RMZ 250 2013 SFF Very Harsh, Cant Solve

holverson34
5/21/2015 5:17pm
Same problem on my 13 rmz450. Wants to soak up some bumps but on others it would rather rip my hands off.
5/21/2015 5:25pm
Same problem on my 13 rmz450. Wants to soak up some bumps but on others it would rather rip my hands off.
Yea, you know there's a problem with the forks when I was riding a YZ250 and said wow no more arm pump..Thing is the suspension guy here says they are good once dialed in, I have yet to see that though so I'm not sure, maybe after thousands of dollars. I love the bike other than that though, that's the only reason I haven't given up hope yet, even though its unrideable Tongue
5/21/2015 5:45pm
What I dont understand is the KX250f 2013 has SFF forks also and I haven't heard of anyone saying the front end is harsh. How come it's just Suzuki... Same damn forks.
holverson34
5/21/2015 6:17pm
Ive read that the rmz forks come with a lot more oil In them but I'd think the revalve would have set that straight. Mine are revalved too and they work well on jumps and smaller breaking bumps but bigger and faster bumps feels so stiff. idk I posted the same question about a week ago maybe we will get some answers this time . Lol.

The Shop

elementmx
5/21/2015 7:56pm
Yup, had the same problem w my 13 rmz 450. Could not figure those things out and basically concluded that they're garbage. Ive heard the 13 450s had a stiffer frame so that might of had something to but the forks are still sketchy.

One thing that helped me some way backing the preload adjuster wayy out. Other than that, idk. I sold it and went back to a Honda. :/
5/21/2015 8:37pm
There has to be a way to fix them without replacing the fork, upgrading the damper side or something.
Suspenders
5/22/2015 8:25am
Fork is very good when set up properly and have local intermediates on the same bike loving the suspension.
Sounds like a mid valve issue.
Tracktor
5/22/2015 10:30am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2015 10:34am
I had the same problem when I bought mine earlier this year. My suspension guy at Pro-Motion in Vancouver, WA fixed it right up. Suzuki uses waaay to heavy springs from the factory. We went lighter both front & rear & he put a different piston in the shock. Massive difference. It's a known problem (at least to him) and I can easily say best suspension I have rode in quite awhile. Last bike was a 2012 CRF250 & I like this better. I have no affiliation with Pro Motion other than he does all our suspension work and has been a friend for awhile..........................I am a 40+ INT rider. 5'10 180lbs. I did add Flex-bars but that's on every bike.......Seriously, the suspension work took it from hate & sell this thing to loving it, so it can be fixed!.........
Suspenders
5/22/2015 10:42am
Yep. The springs just depend on your weight, type of riding and level of riding of course, but you are on target regarding the shock piston. They are one of the few pistons we replace as a necessity.
That said the 12 forks can be made just as good and are a more dependable fork at the pro level or for the guys doing free style.
On an extreme hit the base valve can self destruct. 99% of riders would never see this, just saying.
5/25/2015 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 1:00pm
Suspenders wrote:
Yep. The springs just depend on your weight, type of riding and level of riding of course, but you are on target regarding the shock piston...
Yep. The springs just depend on your weight, type of riding and level of riding of course, but you are on target regarding the shock piston. They are one of the few pistons we replace as a necessity.
That said the 12 forks can be made just as good and are a more dependable fork at the pro level or for the guys doing free style.
On an extreme hit the base valve can self destruct. 99% of riders would never see this, just saying.
I rode on the weekend and just tested out a 2012 kx250f and they have the same SFF forks, it was smooth as butter and it was stock not even revalved. I had similar sized springs/shock as well, so it makes little sense. I know if I drop more oil or the spring size it will feel too soft over jumps etc. I have tried turning preload down to nothing and lowering compression/rebound, moving forks up to 10mm from clamp, 5mm from clamp, flush with clamp and it's still harsh over small bumps but smooth as butter landing jumps and flat landing "it's already nose diving on me so I don't want to lower the spring size any more". Someone was telling me it could be related to the rake or chassis on the rmz250 2013 also, because I definitely noticed the rake is way more angled then any bike I've seen, even few year older suzukis. But I will probably sell it this week anyways and find another bike can't be bothered putting more $ into it not knowing what will work.
Suspenders
5/25/2015 7:38pm
Have you checked the alignment on your forks.

Sounds like something else may be going on here.
5/25/2015 8:02pm
Yes alignment is fine.

I'm not sure, the guy who does the suspension also does pros here in Canada so I can't see it being a valving issue. It seems to only be the 2013 too from reading forums, I have talked to others with same bike and have same issue but no one seems to know why it's very strange.
jdorazio
5/26/2015 4:44am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2015 4:44am
The stock fork spring comes with way too much spring pre-load which can be fixed by installing a shorter aftermarket spring, removing material from the spring collar...etc. Once you have the correct front/rear spring rate, pre load, sag settings, fork height etc... if your still having significant harshness, lower oil level, and for an extreme measure try throwing a cross over shim in the base valve. Change one thing at a time and you'll learn a lot or have the forks professionally re-valved by a reliable tuner to save you the head ache.
Tracktor
5/26/2015 10:06am
Too bad you arent closer we could swap as I had the same complaints prior to getting mine fixed. Small braking bumps felt like street curbs. My kidneys ached after a moto...............Now if I can just get the weird starting issues fixed......
5/26/2015 10:38am
Tracktor wrote:
Too bad you arent closer we could swap as I had the same complaints prior to getting mine fixed. Small braking bumps felt like street curbs...
Too bad you arent closer we could swap as I had the same complaints prior to getting mine fixed. Small braking bumps felt like street curbs. My kidneys ached after a moto...............Now if I can just get the weird starting issues fixed......
You have the same year suzuki also? DO you know if your suspension guy modified the rake angle?
Tracktor
5/26/2015 10:41am
Yes, 2013 RMZ250. I would say, no as all I gave him was forks & shock. When I told him my complaint he was very aware of the harshness. Whatever he did fixed it. Absoluteness went from hating the bike to loving it......Email me if you want his # he loves to talk shop.........gmrebholz@gmail.com
5/26/2015 10:44am
jdorazio wrote:
The stock fork spring comes with way too much spring pre-load which can be fixed by installing a shorter aftermarket spring, removing material from the spring...
The stock fork spring comes with way too much spring pre-load which can be fixed by installing a shorter aftermarket spring, removing material from the spring collar...etc. Once you have the correct front/rear spring rate, pre load, sag settings, fork height etc... if your still having significant harshness, lower oil level, and for an extreme measure try throwing a cross over shim in the base valve. Change one thing at a time and you'll learn a lot or have the forks professionally re-valved by a reliable tuner to save you the head ache.
Shorter spring eh? Hmm, wouldn't that cause other issues while riding though? And I have had it revalved already by a guy who does it for a lot of pros around here, it helped maybe 25%.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
5/26/2015 2:35pm
No offense meant by the following. I would not consider a guy up in Canada who does "a lot of Canadian pros bikes" to be a reliable tuner. Considering everything else is correct as far as the actual setup (correct springs and valving for your weight), torque specs, alignment, etc. I would say that it is possible you are having the same issue that was causing guys to break forks on some 13 RMZ's. I have heard of more than one scenario where guys get setting that were meant for a 250 lb C rider. Mistakes can and do happen.
Tracktor
5/26/2015 3:11pm
jhansen510 wrote:
No offense meant by the following. I would not consider a guy up in Canada who does "a lot of Canadian pros bikes" to be a...
No offense meant by the following. I would not consider a guy up in Canada who does "a lot of Canadian pros bikes" to be a reliable tuner. Considering everything else is correct as far as the actual setup (correct springs and valving for your weight), torque specs, alignment, etc. I would say that it is possible you are having the same issue that was causing guys to break forks on some 13 RMZ's. I have heard of more than one scenario where guys get setting that were meant for a 250 lb C rider. Mistakes can and do happen.
I was going to say the same thing. I bought my bike used and it had been revalved by a very well know guy in Socal with an excellent reputation. Now, there was no data on who it was set up for but, like posted above, it was horrible. Even my kid at 140lbs loves it now..........
6/4/2015 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 6:34pm
Sold the bike, got a newish kx250f couldn't be happier! Thanks for all your input guys I took the easy way out Tongue
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
6/5/2015 9:38am
What year Kawi did you get? Does it still have the SFF fork?
6/5/2015 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 1:20pm
2012, yes it has SFF forks, makes no sense right? Someone told me its because of the chassis and kawi does different things with the damper side, unno but it works mint and hasn't even been re valved yet. Another guy said he had same problem with his 2013 rmz450 and sold it too, I have yet to see a 2013 without fork issues with stock forks. It's weird because it didn't feel harsh on anything other than braking bumps, and if I took more oil out or soften spring up even more it would feel too soft and still be harsh, it's almost like the damper side is the issue or the rake angle. Seems most suzukis I see have completely new forks like RG3 etc.

Post a reply to: RMZ 250 2013 SFF Very Harsh, Cant Solve

The Latest