Pro-X pistons....

Dtat720
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 7:13pm

Bought a yz250, 05 model a month or so ago. Bike came with tons of receipts and service history. So i felt good about adding it to my stable with my other yz250's. The last service was a top end. Receipts showed early April, all oem. It was done, new nuts for the cylinder, new cap nuts for the head, you could see a new base gasket. But, it wasnt oem parts....

Ive put maybe, 12 hours on the bike strictly mx, race gas, jetting is spot on. Fmf fatty, carbon reeds, 178 main, 48 pilot, stock needle 2nd clip down. No toil filter changed every ride.

Wtf caused this to happen?!! No lean condition happened. I was coming around a fairly fast left hand sweeper in 3rd gear and laid it on coming out and POP! Pulled the clutch and shut it down asap. Pulled the plug and balls of the piston were in the plug. Pics above were from the tear down.

So pissed....
|
scooter5002
6/18/2015 7:26pm
Are you sure the previous owner did a complete top end, or rings only? Piston looks like it has more than 12 hours on it, by the look of the skirt.
Paw Paw 271
6/18/2015 7:49pm
I have to agree with previous statements.
I see a lot of piston slap signs.
It was either older than stated ( more hours) or a poor fit.
Check the cylinder size.

Paw Paw
6/18/2015 10:31pm
Always use at least the C piston on older bikes / bores, preferably a D. If an A or B was used, the piston was probably rocking until it said enough.

Not sure about everyone else, but that one needs to come apart totally, IMO. Crank rebuild ,as well, as there is surely tramp /stray metal in the big end rod bearing / pin area.

The Shop

markit
6/19/2015 12:49am
Pro x is ART, Yamaha oem. As above there is no way that happen in 15hrs.
cwtoyota
6/19/2015 4:21am
I have seen the skirts crack on cast pistons in the YZ250 many times. That's where they fail when they wear out way beyond spec.

That said, I agree with all the above comments.
Pro-X is a decent piston, they don't do that in 12 hours if everything else is right.

That looks like tons of hours or a bad cylinder or air-filter issues judging by the pics.

Just to rule out detonation:
On the YZ250, pump gas can cause detonation on a stock engine and stock jetting under the wrong conditions.
Check the outside edges of the head for roughness and pitting. If there is pitting (even a tiny bit) in the head, you have detonation. On the YZ250 that pitting always shows up around the perimeter of the squish band.

Get that bore checked by a machinist if it's not obviously in need of a re-plate.
Dtat720
6/19/2015 4:44am
Fortunate for me, i am a machinist and run my family business. Cylinder runs out within spec thankfully. Plating looks good under the camera, no flaking or pitting or scoring which i dont know how, but im good with it!

Thing with this bike and why i didnt question it, i know they guys nephew and know him somewhat through mutual riding friends. Everyone has always said he is meticulous and anal about his bikes. So with the paperwork and visual cues, i didnt question it at all. Until she grenaded.

I split the cases and checked runout on the crank and rod/ bearing. Down there, new seals where in, which leads me to think he knew she was on her way out and wanted to unload it before she blew.

In 30+ years of riding, this is the first piston that has let go like this on me. Ive only had 1 other actual piston failure and that was on a 125 being murdered on a daily basis! So seeing this is new to me in a way.

Thanks guys, sounds like i got duped by paperwork and bought a lemon. But she will be lemonade after today.
BAMX
6/19/2015 3:45pm
Looking at the second pic, that piston has way more than 12 hours on it. Looking at the fact that the machining marks are long gone at the front and rear of the piston, I would guess that the thing was way worn out and it caused the piston to come apart . IMO....ProX are great pistons. Every one that I have ever bought have been made by the OE supplier ART.

Now the bad news, I would also look at doing the bottom end since you just ran a bunch of Al through it. Plus, that thing looks to have a lot of hours on it.

The good news is that it is a 2 stroke and the cost of repair on something like this is 1/3 of that if you had grenaded a 450.
Dtat720
6/19/2015 4:16pm
BAMX wrote:
Looking at the second pic, that piston has way more than 12 hours on it. Looking at the fact that the machining marks are long gone...
Looking at the second pic, that piston has way more than 12 hours on it. Looking at the fact that the machining marks are long gone at the front and rear of the piston, I would guess that the thing was way worn out and it caused the piston to come apart . IMO....ProX are great pistons. Every one that I have ever bought have been made by the OE supplier ART.

Now the bad news, I would also look at doing the bottom end since you just ran a bunch of Al through it. Plus, that thing looks to have a lot of hours on it.

The good news is that it is a 2 stroke and the cost of repair on something like this is 1/3 of that if you had grenaded a 450.
Ive split the cases and checked everything, cleaned it up, etc. there was very little aluminum in the bottom end, most all of it was in the intake and trashed the carbon reeds. There was one piece wedged in the rod that didnt reach the bearing. The crank bearings were clean, i removed them and cleaned and treated them with tungsten disulfide. Seals were new, gaskets were new, clutch was new. Seems the piston was the only piece that wasnt new.

Like i stated earlier, i run a machine shop and have every tool at my disposal to do anything needed. Ive inspected everything on it, i find myself veey fortunate that the piston/ rings and reed cage were the only things damaged.

Ive already assembled it with oem pieces, D size piston was perfect match. Compression is now 240 and she fires up first kick and sounds nice and crisp.
racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
6/20/2015 1:27pm
Pro-X is good stuff. ART, and if everything is checked out it will last you a long time and run good.
BobPA
6/21/2015 7:13pm
May have sucked some dirt at one point

Post a reply to: Pro-X pistons....

The Latest