Pro Circuit YZ250 2 stroke pipes

MotoX85
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 8:54am
Is anyone having issues with these pipes bending. I had a Platinum 2 and crashed with it but it was a nose dive type crashed but the pipe was bent into the frame and creased pretty bad where it starts into the expansion chamber. I ordered another one, this one a Platinum 1 (thinner metal but basically the same pipe) Got it last week and raced last weekend on it. Got the bike back to the house to wash it and the pipe was bent the very same way the other pipe was bent. Pushed into the frame on the left side and creased badly where its starts the expansion. Well this time the bike never hit the ground and made no contact with any other bike or object, I know this for a fact. The only thing I can think of is (I Wish) that around the corners the bike was getting low enough that it was hitting the ground or rut or whatever. Pipes should not be bending by bar dragging as I had been running the stock pipe for several months with absolutely no bending.

Anyone have any input or fix. Pipes are expensive and this will be my third one that I will probably switch if its going to happen again but the Pro Circuit pipe is by far the best pipe for the YZ smoker.
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/10/2015 8:06am
I run the FMF Factory Fatty on my YZ250. Haven't had any bending issues at all. And I think the regular Fatty is stronger, made of thicker metal.

I tried a PC pipe and shorty on my bike. Didn't like it as much as the FMF setup. Everyone will tell you the PC has less bottom and mid than FMF but awesome top end. To me, it definitely had less bottom and mid but the top wasn't as much better as I was expecting it to be. And I just didn't like the "feel" of how it came on. It had a weird sound compared tot he FMF, almost a chainsaw buzz sound that made the bike seem ratty. The extra top end it had was only the extreme over-rev. Way up high where it would only be used on really big tracks or big hills. Kind of a waste on most usual sized tracks unless you are a real revver that only uses 2nd and 3rd gear.
MotoX85
4/10/2015 8:29am
FGR01 wrote:
I run the FMF Factory Fatty on my YZ250. Haven't had any bending issues at all. And I think the regular Fatty is stronger, made of...
I run the FMF Factory Fatty on my YZ250. Haven't had any bending issues at all. And I think the regular Fatty is stronger, made of thicker metal.

I tried a PC pipe and shorty on my bike. Didn't like it as much as the FMF setup. Everyone will tell you the PC has less bottom and mid than FMF but awesome top end. To me, it definitely had less bottom and mid but the top wasn't as much better as I was expecting it to be. And I just didn't like the "feel" of how it came on. It had a weird sound compared tot he FMF, almost a chainsaw buzz sound that made the bike seem ratty. The extra top end it had was only the extreme over-rev. Way up high where it would only be used on really big tracks or big hills. Kind of a waste on most usual sized tracks unless you are a real revver that only uses 2nd and 3rd gear.
We had a fatty on our 13 and it is a great pipe but my son is a mid and top rider and we had to make the switch. But I totally agree with your post, we loved the pipe when he was first starting and it NEVER bent, EVER!!!!!!! We just did a comparison a few months back with same bike and the Pro Circuit and FMF and the Pro Circuit makes a ton more power from mid to top. I would say several HP at least.

But its all about preference and if you are happy with the power of the FMF, that's all that matters. I actually wish the FMF had the mid to top numbers of the PRO Circuit cause we would have NEVER switched.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/10/2015 8:54am
Yeah, if the FMF had the over-rev of the PC, it would be an unreal pipe. The FMF does fall of a little at the extreme top. I've found it's important to tune the overrev with the mainjet size. I'm old and I don't have time to be doing top ends so I dont rev too much! hahaa

Post a reply to: Pro Circuit YZ250 2 stroke pipes

The Latest