Question for the dads kx 65.

Mungusman
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 6:00am
I just purchased my boy a 2011 kx 65. We've come off KTM 65's. I was tired of the KTM, due to it nickel and dimed me to death, parts were hard to get in my area, so I got the kx, and my boy never rode it before, he was fast and aggressive on his KTM. So I figured no problem he'll be fine on the kx. We went to arenacross, and he had a hard time on the bike. Mind you the first time he rode it, had no practice time, threw him right into the race. I did have the suspension professionaly done he said it was nice. The problem is he had a hard time getting power out of the corners. The KTM had a powervalve, and had good low power. I realize the kx does not have the powervalve. I don't want go through the porting thing, just an easy fix, stock gearing is 13/47 do you think 48 or 49? And would a moose torque spacer work. I've heard 49 with the spacer is a good setup. The bike has pro circuit pipe and R304 silencer, v-force 3 reeds, just wanting to know if any body knew of any thing better. I won't do the washer trick, don't want to restrict it that much. Or does he just need more seat time? He's a very good rider, like I said. Maybe just needs to get used to the bike more. Maybe I haven't given him enough time to adapt. He's begging me to go back to KTM. I told him switching bikes all the time isn't the answer. Thanks for reading!!!
|
slipdog
2/11/2015 7:22pm
The cylinder needs to be ported by someone that knows kx65 motors and can grind in sub intake ports across the back of the skirt. Without that the kx65 motor will never come close to running a like the KTM.
PADDY'S LAD
2/11/2015 9:23pm
Two words, Tom Morgan.
Call him, he can make that bike scream.

Cheers, Pat
Jakes Dad
2/12/2015 3:33am
Porting is a must, but a trick told to me by some Team Green Dad's back in the day was stock pipe with 1 1/2" cut off silencer best trick for low end. I also used Boyeson fiberglass (I think) reeds the softer ones opened a little quicker to help down low also.
brocsdad
2/12/2015 8:34am
Question? What problems did you have with the KTM 65? We had (4) and never had a problem.

You can mod the KX all you want but it will never have the wide easy to use powerband the KTM does. Honestly the Cobra with a PV is a better choice over the KX. The 65 needs updated really bad and why they didn’t update the KX when they revamped the 85 is beyond me.

I spoke with several builders a few years back because the I could buy the (2) kx’s for the price of (1) KTM and they told me it was like taking a knife to a gun fight. They can make it faster and easier to ride but it’s a tradeoff. You can gain bottom but will need to short shift due to top end loss and vice versa.

The Shop

Tracktor
2/12/2015 9:44am
There was a pretty fast local kid here that my boy raced against that got a sponsorship from a local Kawasaki dealership and switched from KTM to KX. He stopped showing up much so I asked his dad what was going on. He told me the kids was so scared to ride the KX fast that he decided to pretty much stop racing altogether. We had a similar experience with my oldest boy before I knew any better. We have owned all three brands and I would have one of my boys ride MX on a KX65 if it was given to us. Our KTM's & Cobras have been pretty much bulletproof....................I know, not what you were asking so all I can say is good luck!.......
2/12/2015 3:00pm
You might try going the other way, try a tooth smaller. That should mellow out the hit at least till he gets use to the power/hit.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
2/12/2015 8:59pm
The kawi vs ktm motor is way different. You can without doing any mods be just as fast imo. Your kid just needs to feel at home on the bike. If he is having fun he is prob going to go fast.
Mungusman
2/16/2015 6:04pm
Thanks for all the replies, I think I was jumping the gun on this whole thing. Like I said, he never rode the bike before, and he is a very good rider, who I know can adapt to this bike easily. He just needs more seat time to get used to it. Then after some seat time I'll make my mind up on what changes he may need. If any?
Sixeightone
2/17/2015 7:03am
Kind of foolish to switch to kawi in my opinion, People always say how ktms nickel and dime them to death and I see this every day working at a ktm dealer. 98% of the time it is due to poor maintenance. But to each their own. I've ridden my 14 ktm 250sx for 35 hours and never have any issues with it. My 12 250sx had over 100 hours on it and I never even had to change the crank.. In my opinion the KX65 is an entry level mx bike. They only way to make them fast is to send the motor out and have it ported and the head cut. The silencer isn't going to wake it up much. Reeds and a bigger rear sprocket would probably benefit the most, more than anything besides a good port job. Hopefully you make the switch back to ktm! Make sure you buy a new one next time and do all the maintenance and you should have zero problems!
Dragoo168
2/17/2015 7:31am
Mungusman wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I think I was jumping the gun on this whole thing. Like I said, he never rode the bike before, and...
Thanks for all the replies, I think I was jumping the gun on this whole thing. Like I said, he never rode the bike before, and he is a very good rider, who I know can adapt to this bike easily. He just needs more seat time to get used to it. Then after some seat time I'll make my mind up on what changes he may need. If any?
Sounds like it's time to teach him to corner under power, throttle control, and learn to use the power where it's at. Now that he can't "lug" out of the corners, he'll be a lot faster by learning that he has to keep his momentum up, and once he learns to ride within the power band, he'll smooth out,...theoretically.
Mungusman
2/19/2015 6:00am
681, his KTM was well maintained, it was a 2009, 1st year for the powervalve. I'm not the only guy I heard complain about the 09. 1st year PV, were nothing but trouble I heard. Then I found out, should have listened. I could have bought another one, for the money I put into that one. It left us sit more than once at the line. I cleaned/changed filter every ride, changed oil every 2 rides. I just think I got a bad one. It just left a bad taste in my mouth for buying another one. Also where I live,its hard to get parts. I'll see how this KX goes for a little bit, and then go from there. I got the suspension done, v-force 3 reeds,PC pipe/silencer, gonna change the gearing also. Hoping it will be fine. If not I might go back to the Orange bike.

Post a reply to: Question for the dads kx 65.

The Latest