RM 250 issue. Missing 95% of my tranny oil?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2015 12:10pm
What I have going on here , was an issue with my clutch at first. Which turned out NOT to be an issue because of something so simple I over looked it. I couldn't have any slop in my clutch lever because the other end of the cable ( in the stater side , small lever ) had the tab broke off , which is basically a keeper. I'm getting a new little lever here real quick. As of right now , that little issue is solved.

My main issue is , when I went to drain my oil so I could check my clutch plates , basket and so forth , I barely had anything in there. Like 2 - 3oz of oil. About a 1/2 cup or less?

I checked the plug , and it's clean and was burning clean , motor was running like a Swiss watch. No oil coming from any gaskets , drain plug , ect. I do however have a heavy residue on one ( there are two ) vent hoses coming out of my power valve. I have no oil in the water , so that tells me the water pump seal is still good.

What could it be? Maybe a bad seal in the power valve area of some type?

I usually do two full ride days before I change my oil. The last few times I've done this , the oil was still clean and good. I got two full ride days on this oil change , but it was pretty burned and not much left.

I am going to slap some fresh oil in it and test ride it this weekend and see if I can pin point exactly where it's coming out of. Any other RM owners come across an issue like this?
|
2b
8/4/2015 10:56pm
Heya im interested in the reply's for this too, as lately when ever i put 750ml of Gearbox oil in my YZ250, only 500ml ever drains out. Where has the other 250ml gone?
bike seems to be running great, fresh topend, no water leaks, %100 clean radiator water, not smoking..
cwtoyota
8/4/2015 11:26pm
Jeffro, your post makes you sound like you barely ever change or check your gearbox oil and your post-count backs that up. With over 14000 posts on the forum here, how could you have time to hold down a job to buy oil?

I kid, I kid...

I change the gearbox oil every ride on both my YZ250s and my YZ125 because the wet clutch just gunks it up so quickly. How long was it between the last oil change and when it was all gone?

My bet is that your main seal is NFG (No Fuckin' Good). The seal and a clutch cover gasket are cheap... I would start there.

2B, yours sounds like the same issue to me, the main seal. The power valve vent tube is there to equalize pressure in the power valve linkage chamber on the front of the cylinder. The power valves don't have any kind of sealing rings or O-rings, so they actually allow a bit of un-burned premix oil to pass between them and the cylinder casting. That is by design, how else would they stay lubed and cooled? So that oil on the vent-tube is just premix oil from your fuel, not oil from the transmission.

On a two-stroke, if your transmission isn't leaking oil out the case or the tranny-vent-tube, it's being picked up through the main seals, or the thin section of sealant that separates the crank from the gearbox. The crank-seal is the most likely problem.

I popped a crank seal at StarWest MX one day when I started the bike with the exhaust plug still installed. It was bogging and sounded loaded-up so I revved it to clear it out. DOHHH! Big mistake. When I pulled out the silencer plug it smoked like Barcia's old CRF250R practice bike... A new seal fixed the problem.

Markopolo400
8/5/2015 7:47am
^^^ toyota is 100% right.

I run the oil in my 2014 250SX for roughly 2 hours before changing it. Because I am an engineering nerd, I got a kit from Blackstone to send an oil sample off and see exactly what's in it.
jeffro503
8/5/2015 8:03am
cwtoyota wrote:
Jeffro, your post makes you sound like you barely ever change or check your gearbox oil and your post-count backs that up. With over 14000 posts...
Jeffro, your post makes you sound like you barely ever change or check your gearbox oil and your post-count backs that up. With over 14000 posts on the forum here, how could you have time to hold down a job to buy oil?

I kid, I kid...

I change the gearbox oil every ride on both my YZ250s and my YZ125 because the wet clutch just gunks it up so quickly. How long was it between the last oil change and when it was all gone?

My bet is that your main seal is NFG (No Fuckin' Good). The seal and a clutch cover gasket are cheap... I would start there.

2B, yours sounds like the same issue to me, the main seal. The power valve vent tube is there to equalize pressure in the power valve linkage chamber on the front of the cylinder. The power valves don't have any kind of sealing rings or O-rings, so they actually allow a bit of un-burned premix oil to pass between them and the cylinder casting. That is by design, how else would they stay lubed and cooled? So that oil on the vent-tube is just premix oil from your fuel, not oil from the transmission.

On a two-stroke, if your transmission isn't leaking oil out the case or the tranny-vent-tube, it's being picked up through the main seals, or the thin section of sealant that separates the crank from the gearbox. The crank-seal is the most likely problem.

I popped a crank seal at StarWest MX one day when I started the bike with the exhaust plug still installed. It was bogging and sounded loaded-up so I revved it to clear it out. DOHHH! Big mistake. When I pulled out the silencer plug it smoked like Barcia's old CRF250R practice bike... A new seal fixed the problem.

Well like I was saying , I got in the habit of changing my oil every other ride day. I found that changing it every ride day seemed a little over kill , since it looked like it came strait out of the bottle. Same thing happened here , as I put in two ride days. On the RM I'll usually put in a good 5 - 7 motos of about 15 - 25mins. BUT....after what just happened ( oil disappearing ) I need to start checking the fluid level after every couple moto's.

The bad main seal could be a possibility for sure. Only thing is , the plug and exhaust are clean and the bike wasn't smoking at all during my rides. There is no oil coming out from the drain bolt or any gasket on the motor. And for some reason the PV vent tube was coated with oil , like was more than normal.

The Shop

mxtech1
8/5/2015 8:41am
Pull the front power valve cover off and see if you have engine oil in there. If there is, you have a poor seal in the linkage area on the right side.

If not, the bike is burning oil through the cylinder. That means crank seals or center gasket. It could be leaking slow enough that it's burning with the combustion and not enough to gunk the plug up.
jeffro503
8/5/2015 8:47am
mxtech1 wrote:
Pull the front power valve cover off and see if you have engine oil in there. If there is, you have a poor seal in the...
Pull the front power valve cover off and see if you have engine oil in there. If there is, you have a poor seal in the linkage area on the right side.

If not, the bike is burning oil through the cylinder. That means crank seals or center gasket. It could be leaking slow enough that it's burning with the combustion and not enough to gunk the plug up.
Will do. You think I should test ride it again to see if it's actually coming out of the vent tube , or should I not even worry about that and just pull the cover? I think I'm just going to replace both main seals , water pump seal , the PV seal(s) and so forth. The clutch still looks good. I do have a oem basket in there , but it looks brand new and so do the plates. The bottom and top end on this motor were completely rebuilt before I bought it , so I'm thinking he may of slapped a whole new clutch in there , along with a basket.
mxtech1
8/5/2015 9:21am
mxtech1 wrote:
Pull the front power valve cover off and see if you have engine oil in there. If there is, you have a poor seal in the...

jeffro503 wrote:
Will do. You think I should test ride it again to see if it's actually coming out of the vent tube , or should I not...
Will do. You think I should test ride it again to see if it's actually coming out of the vent tube , or should I not even worry about that and just pull the cover? I think I'm just going to replace both main seals , water pump seal , the PV seal(s) and so forth. The clutch still looks good. I do have a oem basket in there , but it looks brand new and so do the plates. The bottom and top end on this motor were completely rebuilt before I bought it , so I'm thinking he may of slapped a whole new clutch in there , along with a basket.
Sounds like you are willing to do it right. I would just go ahead and a get gasket kit and the seals you mentioned and go through it. Those engines are so simple you can knock it out in a couple hours and regain your piece of mind.

Might as well through a new ring in it while you have the chance!
jeffro503
8/5/2015 11:43am
Got everything ordered up today. All new seals every where , complete gasket set , extra gaskets for certain things I'll know I'll need later , and all the parts I need to fix the clutch assembly up. The RM will be down for a couple weeks , but she'll be running like a Swiss watch when I get her all done.
mxtech1
8/6/2015 6:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
Got everything ordered up today. All new seals every where , complete gasket set , extra gaskets for certain things I'll know I'll need later...
Got everything ordered up today. All new seals every where , complete gasket set , extra gaskets for certain things I'll know I'll need later , and all the parts I need to fix the clutch assembly up. The RM will be down for a couple weeks , but she'll be running like a Swiss watch when I get her all done.
Cool. Post some pictures when you get it split so I can take a look. Interested to see.
jeffro503
8/6/2015 1:56pm
HA! Well i can basically do everything on these 2 strokes that i need to but the bottom end is not something im going to attempt. I gotta ride the thing and i don't trust my mechanical skills enough to do it. I have a very well known mechanic up here in the NW that's going to do it for me. Maybe one day when im not in such a hurry to get it back out there. I want to learn it anyways , always have.
jeffro503
8/6/2015 1:58pm
Btw....my oem basket is still in really good shape but i think I'll invest in a Hinson. You think it may be a good idea to take the inner basket in and get it hard coated anodized ?
mxtech1
8/7/2015 7:14am
jeffro503 wrote:
Btw....my oem basket is still in really good shape but i think I'll invest in a Hinson. You think it may be a good idea to...
Btw....my oem basket is still in really good shape but i think I'll invest in a Hinson. You think it may be a good idea to take the inner basket in and get it hard coated anodized ?
No, it's not a good investment.

If you are checking the clutch plates regularly, you will notice wear before it becomes an issue. Even if it does go after some time, an OEM inner is relatively inexpensive.
jeffro503
8/7/2015 8:51am
Oh dang you're right. Man I was thinking it would of been a lot more than that. About $40.00 through motosport. Thanks man!
jeffro503
8/7/2015 1:59pm
Oh i damn near did. Uneasy feeling for sure. Only thing i can do is repair the issues and then ride the hell out of it. She was running fine all the way up to me shutting it off from my last ride. Pretty confident she's fine. Id fix it no matter what anyways. Just love that bike way to much.
HackMan162
8/8/2015 12:10pm
I hard ano'd my OEM inner hub and pressure plate. But, I was getting other stuff done anyways, so there was no extra cost. It does seem to keep the oil cleaner for longer. Perhaps that's my imagination.

Post a reply to: RM 250 issue. Missing 95% of my tranny oil?

The Latest