Necj needle 250sx

rallendude
7/13/2015 3:21pm
You'll love it. I'm on a 45 pilot I believe and a 175 main. Probably a little on the rich side with the weather like it is now since this worked well in the winter too.
chestersx
7/13/2015 3:28pm
rallendude wrote:
You'll love it. I'm on a 45 pilot I believe and a 175 main. Probably a little on the rich side with the weather like it...
You'll love it. I'm on a 45 pilot I believe and a 175 main. Probably a little on the rich side with the weather like it is now since this worked well in the winter too.
Revs to the moon and idles perfect pulls like a 4 stroke in 5th gear I love it!
JBernard_401
7/13/2015 5:35pm
i love my jetting setup with the NECJ.
starts first kick. idles perfect on the stand for however long i want. has never had 1 drip of splooge and never bogs.
run straight 110 which helps a good bit, but i dont even mess with the jetting anymore. dialed in.

The Shop

7/13/2015 7:02pm
I have the necj 42 pilot, 180 main needle 3rd clip, vp c12 , my motor is modded though by jbonemotorworks , its a 300sx, and a FN blast to ride! I dont think ill ever go back to a fourstroke again, this bike is just to much fun! Today I just put some new wp conevalves on it, not enough time yet to compare to my ohlins but they felt pretty good.
chestersx
7/13/2015 7:13pm
I have the necj 42 pilot, 180 main needle 3rd clip, vp c12 , my motor is modded though by jbonemotorworks , its a 300sx, and...
I have the necj 42 pilot, 180 main needle 3rd clip, vp c12 , my motor is modded though by jbonemotorworks , its a 300sx, and a FN blast to ride! I dont think ill ever go back to a fourstroke again, this bike is just to much fun! Today I just put some new wp conevalves on it, not enough time yet to compare to my ohlins but they felt pretty good.
I love 2 strokes but this will be the last one I will be moving over to the fuel injected side soon I plan to start getting race gas ran in this bike and do some more changes over time, damn good looking steed you've got!
WVUpetro2013
7/14/2015 6:23am
I would say yes. I was running the same set up and after putting the new needle in I had to bump up to a 168mj and even then it feels a little lean
RMRider1
7/14/2015 8:55am
Is this needle better than the CEJ needle? Should I try the NECJ? Where did you guys buy it? I have an '06 CR 250 with the Keihin air stiker.
chestersx
7/14/2015 9:07am
RMRider1 wrote:
Is this needle better than the CEJ needle? Should I try the NECJ? Where did you guys buy it? I have an '06 CR 250 with...
Is this needle better than the CEJ needle? Should I try the NECJ? Where did you guys buy it? I have an '06 CR 250 with the Keihin air stiker.
The needle paired with my 172 mj makes the bike very smooth and it revs to the moon and pulls like a 4 stroke in 5th gear! You can get the needle on motosport.com part number is 13383-37fe0
RMRider1
7/14/2015 9:32am
RMRider1 wrote:
Is this needle better than the CEJ needle? Should I try the NECJ? Where did you guys buy it? I have an '06 CR 250 with...
chestersx wrote:
The needle paired with my 172 mj makes the bike very smooth and it revs to the moon and pulls like a 4 stroke in 5th...
The needle paired with my 172 mj makes the bike very smooth and it revs to the moon and pulls like a 4 stroke in 5th gear! You can get the needle on motosport.com part number is 13383-37fe0
Thanks!
chestersx
7/14/2015 10:19am
Yes I am 1,376 feet elevation with temps around high 80s I would try around 170-172 try a 42 if it's too rich and you have splooge drop to the 40 my clip position is on the 3rd it's a race gas setting 4th would be for pump. Be careful when you install that main jet just get it finger tight they are very easy to break!
rallendude
7/14/2015 11:21am
Cooler temps calls for higher mains btw. If you're riding MX with a lot of wide open pulls I'd suggest you go 172-175 on the main. If you're woods riding you can get away with a lot smaller main. I know guys using 40 pilot and 158 mains in the woods that get 100 hours from a top end but their bikes are not wide open that often.

The bike comes with a horrible needle taper and rich on the pilot and lean on the main. This leads to a lot of lumbering around and then a quick shreak before time to shift gears.

The NEJC needle swap is the best thing I've done to my KTM (along with pilot and main adjustments).
chestersx
7/14/2015 11:29am
rallendude wrote:
Cooler temps calls for higher mains btw. If you're riding MX with a lot of wide open pulls I'd suggest you go 172-175 on the main...
Cooler temps calls for higher mains btw. If you're riding MX with a lot of wide open pulls I'd suggest you go 172-175 on the main. If you're woods riding you can get away with a lot smaller main. I know guys using 40 pilot and 158 mains in the woods that get 100 hours from a top end but their bikes are not wide open that often.

The bike comes with a horrible needle taper and rich on the pilot and lean on the main. This leads to a lot of lumbering around and then a quick shreak before time to shift gears.

The NEJC needle swap is the best thing I've done to my KTM (along with pilot and main adjustments).
These bikes just crave fuel I definitely agree with you're statement!
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/14/2015 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 4:56pm
RMRider1 wrote:
The NECJ needle is too lean for your 06' cr250. If you want to use a Suzuki needle, you'll want to use an NEDW, with a 42 pilot and a 172 main, and a #7 slide. That is what I use in my 07' cr. I bounce back and forth between the NEDW and an N3CW with a #8 slide.

The NECJ needle is for the KTM 250's and 300's. You can also use it in a Yamaha and Suzuki 250's as well, but the main jet size varies a little bit between all of them.
RMRider1
7/15/2015 8:43am
RMRider1 wrote:
digger wrote:
The NECJ needle is too lean for your 06' cr250. If you want to use a Suzuki needle, you'll want to use an NEDW, with a...
The NECJ needle is too lean for your 06' cr250. If you want to use a Suzuki needle, you'll want to use an NEDW, with a 42 pilot and a 172 main, and a #7 slide. That is what I use in my 07' cr. I bounce back and forth between the NEDW and an N3CW with a #8 slide.

The NECJ needle is for the KTM 250's and 300's. You can also use it in a Yamaha and Suzuki 250's as well, but the main jet size varies a little bit between all of them.
Thanks for the info digger!
sandman768
7/16/2015 5:38am
just tested the necj in my 2015 xc 300, with 38 pilot & 172 main. much better throttle response, slightly rich for what I"m riding, leaned clip to 2nd position, better, I may go back to stock 35 pilot. I"m not riding full on mx with the bike but more like gncc stuff, some tighter trails, some wide open. if I did ride it on full mx track I would move clip back to 3rd position. , the 300 can rev but seems to be more effective when short shifted & lugged, this may explain the need for my leaner jetting vs the 250? anyway, this needle is very good, much better than stock ktm needle, now I can play with pilot & mains to fine tune..thanks guys!
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/16/2015 8:00am
sandman768 wrote:
just tested the necj in my 2015 xc 300, with 38 pilot & 172 main. much better throttle response, slightly rich for what I"m riding, leaned...
just tested the necj in my 2015 xc 300, with 38 pilot & 172 main. much better throttle response, slightly rich for what I"m riding, leaned clip to 2nd position, better, I may go back to stock 35 pilot. I"m not riding full on mx with the bike but more like gncc stuff, some tighter trails, some wide open. if I did ride it on full mx track I would move clip back to 3rd position. , the 300 can rev but seems to be more effective when short shifted & lugged, this may explain the need for my leaner jetting vs the 250? anyway, this needle is very good, much better than stock ktm needle, now I can play with pilot & mains to fine tune..thanks guys!
The jetting needs to be leaner on the 300's, due to the 300's increased draw of air through carburetor over the 250's. The pilots and needles are similar between the 2, but the 300's will generally require a smaller main jet.

If you are looking to clean up the bottom end response a little over the NECJ, You're think you should just change to a smaller 35 pilot jet, but I never found that a 35 pilot works well with the Suzuki needles. All of the 300's I have worked on liked to be in the 38-40 range. I have used a NEDK needle, which would be the next leaner needle in the Suzuki series, that really cleans up the bottom. I have also used an N3WK Suzuki needle that worked really. It has a nice little hit into the middle, but is very clean off the bottom. When I have used that needle I usually but an extra turn of preload on the power valve spring.
sandman768
7/20/2015 5:35am
sandman768 wrote:
just tested the necj in my 2015 xc 300, with 38 pilot & 172 main. much better throttle response, slightly rich for what I"m riding, leaned...
digger wrote:
The jetting needs to be leaner on the 300's, due to the 300's increased draw of air through carburetor over the 250's. The pilots and needles...
The jetting needs to be leaner on the 300's, due to the 300's increased draw of air through carburetor over the 250's. The pilots and needles are similar between the 2, but the 300's will generally require a smaller main jet.

If you are looking to clean up the bottom end response a little over the NECJ, You're think you should just change to a smaller 35 pilot jet, but I never found that a 35 pilot works well with the Suzuki needles. All of the 300's I have worked on liked to be in the 38-40 range. I have used a NEDK needle, which would be the next leaner needle in the Suzuki series, that really cleans up the bottom. I have also used an N3WK Suzuki needle that worked really. It has a nice little hit into the middle, but is very clean off the bottom. When I have used that needle I usually but an extra turn of preload on the power valve spring.
Digger, Ifinally made it to Catraland yesterday for a woods beatdown! I left my jetting as stated above & it worked very good. could have went leaner on main, but still ran very clean with great throttle response, lots of chuggin up the hills, very low rpm, never skipped a beat or loaded up.My bike is no longer "new".
Pirate421
7/27/2015 10:25am
I have a stock 2014 250sx down in Texas. I was using the Necj earlier this year but it felt a little too lean in the 70-80* temp range we were also at about 500ft elevation. Now we are in the 90-100* with higher humidity and I found the NECW to work really well with a 40 pilot and 175 main this spring. I would like to lean out the needle a little because the jetting is a bit rich and I believe the NECW is 1/2 clip richer than the NECJ? Should I raise the clip on the NECW from 3rd to 2nd of drop in my NECJ on the third clip? NECJ 4th felt richer than NECW 3rd so in thinking if I want to be slightly leaner than my NECW 3rd just to use NECJ 3rd
gameover
7/28/2015 7:16pm
rallendude wrote:
You'll love it. I'm on a 45 pilot I believe and a 175 main. Probably a little on the rich side with the weather like it...
chestersx wrote:
Revs to the moon and idles perfect pulls like a 4 stroke in 5th gear I love it!
Assuming your bike came with a 36mm carb....

Haha...you think it revs ehhh?

You should dump the 36mm carb and get a 38mm carb. Theeen it'll rev!Wink
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/28/2015 9:21pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I have a stock 2014 250sx down in Texas. I was using the Necj earlier this year but it felt a little too lean in the...
I have a stock 2014 250sx down in Texas. I was using the Necj earlier this year but it felt a little too lean in the 70-80* temp range we were also at about 500ft elevation. Now we are in the 90-100* with higher humidity and I found the NECW to work really well with a 40 pilot and 175 main this spring. I would like to lean out the needle a little because the jetting is a bit rich and I believe the NECW is 1/2 clip richer than the NECJ? Should I raise the clip on the NECW from 3rd to 2nd of drop in my NECJ on the third clip? NECJ 4th felt richer than NECW 3rd so in thinking if I want to be slightly leaner than my NECW 3rd just to use NECJ 3rd
The straight section or starting diameter on the NECJ is slightly leaner than the NECW. This has nothing to do with the clip height, which are the exact same between the 2 needles. The starting diameter affect about the first 40% of throttle position. After that 1st 40% throttle the needles are exactly the same. The real question is, where in the throttle range do you feel that the bike is running rich ? By changing the starting diameter and or changing the clip position you are affecting 2 different areas in the throttle range with some over lap. The clip position affects from about 25%--75% of the throttle range
Pirate421
7/29/2015 4:15am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2015 4:22am
Pirate421 wrote:
I have a stock 2014 250sx down in Texas. I was using the Necj earlier this year but it felt a little too lean in the...
digger wrote:
The straight section or starting diameter on the NECJ is slightly leaner than the NECW. This has nothing to do with the clip height, which are...
The straight section or starting diameter on the NECJ is slightly leaner than the NECW. This has nothing to do with the clip height, which are the exact same between the 2 needles. The starting diameter affect about the first 40% of throttle position. After that 1st 40% throttle the needles are exactly the same. The real question is, where in the throttle range do you feel that the bike is running rich ? By changing the starting diameter and or changing the clip position you are affecting 2 different areas in the throttle range with some over lap. The clip position affects from about 25%--75% of the throttle range
Thanks for the reply digger. What I'm running into is now that it's hot the bike takes some choke to get started from fully cold. Once warm it takes maybe 2 kicks but I need to give a little throttle blip while I'm kicking. The NECJ would start cold or hot first kick no throttle or choke. I run both needles at the third clip. Where I think the NECJ was lean was about 1/3 to 2/3 throttle the bike felt really raspy/tinny and was revving out really fast. I tried bigger mains but the mid throttle was still too raspy/lean for me. When I swapped in the NECW the power came back and it would rev farther and I shifted less. Now that it's so hot I'm thinking the NECJ may work again. It's about 100 here everyday with high humidity. My NECW now feels a bit blubbery around mid throttle I remember with my old 250sx whenever the power would break up or be a little blubbery I would raise the clip and it would smooth out.
rallendude
7/29/2015 12:55pm
Where is your air screw set? What you describe doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Having to choke a bike to start is perfectly normal. What matters is how it runs when the choke is off. I'd try 1.5 turns out on the air screw, put that NECJ back in and go with a 42 or 45 pilot when it gets colder out again. What PV spring are you running?
Pirate421
7/29/2015 1:59pm
AS is at 1.5-1.75 turns out. Bike won't run on anything bigger than a 40 pilot but the AS is good because the throttle picks up strong from idle il when it's cracked open. I wasn't worried about the choke so much as the NECJ starts much easier, no throttle or choke needed. The middle throttle was where it was feeling really Lean when I had the NECJ in. Hard to explain but real raspy and pingy. But that was in cooler temps and now the NECW feels a little too rich so I'm thinking of going back to the necj. Power valve is red spring with about 1 turn in from flush
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/29/2015 6:12pm
Pirate421 wrote:
digger wrote:
The straight section or starting diameter on the NECJ is slightly leaner than the NECW. This has nothing to do with the clip height, which are...
Pirate421 wrote:
Thanks for the reply digger. What I'm running into is now that it's hot the bike takes some choke to get started from fully cold. Once...
Thanks for the reply digger. What I'm running into is now that it's hot the bike takes some choke to get started from fully cold. Once warm it takes maybe 2 kicks but I need to give a little throttle blip while I'm kicking. The NECJ would start cold or hot first kick no throttle or choke. I run both needles at the third clip. Where I think the NECJ was lean was about 1/3 to 2/3 throttle the bike felt really raspy/tinny and was revving out really fast. I tried bigger mains but the mid throttle was still too raspy/lean for me. When I swapped in the NECW the power came back and it would rev farther and I shifted less. Now that it's so hot I'm thinking the NECJ may work again. It's about 100 here everyday with high humidity. My NECW now feels a bit blubbery around mid throttle I remember with my old 250sx whenever the power would break up or be a little blubbery I would raise the clip and it would smooth out.
Yes, now is the time to use the leaner diameter NECJ needle or even an NEDJ needle, which is identical to the NECJ, but 1/2 clip position richer. To obtain the cleaner running bottom end response.Start out with the NECJ in #3, a 40 pilot and the 175 main. Adjust the air screw as needled. If the NECJ needle doesn't feel right in the #2 or #3 clip positions , you may need the NEDJ needle.
Pirate421
7/29/2015 8:24pm
That's what I will do and thanks for the heads up on the NEDJ I'm guessing the NECW must be a full clip richer which is funny because they don't act the same when I had them set up as NECw 3rd should have run the same as necj 4th clip. Who knows thanks for the tip

Post a reply to: Necj needle 250sx

The Latest