Pro wheel quality.

Skerby
Edited Date/Time 12/25/2014 1:09pm
Has anyone had good luck with pro wheels lately? They are close to half the price of excels and I saw a 300+ pound vet rider with a set laced up.

I ride at a B class level and am pretty hard on wheels. I remember a lot of Pro wheels breaking at races back in the day and Im wondering if they have gotten any better.
|
mxb2
12/14/2014 10:49am
Junk, just like tusk, warp, dna, poor quality, hard to get parts, get what ya pay for. did ltx, did stx a60 s best rims. if you on a budget , sm pro makes a decent rim, hub also. There is a reason they are cheaper in price.
ebers
Fantasy
250th
12/14/2014 12:16pm
I hardly ever chime in on these topics... But I'll give my 2 cents.
I'm a 300lb A turning AA rider offroad and spend the majority of my riding time during the week on a moto track. I'm a bull in a china shop in the woods, and I seem to get around a moto track ok (just no 100ft hucks out of me). I'm rough on stuff.
That being said, in the last 2 seasons, Pro Wheel rims laced to stock hubs have held up just fine, and I've had one front Warp9 wheel hold up just fine too.
The "junk" is fine for the average joe IMO.
mxb2
12/14/2014 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 1:26pm
ebers wrote:
I hardly ever chime in on these topics... But I'll give my 2 cents. I'm a 300lb A turning AA rider offroad and spend the majority...
I hardly ever chime in on these topics... But I'll give my 2 cents.
I'm a 300lb A turning AA rider offroad and spend the majority of my riding time during the week on a moto track. I'm a bull in a china shop in the woods, and I seem to get around a moto track ok (just no 100ft hucks out of me). I'm rough on stuff.
That being said, in the last 2 seasons, Pro Wheel rims laced to stock hubs have held up just fine, and I've had one front Warp9 wheel hold up just fine too.
The "junk" is fine for the average joe IMO.
I am going from other riders opinions and my experience. Could be rider , error on wheel care but i wont take a chance to save $500.or time saved, customer service, send wheel back lack of parts available , etc. cool you had good luck. you are one of the few, and rad hubs are decent. Like i said most of the time, ya get what ya pay for. .
Skerby
12/14/2014 2:00pm
I found a better deal on excels from BTO. Based on experiences I've had with Moose rims, I am gonna stick with excel.

The Shop

mxb2
12/14/2014 4:02pm
Skerby wrote:
I found a better deal on excels from BTO. Based on experiences I've had with Moose rims, I am gonna stick with excel.
Good choice.
YZ125H1
12/14/2014 4:41pm
My crf has prowheel rims they are black. So far a decent rim I don't hit monster jumps or anything so cannot say anything about durability/strength. The paint is getting chipped by small rocks on the rim though.
JH911
12/15/2014 12:55pm
Junk.......I'm a NW guy too and pretty sure I've seen you at Horn. My advise stay away from ProWheel rims and spokes! I've had my own personal battles with them and in the end they basically gave me the bird. That was just a couple years ago. Cheap Chinese stuff that they sell for more than DNA and Warp 9, but less than DID or Excel. If your hard on wheels like I am stick to the quality stuff and you won't regret it. If you want a great deal on some DID or Excel complete wheels hit me up and I'll give you my wheel guys #. If your looking for just rims I could probably help point you in direction.
Skerby
12/15/2014 5:45pm
JH911 wrote:
Junk.......I'm a NW guy too and pretty sure I've seen you at Horn. My advise stay away from ProWheel rims and spokes! I've had my own...
Junk.......I'm a NW guy too and pretty sure I've seen you at Horn. My advise stay away from ProWheel rims and spokes! I've had my own personal battles with them and in the end they basically gave me the bird. That was just a couple years ago. Cheap Chinese stuff that they sell for more than DNA and Warp 9, but less than DID or Excel. If your hard on wheels like I am stick to the quality stuff and you won't regret it. If you want a great deal on some DID or Excel complete wheels hit me up and I'll give you my wheel guys #. If your looking for just rims I could probably help point you in direction.
I ride there a lot, I already ordered the rims but Ill keep you in mind if I ever need a new set of wheels.

Thanks man.
captmoto
12/15/2014 6:08pm
I have DNA wheels on my 05 CR250. the bike was well used and looked like a desert play-race bike The wheels are straight with no dent's. I have been riding it for a couple years with no problems. I've heard that it was an early problem with DNA but they are good to go for regular joes. I think MXA mentioned using Warp on a rebuild project with no problems.
Why not have your hubs laced to A60's and save a bunch of money?
Hondas4Life3
12/15/2014 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2014 6:46pm
I had a ProWheel front rim on my Cr85rb and it held up great. I also have talon/excel wheels on my cr and a complete warp 9 rear wheel with a excel front wheel/ warp 9 hub on my kx. IMO Excel or D.I.D. is the way to go. I would stay away from warp 9.. never had one break or anything but the anodizing on mine has faded pretty bad while the excel anodizing has not faded at all.

A60 Excel rims and D.I.D dirtstar rims are my two choices. If A60's or D.I.D rims are too expensive regular excel rims are great too (have them on my bike) I would choose ProWheel over Warp 9 also. I have no experience with DNA wheels.

As far as hubs go you can send off the stock hubs to get turned down if you are on a budget.
Also i would go with Excel spokes/nipples. The nipples have a different design that uses a special wrench to tighten them and IMO its a much better design than the regular spoke nipples because you can't round them off and they are a lot harder to seize on the spoke.
mx621
12/15/2014 7:00pm
Pro wheels = junk. I Learned the hard way. Split both front and rear wheels at the seam. Maybe ok for trail guys and c riders...
Motofinne
12/16/2014 5:57am
SM pro wheels have a good reputation, i should get my set just before christmas for my RM 250.
Digger29
12/16/2014 6:19am
mx621 wrote:
Pro wheels = junk. I Learned the hard way. Split both front and rear wheels at the seam. Maybe ok for trail guys and c riders...
Took 9yrs off from racing and came back in 2010. I was building wheels for my 07 RM250 and had never heard of Pro Wheel but they seemed like decent rims so I bought them. I bought a set of stock hubs on eBay I and spun them down & polished them. I used Excel spline drive spokes and then after about 5 mins of research I bought Pro Wheel yellow rims. Raced the final race of the yr on them here in New England and then went to Florida. The wheels had under 2 hrs on them and this happened on the first day in Florida. Stay away from Pro Wheels anything.
mx621
12/16/2014 7:01am
mx621 wrote:
Digger29 wrote:
Took 9yrs off from racing and came back in 2010. I was building wheels for my 07 RM250 and had never heard of Pro Wheel but...
Took 9yrs off from racing and came back in 2010. I was building wheels for my 07 RM250 and had never heard of Pro Wheel but they seemed like decent rims so I bought them. I bought a set of stock hubs on eBay I and spun them down & polished them. I used Excel spline drive spokes and then after about 5 mins of research I bought Pro Wheel yellow rims. Raced the final race of the yr on them here in New England and then went to Florida. The wheels had under 2 hrs on them and this happened on the first day in Florida. Stay away from Pro Wheels anything.
mine started to do that in prolly 10 rides....
Skerby
12/16/2014 10:44am
I have a lot of time around manual lathes and mills, and am fairly certain I would destroy either the hub or the lathe in the process of turning it.

I could model the hub in Solidworks and write toolpaths with CadCam but I don't have access to a CNC lathe anymore.

I know a powder coat guy and will probably go that route.

For everyone that says to go with A60's; Im replacing A60's and have no intention of paying for them again.
mxb2
12/16/2014 1:07pm
I just put did ltx rims, nfi hubs with bulldog spikes on my 13 450 rmz, great products. and look sick also..
Skerby
12/25/2014 1:09pm
Finished the build! Pictures do not do them justice.

Post a reply to: Pro wheel quality.

The Latest