No toil on old filters?

moco
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2015 4:27pm
If you're going to make the switch to this stuff, is there any reason why you can't use it on your old filters that used traditional oil?
|
DoctorJD
2/20/2015 7:17am
moco wrote:
If you're going to make the switch to this stuff, is there any reason why you can't use it on your old filters that used traditional...
If you're going to make the switch to this stuff, is there any reason why you can't use it on your old filters that used traditional oil?
I've always heard that it's not a good idea. If you do it, just keep a close eye on your filter. When I first transitioned over to NT from traditional oil/cleaner I had a TwinAir that I'd already been using for a couple of months. After a couple of months of using NT oil and cleaner, it started to come apart on one of the seams. This may have been something that was going to happen regardless, it was just weird because I've had really good luck with TwinAir filters over the years. .
JBernard_401
2/20/2015 11:17am
clean ALL the old oil out of the filter first. I usually use gas. its nasty and not good for the filter but it seems to be the only thing to get it out. wash it out about 2X then run the no toil system from then on out. you dont want any of the old oil residue in the filter still, because the noToil cleaner wont touch it at ALL. it ONLY works with the no toil oil. but man does it work. filter looks brand new every time you clean it and it takes literally 30 seconds.
CamP
2/20/2015 11:25am
I've had dirt suck though a brand new air filter that was oiled with no-toil. Never had that happen in 40 years of riding, so back to Belray/Maxima filter oils for me.
Jim Lahey
2/20/2015 11:31am
clean ALL the old oil out of the filter first. I usually use gas. its nasty and not good for the filter but it seems to...
clean ALL the old oil out of the filter first. I usually use gas. its nasty and not good for the filter but it seems to be the only thing to get it out. wash it out about 2X then run the no toil system from then on out. you dont want any of the old oil residue in the filter still, because the noToil cleaner wont touch it at ALL. it ONLY works with the no toil oil. but man does it work. filter looks brand new every time you clean it and it takes literally 30 seconds.
Kerosene would be a better alternative

The Shop

kevingent55
2/20/2015 12:08pm
All of my TwinAirs fail at the seams over time using No Toil
moco
2/20/2015 2:43pm
Time for new filters then. That all sounds way too sketch about old residue. I would loose sleep.
Thanks for the warning shots
Hondas4Life3
2/20/2015 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2015 4:35pm
Clean it in paint thinner and that will get everything off of it. Finish with dawn/ warm (not hot but warm)water and scrub the soap into it with your hands. Rinse really well and let air dry. When rinsing squeeze it and let water soak into it and repeat until you are sure all the soap is out. After that it will be 100% clean. so you can use any filter treatment you want. I use No-toil for all filters. I recommend using their air filter grease on the sealing surface as well to ensure a good seal. They make good stuff.

Post a reply to: No toil on old filters?

The Latest