RK Chains?

Slow450
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2015 10:48pm
I picked up an RK GB520MXZ4 Chain about three months ago and it seems like it has stretched as bad as the stock throw away that I replaced on my KX450F. I've never used an RK chain before, I've probably bought 3-4 each of Renthal R1's and DIDERT gold's over the years and they've all seemed to last pretty well, definitely better than this one. Granted they were all on 125 and 250 two strokes as well as my last two bikes prior to this one were 250Fs. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I don't know if I'm remembering the grass being greener or perhaps the bigger bike is the issue, but this chain seemed to lose it's gold plating and stretch way faster than other high-end MX chains. I've been stoked on Excel rims in the past, so I don't have it out for the company, just a little disappointed. I'll probably be ordering a Renthal combo from BTO soon. Anyone have any real good luck with chains/sprockets lately? Excluding the steel stuff, my bike is heavy enough as is. Thanks
|
11/27/2011 3:13pm
I dont have much experience with RK chains myself personally however I do know you have to run the chain alittle looser on the KXF's as opposed to other bikes and I know they are bad about wearing out the swing arm slider and chain guide really bad. I also know that 450's are harder on chains & tires compaired to the smaller bore bikes due to the torque they produce. I run DID ERT2 chain on my 450's with great success. We also have a 30% off MSRP sale on all of our Renthal Chains & sprockets currently on our website and FREE shipping on all orders over $100 in the lower 48 states. http://www.privateerconnection.com/productgroups.htm?custom=4
mxb2
11/27/2011 3:27pm
Slow450 wrote:
I picked up an RK GB520MXZ4 Chain about three months ago and it seems like it has stretched as bad as the stock throw away that...
I picked up an RK GB520MXZ4 Chain about three months ago and it seems like it has stretched as bad as the stock throw away that I replaced on my KX450F. I've never used an RK chain before, I've probably bought 3-4 each of Renthal R1's and DIDERT gold's over the years and they've all seemed to last pretty well, definitely better than this one. Granted they were all on 125 and 250 two strokes as well as my last two bikes prior to this one were 250Fs. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I don't know if I'm remembering the grass being greener or perhaps the bigger bike is the issue, but this chain seemed to lose it's gold plating and stretch way faster than other high-end MX chains. I've been stoked on Excel rims in the past, so I don't have it out for the company, just a little disappointed. I'll probably be ordering a Renthal combo from BTO soon. Anyone have any real good luck with chains/sprockets lately? Excluding the steel stuff, my bike is heavy enough as is. Thanks
How many hours on the chain? Most top quality chains are good for about 30 hrs IMO. I have used Rk stuff, it stretched quite a bit, but adjusting the chain is no big deal.The 450 s do wear out sprockets chains more than the smaller bore bikes. What you save on engine parts on the 450 s you use money on rear tires,chains, sprockets etc!
CamP
11/27/2011 8:13pm
No conventional chain will last long on a 450. I run a DID 520VT2 x-ring chain with MSR/Ironman sprockets and it went almost 100 hours before I had to make my 2nd chain adjustment.

BTW, I did dyno tests with the x-ring and the stock chain and there was no measurable difference.

The Shop

mxtech1
11/28/2011 6:14am
I'm not sure why you are complaining about a chain wearing out after 3 months of riding. That is a pretty good life out of a chain on a 4 stroke. I've seen fast local riders who really tear up bikes go through 1 chain a month.

Rocky Mountain MC has their "Primary Drive" brand gold-plated racing chain, similiar to all the big name chains. If you can put your pride aside and not name brand shop, this chain is very good. The mechanical numbers on the chain strength are on par with all the other brands. It usually costs less than $50 for a full length 520 frame. I have switched from a longtime believer in Renthal and DiD chains, now I strictly run primary drive chains on my bikes and i also have been stocking them in my shop for serviced bikes.
RKExcel
11/28/2011 8:00am
Slow450 wrote:
I picked up an RK GB520MXZ4 Chain about three months ago and it seems like it has stretched as bad as the stock throw away that...

There are many factors that go into pre-mature chain wear. Did you change your sprockets the same time that you changed the chain? Was the chain installed too tight? Were you maintaining the chain? Is the sprocket alignment adjusted correctly?

If you still have the chain and the sprockets that it was installed with and are able to send me pictures we can try to determine what caused the wear you are describing. I might require the actual chain if I am unable to determine the problem from pictures alone. Please email pictures to info@rkexcelamerica.com.

Thanks
Farrah Bauer
Marketing & Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
11/28/2011 8:06am
RK chains are the best! They used to help our racing efforts, but we never ran anything that didn't give superior performance, just for reduced priced product!
Gabriel J
11/30/2011 6:48am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2011 6:50am
I have run the RK GB520MXU sealed chains on my '09 crf250r and now on my '10 crf450r. They are amazingly light, narrow, spin more freely than any other sealed chain I have personally tried, and are GOLD. You can't really beat that. On my 250 I put 40hrs on the chain (installed with brand new rental sprockets) with minimal adjustments, and it's still going strong for the bike's new owner. I have had to adjust the chain on the 450 more frequently, and I fully expected that with the added power and traction.

As long as they keep making them, I will keep buying them.

-Gabe
lumpy790
11/30/2011 8:30am
I have had great results/long life using a Moose O-ring chain......BTW its a Regina chain in a Moose box.....GOOD STUFF!
11/30/2011 4:36pm
I have the one of the Gold RK Chains on my bike, i noticed that it strected pretty fast myself. That was on a YZ 125 tho. I went back to D.I.D Gold and they last a long time if properly cleaned and lubricated.
Slow450
11/30/2011 8:50pm
Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty much going with what seems to be the consensus... 450s eat chains faster... Thanks for the offer RK... but it's not that big of a deal. Too bad Kawasaki isn't isn't taking your approach with the thread showing Derek Anderson blowing up his KXF from two angles.
FastGraphics
Fantasy
2938th
12/1/2011 7:21am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2011 7:24am
I have only read Vital for the past few years, but after reading this I had to sign up to reply.

Chains do not stretch!
They will appear longer when you pull the links apart, it will also appear to be shorter when you push the links together. This is due to the pins and bushings wearing out, pins diameter getting smaller and the bushings ID getting larger. The plates are exactly the same length as new.
If a good quality chain wears too fast, it is most likely from too little chain lube, or a poor quality lube, dirt material and conditions, along with misalignment/improper adjustment.

When a chain is properly adjusted, grab the chain on the rear sprocket in the middle, pulling away from the sprocket level to the swing arm. If you can pull the chain out of the sprocket teeth 40% or more, then it's time for a new chain. That is 40% of the depth of the sprocket teeth.
If you stick to the industry standard of 3% elongation (Not stretching) being the limit, you could get 2-3 chains per set of sprockets. After all, the worn chain is what wears out the sprocket.

Now, since I race every weekend, putting 3-4 hours of racing per day racing in 4 classes, I too wait longer than I should.
That said, I use the RK-MXU chains and Sunstar Works sprockets. You will not find a lighter, narrower, or longer lasting sealed chain anywhere. As far as sprockets go, I have abused all brands many times and Sunstar Works sprockets are my favorite.
I get 50+ hours out of my chains and sprockets (Using the ones mention), that is about 6 months for me. 85% of that time is racing time, not practicing or track days.
RKExcel
12/1/2011 7:49am
FastGraphics,
You are absolutely correct. The dirty truth is that even non-sealed chains require lubrication. Many riders just assume that because the chain doesn't have O-rings that the chain doesn't need to be lubed. ALL chains need proper maintenance and that especially includes lubrication to ensure the maximum wearlife of the chain.

Thanks for your comments!

Best regards,
Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America
lumpy790
12/1/2011 9:54am
chain wax after every time on the bike
kippy450
12/1/2011 2:52pm
RKExcel wrote:
FastGraphics, You are absolutely correct. The dirty truth is that even non-sealed chains require lubrication. Many riders just assume that because the chain doesn't have O-rings...
FastGraphics,
You are absolutely correct. The dirty truth is that even non-sealed chains require lubrication. Many riders just assume that because the chain doesn't have O-rings that the chain doesn't need to be lubed. ALL chains need proper maintenance and that especially includes lubrication to ensure the maximum wearlife of the chain.

Best regards,
Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America
Maybe you can help me put this debate to bed. ALL my friends SWEAR that chain lube is bad for your chain since it collects dirt which causes damage. They all SWEAR by WD-40.....I have been told that WD actually will dry things out instead of adequately lubricating. What type of chain lube would should be used to prolong chain life, or are my friend correct in their thinking?

Thanks
12/1/2011 3:27pm
RKExcel wrote:
FastGraphics, You are absolutely correct. The dirty truth is that even non-sealed chains require lubrication. Many riders just assume that because the chain doesn't have O-rings...
FastGraphics,

Best regards,
Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America
kippy450 wrote:
Maybe you can help me put this debate to bed. ALL my friends SWEAR that chain lube is bad for your chain since it collects dirt...
Maybe you can help me put this debate to bed. ALL my friends SWEAR that chain lube is bad for your chain since it collects dirt which causes damage. They all SWEAR by WD-40.....I have been told that WD actually will dry things out instead of adequately lubricating. What type of chain lube would should be used to prolong chain life, or are my friend correct in their thinking?

Thanks
I have always been told to clean the chain fully, then warm up the chain, approx. 5 mins of putting around. Not throwing to much dirt up or anything, Then i throw some Maxima Chain Wax, which is the way to go if you ask me. I will spray WD-40 on after i clean chain sometimes if i feel lazy so it wont rust. But thats just me. Bel Ray Makes some Chain wax that is supposely really good too.
RKExcel
12/1/2011 3:29pm
Kippy450,
We recommend using WD40 as a water dispersant after your chain has come in contact with water. We suggest that you follow up after applying WD40 with a quality chain lubricant regardless if the chain is sealed or not. If your chain IS a sealed chain make sure the lubricant you use is safe to use on O-ring chains. FYI - Some aerosols contain caustic chemicals that can actual damage the O-ring seals. Most of our sales guys use either SYN Chain Guard by Maxima or Belray but each has their own preference as to why they like those brands.

Unfortunately chains are a dirty grimy item and like it or not, to get the best life from the chain you're going to have to clean and lube it frequently.

Hope that clears up the debate.

Cheers
Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America
kippy450
12/1/2011 3:44pm
RKExcel wrote:
Kippy450, We recommend using WD40 as a water dispersant after your chain has come in contact with water. We suggest that you follow up after applying...
Kippy450,
We recommend using WD40 as a water dispersant after your chain has come in contact with water. We suggest that you follow up after applying WD40 with a quality chain lubricant regardless if the chain is sealed or not. If your chain IS a sealed chain make sure the lubricant you use is safe to use on O-ring chains. FYI - Some aerosols contain caustic chemicals that can actual damage the O-ring seals. Most of our sales guys use either SYN Chain Guard by Maxima or Belray but each has their own preference as to why they like those brands.

Unfortunately chains are a dirty grimy item and like it or not, to get the best life from the chain you're going to have to clean and lube it frequently.

Hope that clears up the debate.

Cheers
Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America
Thank you for the information. It should help a lot and it nice to hear for the horses mouth what appropriate chain care should look like. I wish more industry people would follow the forums like you do.

Thanks
Gabriel J
12/1/2011 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 10:54am
When my bike gets super dirty, I take my MXU chain off before the bike gets washed, and I have a plastic bowl that it fits in nicely coiled up. You can buy WD40 in 1 gal containers very cheap from Home Depot (A LOT less than aerosol), so I always have plenty around.

Pour just enough in the bowl to cover the chain.

A soft bristle brush/tooth brush and even the grimiest chain comes clean with minimal effort.

Soaking the chain in a bath of WD40 is kind of like throwing an air filter with No-Toil into a bucket of warm water with their powdered cleaner..It doesn't take much to clean to like new shape.

After the chain is clean, I use low pressure air to blow the excess WD40 off, wipe the chain with a rag, then reinstall it on the bike and throw on some Maxima chain lube.

Keeps the chain looking new, and with the chain off the bike I can hit the rear sprocket really good with the pressure washer and it is super clean.

-Gabe
12/2/2011 6:19am
Gabriel J wrote:
When my bike gets super dirty, I take my MXU chain off before the bike gets washed, and I have a plastic bowl that it fits...
When my bike gets super dirty, I take my MXU chain off before the bike gets washed, and I have a plastic bowl that it fits in nicely coiled up. You can buy WD40 in 1 gal containers very cheap from Home Depot (A LOT less than aerosol), so I always have plenty around.

A soft bristle brush/tooth brush and even the grimiest chain comes clean with minimal effort.

Soaking the chain in a bath of WD40 is kind of like throwing an air filter with No-Toil into a bucket of warm water with their powdered cleaner..It doesn't take much to clean to like new shape.

After the chain is clean, I use low pressure air to blow the excess WD40 off, wipe the chain with a rag, then reinstall it on the bike and throw on some Maxima chain lube.

Keeps the chain looking new, and with the chain off the bike I can hit the rear sprocket really good with the pressure washer and it is super clean.

-Gabe
that is prob the smartest method I have ever heard and sounds like you take very good care of your bike.
kippy450
12/2/2011 10:40am
Gabriel J wrote:
When my bike gets super dirty, I take my MXU chain off before the bike gets washed, and I have a plastic bowl that it fits...

-Gabe
Have you tried Maxima chain cleaner? Works great but man does it STINK! I have stated it many times the best degreaser is Shout laundry cleaner....spray it on and leave it fof 5 minutes, wash, and the chain is good as new...plus it doesn't stink as much as the Maxima chain cleaner.
Gabriel J
12/2/2011 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 11:14am
I updated my post with some pics (sorry that the quotes included all the pictures..thought I would get around that editing after..)...My chain wasn't really all that dirty but I was bored, and cant ride for a while..I use the WD40 because it's cheap in bulk and has a ton of uses, where the chain specific cleaners are a lot of cash for a small amount..And I actually kind of like how WD40 smells.

-Gabe
1/16/2015 6:23pm
Gabriel J wrote:

-Gabe
Does that chain last long? I currently run the RK 520EXW chain which lasted forever, but I want something lighter.
MX558
1/16/2015 6:45pm
I use wd40 also . It's funny when people question using wd for lube . That being said going cheap on chains is not a good idea , bad things can happen as in big crashes when they let go
Gabriel J
1/16/2015 8:18pm
Does that chain last long? I currently run the RK 520EXW chain which lasted forever, but I want something lighter.
Hell yes it does. It's also more narrow than a lot of cheaper o-ring chains, so it won't rub on engine cases. It's not super light, but on a 450 it doesn't matter!
1/16/2015 9:42pm
I have always used DID, but tried an RK chain on my CRF450 this past summer. Seems to be working good for me. I always wipe chain down and spray with Maxima chain wax after every ride.

mike
nytsmaC
1/16/2015 10:48pm
Good thread. I'm not aure if it's the exact same chain being sold under different labels, but RK has the lightest weight chain on the market. Sunstar has one that is the identical weight, with the same bright gold plates. I've used the Sunstar version. It did not last as long as my Regina RX3's have in the past, but I didn't expect it to. I got 17 hours out of it on my 144 before replacing it. I'll admit though that I was neglectful, I rarely WD'd it after washing the bike, and ran it dry on a few occasions.

I bought 2 more of them, I'm going to use Gabe's method this time around. It's easy enough to do.

Gabe, do you ever have issues with your masterlink clips failing from taking them on/off that frequently?

Post a reply to: RK Chains?

The Latest