Pipe Repair Kit - where can I get one domestically?

T.Page
5/7/2015 4:40am
This is similar to what i use. I put two clamps on and about 30 psi. The heat usually raises pressure by ten psi. I have a regulator with tire chuck on one end of the pipe to keep constant pressure and a pressure gauge on the other end to monitor internal pressure. Fixes pipe great, easy to use and i have never blown anything up. Just use two hose clamps and clean/degrease the pipe so the ends don't fly off.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/FloBlocTestPlugs.php
Lajnus
5/7/2015 5:04am
You can build one yourself if you're a handy man.
5/7/2015 5:40am
Skerby wrote:
That kit is rad! Me and my dad used to use a couple expanding rubber plugs, we put a valve stem in one and would pressurize...
That kit is rad! Me and my dad used to use a couple expanding rubber plugs, we put a valve stem in one and would pressurize the pipe to around 120 psi.
Even after wiring the crap out of the plugs we still had about 5 of them come shooting out at mach 10. Someone should have been grievously injured, but we are all still here.

We started by using a propane torch, once we moved on to OA we were able to lower the pressure to like 50psi.
NHtoWA421 wrote:
Christ. haha this randomly brought back memories of my dad and i making a potato cannon in the garage, and thinking it was a good idea...
Christ. haha
this randomly brought back memories of my dad and i making a potato cannon in the garage, and thinking it was a good idea to touch that sucker off inside. POW! big ass hole in the wall of the garage.... thats when first heard the phrase "cam, there are some things that you just cant tell mom.... "
Smile
Micahdogg
5/7/2015 7:31am
I had a little more luck last night. I set it to 60 psi and used a body hammer to tap around the dents and they came out further. I still haven't been able to pull a dent completely, but I'm getting them pretty darn close. Maybe I should switch my propane torch to mapp gas or something?

I was also thinking about tack welding a bolt to the center of each dent to give me something to pull on, but thats just more work and I don't want to resort to that.

The Shop

Sixeightone
5/7/2015 1:55pm
Mapp gas does work much better, heats it up a little quicker so just pay attention to your pressures!
5/7/2015 2:12pm
Never done it myself, but had a guy do my pipe years ago. He told me he used a rubber expansion plug in each end, and...
Never done it myself, but had a guy do my pipe years ago. He told me he used a rubber expansion plug in each end, and phosgene gas to fill the pipe, which expands quickly under heat. He took every little nick out of my pipe, even ones I wasn't concerned with. Aside from the discolouration from the heat applied, the pipe looked brand new. I understand the gas is a little nasty to work with, so get some expert opinions on that. Would think he also had a fitting in one plug to get the gas into the sealed pipe.
I work with Phosgene every day. You don't want it near you or in your pipe.
5/7/2015 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2015 2:18pm
I built a dent removal tool similar to the one you pictured, but a little cruder. Works very well and I just use a propane torch with map gas. I typically work about 80PSI, but sometimes get up to a 100PSI while working. Depends on how dirty the pipe is.

I'm not recommending that you even try this at home.
mylesc
5/11/2015 1:55pm
I lucked up and found an OEM pipe for my KX125 restoration. It has a couple of small dents in the largest section of the expansion...
I lucked up and found an OEM pipe for my KX125 restoration. It has a couple of small dents in the largest section of the expansion chamber. I found a place online (in Oregon) that will fix dents for $60, plus shipping. I ride two stokes so there is a chance I'd need to do this again.. and again.. and the $60+shipping begins to add up quick.

Then I saw this tool which is only sold in Europe:
http://www.24mx.com/pipe-repair-kit

This one is specifically made for pipe repair and looks heavy duty, and pretty easy to use.

Where can I buy a kit just like the parts below, in America?

These are commonly called "Exhaust Blow Out" kits.

Another option is this one: https://www.catalyst-findit.co.uk/index.php?c=d2f5d910014f2842ada1bbc16…

It does the same thing as the 24MX kit except that it is made out of steel instead of Aluminum and is much cheaper. The catalyst website says that they ship internationally, so send them an email to see how much shipping would be. Good luck.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/13/2015 3:23pm
I lucked up and found an OEM pipe for my KX125 restoration. It has a couple of small dents in the largest section of the expansion...
I lucked up and found an OEM pipe for my KX125 restoration. It has a couple of small dents in the largest section of the expansion chamber. I found a place online (in Oregon) that will fix dents for $60, plus shipping. I ride two stokes so there is a chance I'd need to do this again.. and again.. and the $60+shipping begins to add up quick.

Then I saw this tool which is only sold in Europe:
http://www.24mx.com/pipe-repair-kit

This one is specifically made for pipe repair and looks heavy duty, and pretty easy to use.

Where can I buy a kit just like the parts below, in America?

I can make this for you if you want,
Send me a pm
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/13/2015 9:10pm
Guess i should have checked this is quite an old thread.
Sucks interwebbing from your phone! Unsure
Micahdogg
5/14/2015 6:49am
I was just using it to share some tips and tricks at this point.

As for me, i've finally given up on my dent removal. I've been working in the 80-100 psi range on a stock RM250 pipe. The highest pressure I saw was 115 psi. I don't know what the limits are, but I feel like I could have gone to 150. Just not sure at what point you are removing dents vs. building a bomb.
5/15/2015 11:46am
I use rubber plugs that you can find in the plumbing department at lowes or menards. Modified some vice grips to clamp the plug into the header. I drill out the middle of the rubber plug that goes in the tail end of the pipe and put a long threaded valve stem in it. Slide it in the pipe and tighten the nut so it's tight. It will force the rubber to expand and make for a tight fit but that's not enough. I follow that up with wire tieing the plug so it can't shoot out.

Then I use an air chuck with a gauge and fill it up to 60psi. Some of the damage will come out with just air and if the pipe is twisted you can see it twist back. I'll heat up the damaged area in a circular motion(cutting head on the torch) and the dents raise up. Then I use a flat faced body hammer to fine tune the dent to finish it off.

Works great. Much faster than starting at 5 psi. I've gone as far as 90psi and the worst thing that happened is the welds crack when you get them cherry red. It's usually only 1/4" of weld that fails and it wasn't anything to worry about.

Always wear saftey glasses and even a face sheild. Even though I haven't had and thing bad happen it doesn't mean it can't happen.

If your dealing with a unplated pipe take some 180 grit wet or dry sand paper and sand out the pipe wet. Then follow that up with some 360 wet or dry sand paper wet. Dry off and spray some 6in1 on it and wipe it down with a micro fiber. Pipe will look bad ass when your done.
7/2/2015 7:43am
I can see that that is the concept behind the kit, but I can't see how it would perform in that way. The power that draws the place out of the inventory tube is the power of the rubberized hose itself taking on the inventory place. The point that there is a steel place further into the hose and held to it isn't doing anything to nullify that. So it better to ask an expert with the help of Hotfrog Bike Repair Showcase.
DTHA70
7/3/2015 3:26pm
I can see that that is the concept behind the kit, but I can't see how it would perform in that way. The power that draws...
I can see that that is the concept behind the kit, but I can't see how it would perform in that way. The power that draws the place out of the inventory tube is the power of the rubberized hose itself taking on the inventory place. The point that there is a steel place further into the hose and held to it isn't doing anything to nullify that. So it better to ask an expert with the help of Hotfrog Bike Repair Showcase.
meth is a helluva drug

Post a reply to: Pipe Repair Kit - where can I get one domestically?

The Latest