My top end. Opinions?

40Plus_922mx
Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 7:32pm
Ok so after ignoring my project for a week this Saturday was time to take a look at the heart of the matter. The engine. I also detail out everything that is not going to get replaced. Again the frame! I swear it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. As much as I would like to strip it down and go Factory white am not. I know this will rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I decided to not to a replica but a combo of the factory look (96 1-800-collect). And also money ain't what it used to be so The red will stay.

Again, I have never done a 2 stroke top end. I do have decent mechanical abilities. But I am learning my way through this. So tell me what you think. Looks to my like this dude ran this bike very rich (wait till you see the power valve). And in doing so probably kept the engine well lubed. The cylinder walls appear to still have the hone marks from the last go around. There are barely any vertical marks or scoring. And the wall surface is as smooth as a mirror when i run my finger nail around it.

From there I checked the play in the rod bearing. I rotated the crank all the way around and checked for up and down play and there is absolutely zero. I triple checked because I was a little giddy as this means (if I am correct ?) that the bottom end is still good to go.

So I am thinking new piston and rings. Opinions? Take a look at the cylinder and tell me what you think?

Is this normal?
|
JBernard_401
10/20/2014 12:56pm
im not experienced by any means but that doesnt look as bad as i thought. cant see any signs of detonation either.

yes rings like that are completely normal. funny video but its good youre asking questions.

you compress the rings together when you slide the cylinder back on and they expand inside the cylinder to make a tight fitment.

watch this video next for some extra learning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEjQ7B1uM8
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/20/2014 2:01pm
Get us a close up pic of the plug tip and also a clear pic of the underside of the piston dome.

Also, what year CR250? Does it still have the stock carb? What jetting is in the carb? What does the silencer packing look like?

These answers will help analyze what's going on.
simmons97
10/20/2014 2:59pm
Honestly it looks great. Zero scouring in the cylinder, piston and rings look like they are VERY new, and cylinder head shows little carbon. I think this engine has very little time on it and that it's worth checking the ring end gap and skirt diameter to see if they are still in spec! I'll bet they're still in new condition! However the sooty look of the combustion chamber and piston crown is quite normal. Take some fine sand paper and scrape them up real quick to see what they look like for real! All the carbon deposits should come off quite easily. Also, oil in the power valves is VERY common. Most bikes will leak oily soot out the power valve vent hose. Even off the showroom floor with 1 hour on the bike! You just can't perfectly seal it!

In conclusion, grab a micrometer and check your parts to try and re-use them as it looks VERY good. I rebuilt a top end that had 4 hours on it and it looked a lot worse. You lucked out man!
mark_swart
10/20/2014 3:38pm
I'd do new piston/rings and call it a day. Troll ebay and you'll probably find what you need for $100-ish no problem. They used the same piston for nearly a decade if I remember correctly.

The Shop

40Plus_922mx
10/20/2014 7:09pm
FGR01 wrote:
Get us a close up pic of the plug tip and also a clear pic of the underside of the piston dome. Also, what year CR250...
Get us a close up pic of the plug tip and also a clear pic of the underside of the piston dome.

Also, what year CR250? Does it still have the stock carb? What jetting is in the carb? What does the silencer packing look like?

These answers will help analyze what's going on.
93 CR250.
Stock Carb. 175 main. 2nd clip from the top. Not sure on the air screw or pilot.
Black Spooge all over the swingarm, out the end of the silencer. Silencer feels like it weighs 10 lbs.
I am sure the prev owner ran a rich mixture and roxe it like a grandma.
40Plus_922mx
10/20/2014 7:10pm
This engine compression tested at 90psi. Forgot to mention that.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/20/2014 7:32pm
This engine compression tested at 90psi. Forgot to mention that.
Yep, thing is all good and spooged up. I think once you get that all cleaned out and silencer repacked it will be a different bike. 90 psi sounds about right for the amount of blowby that piston is showing.

If I remember correctly, I think I usually ran a 170-172 in my CR250's back in that time frame unless it was cold out, then 175-178.

Post a reply to: My top end. Opinions?

The Latest