Primary Drive O-ring Chain

Edited Date/Time 1/24/2014 6:53pm
I just recently purchased a new primary drive o-ring chain and put it on my yz. After 3 rides the chain fell apart at the master link area. The same thing happened to a friend of mine with his crf250f. I couldn't find the old master link so I decided to reconnect the chain without it. My question is, will the chain be stronger or weaker without the master link? I have also concluded that I will never buy an O-ring chain again, they are a pain in the butt!
|
1/24/2014 9:32am
OK, 1st thing I believe you mean final drive, primary drive chain\ is what was used on Maico's driving the clutch from the crankshaft. If you install any new chain on wore out sprockets it will fail quickly, same if you do not service (lube& adjust) it.
1/24/2014 9:39am
OK, 1st thing I believe you mean final drive, primary drive chain\ is what was used on Maico's driving the clutch from the crankshaft. If you...
OK, 1st thing I believe you mean final drive, primary drive chain\ is what was used on Maico's driving the clutch from the crankshaft. If you install any new chain on wore out sprockets it will fail quickly, same if you do not service (lube& adjust) it.
Nope, its a Primary Drive O-ring chain that I bought at rockymountainmc.comWink I just installed a brand new front and rear primary drive sprockets as well, and the chain was well oiled
colson973
1/24/2014 9:43am
I have used a bunch of these. Are you 100% sure you pressed the masterlink on all the way? These normally require a special pressing tool. The plate on the masterlink pressed on when using an oring. It doesnt just slid on like a normal chain. So if you didnt have that pressed on all the away and your clip didnt get seated right that could explain it falling apart.

Primary drive chains arent top shelf but I have had pretty good luck with them.
1/24/2014 9:59am
colson973 wrote:
I have used a bunch of these. Are you 100% sure you pressed the masterlink on all the way? These normally require a special pressing tool...
I have used a bunch of these. Are you 100% sure you pressed the masterlink on all the way? These normally require a special pressing tool. The plate on the masterlink pressed on when using an oring. It doesnt just slid on like a normal chain. So if you didnt have that pressed on all the away and your clip didnt get seated right that could explain it falling apart.

From what I could tell I had the link properly seated and the master link slid into place correctly. I used needle nose pliers, which could have been my problem. I've done it before on my 125 and it never broke off though. I honestly feel like the chain will be much stronger now that I connected the chain back together without the master link. I used a heavy duty chain tool to reconnect it, so I know its on there properly.

The Shop

colson973
1/24/2014 1:15pm
colson973 wrote:
I have used a bunch of these. Are you 100% sure you pressed the masterlink on all the way? These normally require a special pressing tool...

From what I could tell I had the link properly seated and the master link slid into place correctly. I used needle nose pliers, which could...
From what I could tell I had the link properly seated and the master link slid into place correctly. I used needle nose pliers, which could have been my problem. I've done it before on my 125 and it never broke off though. I honestly feel like the chain will be much stronger now that I connected the chain back together without the master link. I used a heavy duty chain tool to reconnect it, so I know its on there properly.
Should be good now then. I know I have done a bunch of these orings and the only way I can get then together properly is with a chain press tool or a c-clamp and nut to push the plate on. I have never done an oring chain that the side plate just goes on using a needle nose. It usually take some work to get it pressed on. Good luck with it hope it hold for you now!
1/24/2014 5:45pm
colson973 wrote:
Should be good now then. I know I have done a bunch of these orings and the only way I can get then together properly is...
Should be good now then. I know I have done a bunch of these orings and the only way I can get then together properly is with a chain press tool or a c-clamp and nut to push the plate on. I have never done an oring chain that the side plate just goes on using a needle nose. It usually take some work to get it pressed on. Good luck with it hope it hold for you now!
Same here. When this one wears out, I'm done with o-ring chains. I'm going back to just a regular old quality chain.

Know something else I figured out that works here in Florida? Put your new chain on and hose it down good with your favorite lube. Ride. Hose it some more. Ride. Scrub it with a wire brush before every ride and then hose with lube.

I kept going through chains and sprockets way too fast. After almost every ride I'd take my chain off and thoroughly degrease and clean it, yet I kept wearing the darn things out in 2 or 3 months. I started asking around and some guys were getting months and months out of their chain and sprockets. "What's the secret?" says I.

The response was invariably something like, "I just wire brush it and lube it and keep it tensioned right." My theory is that once a quality lube gets in the pins and seals them up, the Florida sand just sticks around them and actually helps seal up the chain. When you completely degrease and clean the chain after every ride - more fine sand keeps getting in there and wearing on stuff.

It's just a theory, but my chain and sprockets last a long time now.
Wandell
1/24/2014 6:53pm
I too have used a couple of the Primary Drive brand chain and sprocket combos and have always had good luck with them. The only O-ring version I ever used was on an ATV. I was always told that O-ring chains are sealed with lubricant inside and only need something applied to prevent surface rust. I only used WD40 on it and it lasted as long as I owned the ATV and was in excellent shape when I sold it.

Post a reply to: Primary Drive O-ring Chain

The Latest