OEM Parts for a shock rebuild

Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 5:51am
So I was gonna order a top end rebuild kit, but it turns out going 100% OEM is the way to go and is much cheaper. In addition to a top end and water pump rebuild, the shock needs some work too. I was wondering what is required out of the OEM parts. I haven't done a rear shock before so it's difficult to see what I need. Could someone be kind enough to point out the required parts?

http://www.internationalmotoparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e571f870021c54…

|
9/20/2015 7:49am
Do you have the proper tools and equipment to do the job? Its good to learn but if your only have 1 bike its not really cost effective to buy everything instead of sending it out.
9/20/2015 6:19pm
Do you have the proper tools and equipment to do the job? Its good to learn but if your only have 1 bike its not really...
Do you have the proper tools and equipment to do the job? Its good to learn but if your only have 1 bike its not really cost effective to buy everything instead of sending it out.
Well I have 7 motorcycles and out of those, 3 dirt bikes. I have a pretty good tool library so I'm not worried about doing it. Literally the rear shock is the only part of the bike I haven't done myself but after getting a few specialty tools (mainly the shock seal bullet and setting tool) it should be a fairly cheap to do again. Nonetheless, I did look at sending it out and it's more for the parts than sourcing them myself, and roughly $100 in labour in addition to shipping (probably $50 or more there). And I could buy everything for less and learn a whole lot too. The only thing I'm uncertain about is which OEM parts I'll need since the rear shock is a little more complex than forks.
9/20/2015 7:38pm
Well I have 7 motorcycles and out of those, 3 dirt bikes. I have a pretty good tool library so I'm not worried about doing it...
Well I have 7 motorcycles and out of those, 3 dirt bikes. I have a pretty good tool library so I'm not worried about doing it. Literally the rear shock is the only part of the bike I haven't done myself but after getting a few specialty tools (mainly the shock seal bullet and setting tool) it should be a fairly cheap to do again. Nonetheless, I did look at sending it out and it's more for the parts than sourcing them myself, and roughly $100 in labour in addition to shipping (probably $50 or more there). And I could buy everything for less and learn a whole lot too. The only thing I'm uncertain about is which OEM parts I'll need since the rear shock is a little more complex than forks.
Don't forget to check on a regulator and nitrogen tank.
captmoto
9/20/2015 8:18pm
Is a vacuum pump necessary for a shock rebuild?

The Shop

9/20/2015 8:57pm
Well I have 7 motorcycles and out of those, 3 dirt bikes. I have a pretty good tool library so I'm not worried about doing it...
Well I'm not gonna do that much rebuilding of shocks to need my own supply of nitrogen. My local shop can do nitrogen filling for a small fee. All I need to know is which parts are needed.
walent215
9/21/2015 5:50am
I would get a seal head and bladder...and 16 and 17 n the parts fiche
walent215
9/21/2015 5:51am
Pivot works or all balls have the seal head with seals already installed

Post a reply to: OEM Parts for a shock rebuild

The Latest