Nitrogen setup.

Gale19XX
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2015 7:48pm
Recently purchased the RT nitrogen gauge and hose. Just getting to look at tanks and regulators. Any dos and don't before I buy? Not familiar with the benefits of the different metals when it comes to tanks. Also anyone find any good buys online? My local welding supply store is pretty pricey when buying a new 22cu tank.
|
mxtech1
8/13/2015 7:25am
You can get a 20cf tank on Ebay for under $100. I think I got mine for around $75 shipped. If you are just servicing your own shock, 20cf of Nitrogen will last you a long time. I get my tank refilled at a local SJ Smith.

I use an RHP400 Nitrogen regulator, also available on Ebay for $45 to $60.
Gale19XX
8/13/2015 10:07am
Hey thanks I appreciate it. You pretty satisfied with your regulator? I opted out of the race tech regulator due to the price. Until I understood better why such a high price when similar regulators are less than half their asking price. I was guessing accuracy had something to do with the price but haven't heard any complaints yet on the cheaper regulators.
mxtech1
8/13/2015 11:39am
My RHP400 regulator is very accurate. I have a very precise pressure gauge that I trust, and the readings are always within +/-.5 psi. The bigger concern is loss while opening and closing the connection to the bladder.

The real trick to getting an accurate fill is the build an adapter for the line so that you can screw the line directly onto the shrader valve. Once screwed on and with the Nitrogen regulator set at the desired PSI, open the regulator fully, let it fill and then close the regulator valve. This ensures minimal loss at the line connection.
cwtoyota
8/13/2015 1:25pm
Sounds like you're buying new, but If you buy a used compressed gas cylinder, make sure the date stamp is current. A quick internet search will turn up more information than you'll ever want to know about compressed gas cylinders and date stamps.

The Shop

mxtech1
8/13/2015 1:30pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Sounds like you're buying new, but If you buy a used compressed gas cylinder, make sure the date stamp is current. A quick internet search will...
Sounds like you're buying new, but If you buy a used compressed gas cylinder, make sure the date stamp is current. A quick internet search will turn up more information than you'll ever want to know about compressed gas cylinders and date stamps.
Good point!

For safety reasons, many gas supply companies will not charge a cylinder that's expired.

I was also turned away once because the outside layer of my line had a small fray in the protective layer. They politely refused my business until I had replaced the line.
Bruce372
8/13/2015 4:09pm
I bought a small argon cylinder from a local welding shop for less than $100. Ivery filled shocks with argon for years. The important thing is to get a no loss chuck, there was a guy selling some cool setups on ebay.
cwtoyota
8/14/2015 8:36am
Bruce372 wrote:
I bought a small argon cylinder from a local welding shop for less than $100. Ivery filled shocks with argon for years. The important thing is...
I bought a small argon cylinder from a local welding shop for less than $100. Ivery filled shocks with argon for years. The important thing is to get a no loss chuck, there was a guy selling some cool setups on ebay.
Argon should work well, it's just more expensive to buy. If you already have it for your welding rig, I suppose that's a whole lot cheaper than buying another cylinder just to do five or six shock rebuilds a year.

Honestly you can use compressed air or just about any other compressed gas. I'm pretty sure the issue with compressed air is the high moisture content. I am pretty sure the reason Nitrogen is used is simply because it's the most abundant gas in our atmosphere, thus very inexpensive, it is inert and it is stable.

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
8/14/2015 10:07am
Not sure what size my tank is. It's about 8" in diameter and comes up to about mid-thigh. I've been using it to refill shocks for over 15 yrs and it still shows over 2,000 psi. Guess I'll be good for a while!

I put the RT no-loss filler with gauge on the regulator and connected them with an isolater 90 degree throw valve in the middle. I also have a thumb screw bleed off valve on there. That way I can let the nitrogen flow into the shock and flush all the air for a few seconds, then I close the bleed valve and let it charge to final pressure. Then I back off the zero-loss to seal it at that pressure.

The biggest hassle is trying to get the zero-loss chuck to fit on a lot of these shocks that have the schraeder valve at weird angles or recessed into the bladder cap. I end up using a schraeder extender on some of them and of course have to use the needle on some of these shocks that are on the KXF's and others.
swatdoc
8/15/2015 5:14pm
Nitrogen is preferred in shocks, forks, tires, etc because the pressure doesn't change as much as air does with temperature change
Gale19XX
8/17/2015 4:09pm
I appreciate the help guys. Went with a 43cu ft tank today from a local S.J. Smith. Paid $130 for the tank and it came filled. Also ordered the RHP400 regulator. Hopefully all goes well. Got a couple shocks sittin here waitin to get put to use.
BAMX
8/18/2015 9:13pm
You need something like this that allows you to accurately fill the bladder. The volume is so low that a normal tire type air chuck wont do. Many aren't even safe to use at the high of a pressure. First, screw the adapter onto the schraeder valve. Then you open the valve and allow the nitrogen in. You can then close the valve and remove the adapter. You can find them online or Ebay.

mxtech1
8/19/2015 6:52am
BAMX wrote:
You need something like this that allows you to accurately fill the bladder. The volume is so low that a normal tire type air chuck wont...
You need something like this that allows you to accurately fill the bladder. The volume is so low that a normal tire type air chuck wont do. Many aren't even safe to use at the high of a pressure. First, screw the adapter onto the schraeder valve. Then you open the valve and allow the nitrogen in. You can then close the valve and remove the adapter. You can find them online or Ebay.

Have that on my setup.

It's a sweet piece!
Gale19XX
8/20/2015 8:14am
Would I use that along with this? Anyone got a link for it?

Oldnslo
8/20/2015 1:19pm
Buy a quality no loss chuck or it doesn't matter how accurate your gauge is if you are losing gas on insertion and dismount...
Gale19XX
8/21/2015 4:03pm
BAMX wrote:
You need something like this that allows you to accurately fill the bladder. The volume is so low that a normal tire type air chuck wont...

mxtech1 wrote:
Have that on my setup.

It's a sweet piece!
What's that part name I can search for that exact on ebay?
Bruce372
8/21/2015 10:12pm
Zero loss chuck

They had a new version that looked like it will give more clearance at the valve.

Don't forget, some of the kawis need a needle instead
lumpy790
8/23/2015 7:35pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Zero loss chuck They had a new version that looked like it will give more clearance at the valve. Don't forget, some of the kawis need...
Zero loss chuck

They had a new version that looked like it will give more clearance at the valve.

Don't forget, some of the kawis need a needle instead
not aware of Kaw models needing the needle but older Yamaha and I believe Ohlins did.

Post a reply to: Nitrogen setup.

The Latest