, 1300$ bill and not one phone call.. Worked good but talk about customer service... Not all of us are perfect 401..

I fully support my sponsors that include Malcolm Smith Motorsports, VP Fuel, Works Connection, X-RIG, MB1, Pro-Circuit, Your opinion is sure different about MB1 than ALL the Magazines... Sounds like MB1 has a Stalker to deal with.. Business Slander comes to mind also with all these hate comments.. Smile 401Smile Its all good buddy.. we understand your point and probably will hear it again since not having the last word is just bugging the crap out of you..

MB1 is taking me to Glen Helen Next week to test my new 2014 KXF250. Why don't you join us and have fun and get a moto in with us. Even the MB1 Owner rides himself and goes fast... Why don't u join us 401?
Did you mention in your story about the part where you have been starting the majority of the crap lately? Smile By the way, I don't notice if you have checked your recent postings, but behave yourself, the warning shots were fired.
mark_swart
7/23/2014 7:23pm
So does anyone have an idea of how much a shock revalve will cost? Maybe a ballpark estimate from someone that has had it done before...
So does anyone have an idea of how much a shock revalve will cost? Maybe a ballpark estimate from someone that has had it done before by racetech?
From looking at their website in the past on shock revalve, the impression I get with Race Tech is you buy a Gold Valve, then they install it for $100?
7/24/2014 3:53am
I agree with mx tech1. The kyb sss is superior to anything out in my opinion. I had an 06 n it was done by F/C at the time and it was bannas!!! Mxtech 1 are u the jeremy dude?
7/24/2014 7:42am
I agree with mx tech1. The kyb sss is superior to anything out in my opinion. I had an 06 n it was done by F/C...
I agree with mx tech1. The kyb sss is superior to anything out in my opinion. I had an 06 n it was done by F/C at the time and it was bannas!!! Mxtech 1 are u the jeremy dude?
So is bananas a good or bad thing when it comes to suspension?Tongue
colson973
7/28/2014 9:57am
look for a local race tech delaer. I do a lot of race tech in MN here and I'm considerably cheaper than going direct to Race Tech. Great products though!
www.pdrperformance.com
7/28/2014 11:17am
colson973 wrote:
look for a local race tech delaer. I do a lot of race tech in MN here and I'm considerably cheaper than going direct to Race...
look for a local race tech delaer. I do a lot of race tech in MN here and I'm considerably cheaper than going direct to Race Tech. Great products though!
www.pdrperformance.com
That's what Im looking to do at the moment. A friend of mine told me to take my bike to renegade suspension, right next to monster mountain. That way he can revalve it for my weight and have him watch me ride it to make sure its working properly. I even tested this guys bike with his suspension tuned by them and it was SO much better than mine. Even though he weighs a lot less than me and is much shorter than me.
7/28/2014 11:18am
colson973 wrote:
look for a local race tech delaer. I do a lot of race tech in MN here and I'm considerably cheaper than going direct to Race...
www.pdrperformance.com
Sorry I misread your post, Im looking for a local suspension guru not a racetech dealer now.
mxtech1
7/28/2014 12:06pm
I agree with mx tech1. The kyb sss is superior to anything out in my opinion. I had an 06 n it was done by F/C...
No sir....I am not the Jeremy dude
Mr Bean
7/29/2014 6:58pm
Sorry I misread your post, Im looking for a local suspension guru not a racetech dealer now.
You might want to check with Vital member DaveJ. He owns Smart Performance and has a rep in the SC/NC area.

I have a friend who had Dave's fork kit installed in his KTM and another friend (expert/National level rider) rode it and said it was the best KTM fork (possibly the best fork, period) he had ever ridden. If you've ever ridden WP legs on a KTM then you know this is no small feat.

I don't think you can go wrong with him for quality of performance or customer service.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/14/2017 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2017 9:00pm
colson973 wrote:
www.pdrperformance.com
Im Looking to Get some
Work done on my 1998 Kx250
I am in Minnesota

Post a reply to: Racetech Revalve?

The Latest