Quick question please : 2012 KX450F / FMF power bomb ex ?

jeffro503
10/8/2014 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 9:19pm
I ordered up the full stainless mega bomb / stainless exhaust for my kawi 450 a few months ago. It's basically been just sitting here and I'm just now finding the ambition enough to put it on.

There are NO clamps in this exhaust kit. Between the header , mid-pipe and silencer. And on the motosport website they don't have any mention of any clamps being needed? Any of you guys that run the FMF exhaust.........do I need clamps in those two areas where the mid-pipe connects to the header and silencer? And if I do.....where do I get them?
|
jeffro503
10/8/2014 6:57pm
Hmmm? Ok so it looks like they ask you to use a high temp silicone between the header and mid-pipe........should I do that with the connection between the mid-pipe and silencer too?

Seems odd i wouldn't use clamps.
mxb2
10/8/2014 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 7:52pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hmmm? Ok so it looks like they ask you to use a high temp silicone between the header and mid-pipe........should I do that with the connection...
Hmmm? Ok so it looks like they ask you to use a high temp silicone between the header and mid-pipe........should I do that with the connection between the mid-pipe and silencer too?

i have the 4.1 fmf rct w megabomb on my 12 kawy 450 , bolts right up, i used the hi temp silicone grease on all parts that connect together. u will thank ur self when u take it apart. once it gets hot, it ezpands, and the silicone will make it easier to take it apart.
jeffro503
10/8/2014 8:35pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hmmm? Ok so it looks like they ask you to use a high temp silicone between the header and mid-pipe........should I do that with the connection...

mxb2 wrote:
i have the 4.1 fmf rct w megabomb on my 12 kawy 450 , bolts right up, i used the hi temp silicone grease on all...
i have the 4.1 fmf rct w megabomb on my 12 kawy 450 , bolts right up, i used the hi temp silicone grease on all parts that connect together. u will thank ur self when u take it apart. once it gets hot, it ezpands, and the silicone will make it easier to take it apart.
MXB.....so all i need is a high temp silicone grease to connect those two areas? No clamps needed?
10/8/2014 8:40pm
Thats so odd it doesnt need clamps try and contact fmf also check out my rm 125 complete rebuild and tell me what you think

The Shop

mxb2
10/8/2014 8:41pm
correct, and fmf, pro circuit sell the exhaust silicone. head bolts, mid bolt, and rear can snug them and have grease on bolt threads, good to go..and check first few rides. and rip it up, great pipe for that bike, i use renegade sx4, with a tokyo mods remap, screenless cage, and moto tassanari air boot. bike rips. motosport has the little tubes of silicone.
10/8/2014 8:47pm
I want to run c12 50/50 with 93 pump but the only place i can find it is in delaware and im in pa
jeffro503
10/8/2014 8:48pm
mxb2 wrote:
correct, and fmf, pro circuit sell the exhaust silicone. head bolts, mid bolt, and rear can snug them and have grease on bolt threads, good to...
correct, and fmf, pro circuit sell the exhaust silicone. head bolts, mid bolt, and rear can snug them and have grease on bolt threads, good to go..and check first few rides. and rip it up, great pipe for that bike, i use renegade sx4, with a tokyo mods remap, screenless cage, and moto tassanari air boot. bike rips. motosport has the little tubes of silicone.
Thank you for the tips brother! I have switched over to running the 1/2 and 1/2 Sunoco 110 race fuel and non-ethanol clean fuel. I also have a new JD jetting ECU programing box that will be going on this thing. A shop that I do a little business with has a guy who works there , that has quite a bit of experience with getting it to run well. Didn't need any extra power on that kawi for sure.....but that exhaust is supposed to help smooth out that " idle to 1/8th throttle " abrupt hit that the 12' suffers from. And from what I have read.....the Mega-bomb system does that , but also tends to run the bike slightly lean / hot. And hopefully the JD jetting ECU box can help me richen it up slightly.

I'm going to hit Baxter auto parts tomorrow morning and pick up a tube of some good high temp silicone for this thing. Don't have enough time to order something.
jeffro503
10/8/2014 8:51pm
I want to run c12 50/50 with 93 pump but the only place i can find it is in delaware and im in pa
Most bike shops carry race fuel. Mostly in gallons I believe. I got lucky and have a gas station very close to me that sells a lot of race fuel to the race cars in the area. I get it for $4.40 gal.....which is by far the lowest out of anyone in the entire Portland area. It's why they sell a lot. It stays fresh that way as well.
10/8/2014 9:02pm
Wow what a great deal on the gas i need to find a place like that and i shall call that place home lol
mxb2
10/8/2014 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 9:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Most bike shops carry race fuel. Mostly in gallons I believe. I got lucky and have a gas station very close to me that sells a...
Most bike shops carry race fuel. Mostly in gallons I believe. I got lucky and have a gas station very close to me that sells a lot of race fuel to the race cars in the area. I get it for $4.40 gal.....which is by far the lowest out of anyone in the entire Portland area. It's why they sell a lot. It stays fresh that way as well.
Cool jeffro, any heat silicone will help. and the megabomb works great 13/51 gearing. and i clean the pipe with scothbrite pad and simple green or wd40, hose off, dry then mist the pipe with wd40. and rest of bike with sc1 , smells great haha. plenty of oem parts, seat covers , graphics if ya ever need any. Good luck on that bike, its great. and the fuel question , check their sites, type in zipcode for nearest supplier and contact them. vp, renegade, ti lube, dragon all good stuff, oxygen gets u the crisp power.
mxb2
10/8/2014 9:19pm
Wow what a great deal on the gas i need to find a place like that and i shall call that place home lol
Upper end race fuel is sold, 5, 15,55 gallon cans. of course the bigger you buy , the more you save, but storing it mite be a problem if you dont have a garage, 5 gallon cans easier to move store and carry imo. , keep it stored in a cool dark place, off the ground if possible.

Post a reply to: Quick question please : 2012 KX450F / FMF power bomb ex ?

The Latest