No Toil filter oil

Hold It On
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:45pm
Anyone had any problems with the filters seperating when using the new green NoToil?

Since the green stuff came out, I only get 2-3 washes before the filter seperates.

And yes, even with a new filter.
|
CamP
4/7/2011 7:40pm
No Toil sucks unless you are lazy and want something easy to clean.
mx5471
4/7/2011 8:18pm
I differ with your opinion. No-Toil is the best stuff going. I have used it for 7 years with twin air filters and have used some of those filters for over 3 years. Are you using very hot water when you clean them? The heat will separate the glue. I have had an 08 suzuki for 3 years,and it uses the same filter as our old yamaha's used. I just threw out a filter,a twin air, after 4 years of use,using only No-Toil,but the red stuff. I have heard this story for the last 7 years but it never happened to me. I have not tried the new green stuff,but I'm telling you anyone that doesn't use No-Toil is a fool. What do you use to clean your filter with,gas ,mineral spirits,kerosene,and how do you get rid of it,and how much does it cost? I go to wal-mart and buy a big tub of oxcy-clean for 6 bucks . I got a 2 gallon bucket,I put lukewarm water,just to help the soap dissolve. Then I throw a scoop of oxy in there and mix it up and throw the filter in there. Leave it in for a half hour and then repeat,because once the initial dirt comes out the solution loses it's effectiveness. You don't even have to touch it,just let it sit. I do it a 3rd time with just a little oxy,just to be sure all the dirt is out and it always is. Then I rinse it with water,throw it in the dryer,that's how clean it is,and then oil it up again. And the cleaning agent is free,water,and biodegradable. It's just stupid to fool around with all those chemicals and spend all that money to clean filters. I been cleaning 3 filters a week for the last 6 weeks and didn't even need a pair of gloves. I'm betting you are using very hot water,and melting the glue. I'm telling you,I have used filters for 3 and 4 years with No-Toil and never had the problem.
motofab36
4/8/2011 6:19am
I agree, nothing wrong with No Toil. I'll admit I did see a couple Uni filters start to come apart at the seams after awhile. I started using the No Toil filters and have never had another problem. The filters work and hold up just as good as any others and I have never seen any sign of any dust or dirt getting past the filter.
CamP
4/8/2011 10:36am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 10:38am
I've had dirt pass right through a new Twin Air filter that was oiled with NoToil. It may be the easiest oil to clean, but it's far from the best for your engine. That honor goes to Belray and Maxima FFT.

The Shop

Moto Mofo
4/8/2011 1:52pm
I've used NoToil for over 10 years now. At first, I was a little skeptical. However, I've never had ANY dirt pass through a filter using it. This includes not only riding moto, but long, dusty offroad races as well. I swear by it. Like mentioned above, I had some UNI filters come apart, but stock, Twin Air and NoToil filters have all held up great.
R551
4/8/2011 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 4:34pm
No-Toil is the best stuff on the market. I have used it for years and had great results, dirt does not get through that stuff. Have you tried using the No-Toil filter along with the cleaning system? Their filters are just as good and Twin-Air's, they actually hold up for longer and they cost less.
Hold It On
4/9/2011 2:40pm
mx5471 wrote:
I differ with your opinion. No-Toil is the best stuff going. I have used it for 7 years with twin air filters and have used some...
I differ with your opinion. No-Toil is the best stuff going. I have used it for 7 years with twin air filters and have used some of those filters for over 3 years. Are you using very hot water when you clean them? The heat will separate the glue. I have had an 08 suzuki for 3 years,and it uses the same filter as our old yamaha's used. I just threw out a filter,a twin air, after 4 years of use,using only No-Toil,but the red stuff. I have heard this story for the last 7 years but it never happened to me. I have not tried the new green stuff,but I'm telling you anyone that doesn't use No-Toil is a fool. What do you use to clean your filter with,gas ,mineral spirits,kerosene,and how do you get rid of it,and how much does it cost? I go to wal-mart and buy a big tub of oxcy-clean for 6 bucks . I got a 2 gallon bucket,I put lukewarm water,just to help the soap dissolve. Then I throw a scoop of oxy in there and mix it up and throw the filter in there. Leave it in for a half hour and then repeat,because once the initial dirt comes out the solution loses it's effectiveness. You don't even have to touch it,just let it sit. I do it a 3rd time with just a little oxy,just to be sure all the dirt is out and it always is. Then I rinse it with water,throw it in the dryer,that's how clean it is,and then oil it up again. And the cleaning agent is free,water,and biodegradable. It's just stupid to fool around with all those chemicals and spend all that money to clean filters. I been cleaning 3 filters a week for the last 6 weeks and didn't even need a pair of gloves. I'm betting you are using very hot water,and melting the glue. I'm telling you,I have used filters for 3 and 4 years with No-Toil and never had the problem.
Thanks mate, I've always used warm to hot water so that might be it. I just noticed it happened more regularly with the green gear.

I also agree with your views on the No-Toil system. No dirt or sand gets past it. I run Twin-Air filters and wash them after every ride. I haven't tried the No-Toil filter as yet.
Huffa
4/10/2011 5:23am
I have used it for years also with no problems.

I wonder why they changed it to the green though, I use the spray can and really liked the red better, you could spray it more consistent and it was not foamish at all like the green is.
yamadogyz
4/10/2011 12:42pm
I sunk a sweet position testing for No Toil, they sent me over a hundred bucks of stuff to test this week. I used their filters all my life, I used desiel fuel and paint thinner to clean them on multipul times. I have a feeling you got a fulty filter, what make is it? I haven't had a chance to try the green stuff but I doubt it would do any harm.
motofab36
4/11/2011 6:15am
yamadogyz wrote:
I sunk a sweet position testing for No Toil, they sent me over a hundred bucks of stuff to test this week. I used their filters...
I sunk a sweet position testing for No Toil, they sent me over a hundred bucks of stuff to test this week. I used their filters all my life, I used desiel fuel and paint thinner to clean them on multipul times. I have a feeling you got a fulty filter, what make is it? I haven't had a chance to try the green stuff but I doubt it would do any harm.
Why would you use diesel fuel or paint thinner when part of the great thing about no toil is being able to use the biodegradable cleaner in water?

As for oiling the filters, we have always poured a couple bottles of oil in a large plastic bowl with a lid, submerge a clean dry filter in the oil then sqeeze out the excess oil back into the bowl and put the lid on bowl. The filter gets oiled completely and there is no waiste.
mx5471
4/11/2011 2:10pm
No-Toil is the best. Why anyone would deal with all the chemicals in the other filter oils and spend $4 dollars a gallon on diesel fuel to clean them,I don't know. And then how do you dispose of it? It's very toxic. I'm not a fan of Uni-Filters at all.They are junk. I've been using Oxy-clean instead of the No-Toil cleaner,because it's cheaper. A 3.5 pound tub of it at Wal-Mart is $6. It's the same stuff.Works great. Just follow my instructions from the previous post and your filters will last 3 years.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/11/2011 8:36pm
motofab36 wrote:
Why would you use diesel fuel or paint thinner when part of the great thing about no toil is being able to use the biodegradable cleaner...
Why would you use diesel fuel or paint thinner when part of the great thing about no toil is being able to use the biodegradable cleaner in water?

As for oiling the filters, we have always poured a couple bottles of oil in a large plastic bowl with a lid, submerge a clean dry filter in the oil then sqeeze out the excess oil back into the bowl and put the lid on bowl. The filter gets oiled completely and there is no waiste.
I tried a similar method with regular filter oil and i found that the oil tended to evaporate for some reason. I'd take the lid off and half the oil would be gone.

I'm looking to switch to no toil and just wondering whether you had the same evaporation issues with that as with regular filter oil?
Huffa
4/12/2011 2:37am
yamadogyz wrote:
Thats before I found their cleaner.
Before you "found" their cleaner, so when you got the supplies you had no idea the concept behind their product, didn't read directions, just curious here ?
yamadogyz
4/12/2011 12:10pm
yamadogyz wrote:
Thats before I found their cleaner.
Huffa wrote:
Before you "found" their cleaner, so when you got the supplies you had no idea the concept behind their product, didn't read directions, just curious here...
Before you "found" their cleaner, so when you got the supplies you had no idea the concept behind their product, didn't read directions, just curious here ?
Sorry, what are you asking? Do you mean the directions to the air filter? The directions to the cleaner? The oil?

If your asking about the filter, I understand that it's not good for the glue bonds. But desiel fuel is what we usually have on hand, and filter cleaner we don't.

I of corse read the directions to all the testing products and followed them exactly. All I'm saying is that before, I would be lucky to have some air filter cleaner in a spray can. It didn't work all that great and I would use gas, fuel, paint thinner, ect... to clean air filters on most occasions. Once I got the opportunity to test No Toil's cleaner, I swiched over becasue I liked it so much. I found it was worth the money, easy to use, and did a great job.
CamP
4/12/2011 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2011 12:20pm
"Easiest" and "best" are almost always mutually exclusive. No-toil may be the easiest to clean, but it's not the best at keeping dirt out of your engine. I've been oiling filters for 40 years and the only oil that's ever allowed dirt through one of my filters is no-toil.
mx5471
4/12/2011 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2011 11:04pm
CamP. After 40 years you know whats good.But you have your preferences. If the people followed your advise about cleaning filters ,they should just buy new ones every time. It would be cheaper than cleaning them. No-Toil is great stuff.
MXD
4/13/2011 7:17am
I had a buddy that ruined a top end because dirt got through the filter. When we looked at the filter closely you could see that it was getting through in specific patterns. Come to find out, he was not shaking his oil up so some of the filter had pure oil and other parts had that watery mix (alcohol maybe?) that is meant to evaporate off once applied. You need to mix it real good before you apply it otherwise you will have problems. I have been using it since 03 without any issues. The best part is I throw my filters in the washing machine with some dish soap and oxi-clean and they are done. Good as new.
CamP
4/13/2011 8:09am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2011 8:28am
mx5471 wrote:
CamP. After 40 years you know whats good.But you have your preferences. If the people followed your advise about cleaning filters ,they should just buy new...
CamP. After 40 years you know whats good.But you have your preferences. If the people followed your advise about cleaning filters ,they should just buy new ones every time. It would be cheaper than cleaning them. No-Toil is great stuff.
Cheaper than cleaning them? $6 worth of diesel will clean about 10 filters. After that I screen out the solids with a paint filter and use it again. From an economic stand point, an oil like Belray or Maxima FFT actually saves you money because you don't have to clean the filter as often as you do with No-toil. You can ride until the filter is completely covered in dirt before servicing it. That's 4-5 hours on the prepped tracks I ride.

What I found with no-toil is that you have to religiously service the filter before every single ride because the oil gravitates to the bottom of the filter over time, leaving the top of the filter dry. That's where I ran into trouble with it. My bike sat for a few weeks with a fresh filter, then I went to a dry sand track and rode 4 motos. When I pulled the filter, it was passing silt through the top of the filter because all the oil had migrated to the bottom. Servicing the filter the day before every ride is unrealistic for me so I'm back with good old Belray and Maxima. With them, I can get more rides out of a filter without worrying that the oil is going to stay put. More rides between service saves me money and it's less work.

Replacing filters every 15-20 hours is a very good idea though.
E-man811
4/14/2011 9:45am
My only gripe with No-toil is, as CamP said, the oil does not stay put on the filter. It's not about the stickiness of the oil.

It is Belray filter oil for me and the crummy routine of cleaning them, because servicing the filter the day before I ride is not always possible. From I have seen, just me, I don't trust that No-Toil will stay in place more than a day or two.
MXD
4/14/2011 11:59am
E-man811 wrote:
My only gripe with No-toil is, as CamP said, the oil does not stay put on the filter. It's not about the stickiness of the oil...
My only gripe with No-toil is, as CamP said, the oil does not stay put on the filter. It's not about the stickiness of the oil.

It is Belray filter oil for me and the crummy routine of cleaning them, because servicing the filter the day before I ride is not always possible. From I have seen, just me, I don't trust that No-Toil will stay in place more than a day or two.
The guys that are having problems with the oil running off the filter, do you let it "dry" before you install it? The instructions say to let the filter stand for about 15 minutes before you put it in the bike. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
E-man811
4/14/2011 1:32pm
MXD wrote:
The guys that are having problems with the oil running off the filter, do you let it "dry" before you install it? The instructions say to...
The guys that are having problems with the oil running off the filter, do you let it "dry" before you install it? The instructions say to let the filter stand for about 15 minutes before you put it in the bike. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Admittedly, my beliefs came only from observing other people's experiences and results, not from trying the product myself.

Cleaning filters has never been an ordeal for me and my solvents are recycled. So I've never been motivated to try something that is "easier" or "greener" that had some risks to it.

I can still be swayed. I wouldn't cost me much to buy a bottle of oil and test it. I'll see how sticky it is and how well it stays put after it dries on some filters I have laying around.
neysbo
4/15/2011 7:37pm
Been using no toil for 5 years on our fleet of bikes and no problems. Actually the new green seems tackier but never had any problems with the red. Filters come out looking like new after cleaning.
XXVoid MainXX
10/29/2020 8:32am
Does No-Toil have a shelf life? I just put a Rotweiller system on my new 1290 Super Duke and was going to use No-Toil on it. Was about to head out and buy a new can but noticed I had a brand new can on the shelf dated 4/11/2007. Smile
XXVoid MainXX
10/29/2020 10:46am
Never mind. I sprayed some on a paper towel and it wasn't sticky at all so I ordered a new can.
10/30/2020 4:51am
I LOVE No Toil and my air box is perfectly clean every time I change a filter which is every ride, I don't get dirt through the filter ever. I did have it dripping off after installed but I found that I was using too much oil and I let it sit before install.

I spread it on the outside of the filter squeeze it through until I see it on the inside or the color changes on the inside, I then ring it out wipe the excess and I always use rim grease from No Toil as well.
10/30/2020 6:55am
I recently switched from no toil. I could never see dirt that got through, but if I wiped the inside of my air boot with a rag it would get brown spots on it. I used maxima years ago and didn’t have that issue, so I switched back
XXVoid MainXX
10/30/2020 11:07am
After picking up a new can I think my old can was probably fine. The new stuff doesn't look or feel any different.

Post a reply to: No Toil filter oil

The Latest